kenwards colliery in a box file

Hi all just made a new start on a box file layout post-26535-0-26945700-1546714625.jpgpost-26535-0-54459200-1546714647.jpgpost-26535-0-43720900-1546714666.jpg  just  before  the xmass  holl  started  i had been looking at some think to build it had to be small and made from just bits i had lay ing around out he scrap box  .  i was much inspired by lukes cronton  colliery sheds  layout . so this is what i have made so  far .

• Like 7

Thanks all for your  comments . i have been trying to delve in to box file layouts  for some time but was never sure what to try or a plan that would provide some form of interest . i have never really been drawn towards the coal industry in the past then some years ago at a local expo in uckfield i saw the layout stoating bank  by oly turner & chris matthews  then at the same venue later another one of there layouts six quarters appeared i was hooked  . so a box file seemed a good size to start . and as i said early on lukes cronton colliery sheds fired it all off . allso i began to notice that there where some amaze ing  small layouts out there  built on a shoe string budget  and i that i could build some think from every day bits so with a old box file a few cardboard boxes i am have ing a good bit of fun  .

• Like 1

hi luke  the J94  you like is one of the DJ models  locos  i nearly brought one of the Hornby J94'S  . 1ST off  its a fantastic model but i have been a bit disappointment by its running performance as i run it on DCC  i have tried 2 type of decoders so far a zen 6 pin  with a keep alive  and then a gauge master 6 pin none of them improved its running i have a NCE power cab  but i have not really mastered the art of program ing   or change ing the CV's  as a last ditch effort  i have now brought a LENZ  gold mini 6 pin and will try this out  fingers crossed 

hi luke the J94 you like is one of the DJ models locos i nearly brought one of the Hornby J94'S . 1ST off its a fantastic model but i have been a bit disappointment by its running performance as i run it on DCC i have tried 2 type of decoders so far a zen 6 pin with a keep alive and then a gauge master 6 pin none of them improved its running i have a NCE power cab but i have not really mastered the art of program ing or change ing the CV's as a last ditch effort i have now brought a LENZ gold mini 6 pin and will try this out fingers crossed

I too have experienced running problems with it. Its pulling power is quite abysmal and for me it started off fine then decreased over time. Apparently it stalls a lot because of the method of pick ups that it comes off the bearings but the grease fitted to them in the factory can apparently break the electrical continuity even by getting into the bearings even on straight track. I've not run my j94 since August and now use it mostly for a photo prop though would love to see it running again. The detail on it is quite fantastic but the actual construction of it is pretty poor. The problem is that it's very difficult to take apart to gain access to the pickups/motor to be able to modify and change the current design.

hi luke  the J94  you like is one of the DJ models  locos  i nearly brought one of the Hornby J94'S  . 1ST off  its a fantastic model but i have been a bit disappointment by its running performance as i run it on DCC  i have tried 2 type of decoders so far a zen 6 pin  with a keep alive  and then a gauge master 6 pin none of them improved its running i have a NCE power cab  but i have not really mastered the art of program ing   or change ing the CV's  as a last ditch effort  i have now brought a LENZ  gold mini 6 pin and will try this out  fingers crossed 

I too have experienced running problems with it. Its pulling power is quite abysmal and for me it started off fine then decreased over time. Apparently it stalls a lot because of the method of pick ups that it comes off the bearings but the grease fitted to them in the factory can apparently break the electrical continuity even by getting into the bearings even on straight track. I've not run my j94 since August and now use it mostly for a photo prop though would love to see it running again. The detail on it is quite fantastic but the actual construction of it is pretty poor. The problem is that it's very difficult to take apart to gain access to the pickups/motor to be able to modify and change the current design.

Interesting to read. I've been tempted by one of these as I'm pretty sure it's become 'Wimblebury' on the Foxfield Railway. If it's not a great runner I might rethink.

Think the layout is a great start. The height of the buildings is, as previously mentioned, a great way of setting the locos in the scene. Looking forward to seeing this develop. Perhaps a little late to suggest but would it be possible to move the loader along the back scene? You'd be able to propel a two wagon train under it then, rather than just one wagon at a time?

Interesting to read. I've been tempted by one of these as I'm pretty sure it's become 'Wimblebury' on the Foxfield Railway. If it's not a great runner I might rethink.

Think the layout is a great start. The height of the buildings is, as previously mentioned, a great way of setting the locos in the scene. Looking forward to seeing this develop. Perhaps a little late to suggest but would it be possible to move the loader along the back scene? You'd be able to propel a two wagon train under it then, rather than just one wagon at a time?

If you want a j94 I'd recommend a Hornby one. The detail on them is actually pretty good and they are robust runners and fairly easy to service.

thanks luke for share ing your  experience with your j94 that is very interesting to hear . i must say i am not holding much hope now with the lenz decoder  but i will try it and let you know . and i will most likely go for a Hornby  j94 next time 

Hi chris thinking back i may have originally had the loading hopper in the middle in my 1st set up . but that is a much better idea what you say  i have not yet glued any think in its final position post-26535-0-44619700-1546801358.jpg  i could do this but would have to cut the main building in half  so the hopper will sit back in the main building . i am go ing  to have the hopper load in coal from the back of the layout via a shoot  . i shall do some measurements in a bit and see what i come up with . but thanks for the idea it would add a bit more shunt ing  interest  .

• Like 2

The hopper looks better in that position Kevo. Interesting to hear about the J94 probs, I've one of each and the DJ runs fine at the moment, it's on DC though. Have you weathered it? It looks good. I recon your sentinal would look good on there as well as a NCB Janus.

Steve.

Thanks steve  yes the hopper  its a much better set up in that position . the j94 was as it comes weathered . which saved me a job  . the janus   will be well at home on this size layout . but i no longer have the sentinal any more that was not a good runner as well in the end . there seems to be a fair few problems with some of these small locos . but i may get another one at a later date . i would probly like to build up a few small steamers as well i like the Hornby pecket  and the andrew  barclay0-4-0 . 

I think it's the curse of a small wheel base which does it in for these small locos. Even if you pack in a good motor at the end of the day it's the capacity to pick up power that counts. An Andrew barclay would definitely suit this layout very nicely. I'm going to go done the route of fitting high power stay alive units to all my stock I think after seeing the transformation it has done to my peckett.

• Like 1

Thanks steve  yes the hopper  its a much better set up in that position . the j94 was as it comes weathered . which saved me a job  . the janus   will be well at home on this size layout . but i no longer have the sentinal any more that was not a good runner as well in the end . there seems to be a fair few problems with some of these small locos . but i may get another one at a later date . i would probly like to build up a few small steamers as well i like the Hornby pecket  and the andrew  barclay0-4-0 . 

I've got a Peckett and an Andrew Barcay and at the moment they happily crawl about my small layout, they are both great runners. I've also got a Hornby Pug which is an old model but after a bit of tweaking and cleaning always runs well.

Steve.