New to 7mm Scale, Many Questions!

HereticUK

Hello all!

This is my first foray into this scale after some time with OO and HO, plus a long period of lost interest. As of this New Year, I have decided to revive my love for railway modelling. Yesterday, I acquired a Gaugemaster Premium Starter Set second-hand from Hatton's. I am pleased with it so far, and I think it is a nice point to start from. I will continue to slowly, but steadily expand my collection, mostly with track first and the odd piece of RTR rolling stock. I have a plan for what I would like to do in the far future, but for now I am happy to just expand my collection a little.

That being said, I have some questions about this scale. There are some lovely RTR locomotives available from a variety of sources, but inevitably I will be lead down the path of kitbuilding. I know about two starter kits available: Tower Models Andrew Barclay and Connoisseur Models Starter 0-4-0/LNER Y7. Are there any others? Does anyone have any recommendations or advice for a complete newbie to model making (outside Warhammer, which is just small plastic pieces easily glued together)?

Thank you for any advice you can provide!

Edited by HereticUK
Changed title
  • Like 2

Hello all!

This is my first foray into this scale after some time with OO and HO, plus a long period of lost interest. As of this New Year, I have decided to revive my love for railway modelling. Yesterday, I acquired a Gaugemaster Premium Starter Set second-hand from Hatton's. I am pleased with it so far, and I think it is a nice point to start from. I will continue to slowly, but steadily expand my collection, mostly with track first and the odd piece of RTR rolling stock. I have a plan for what I would like to do in the far future, but for now I am happy to just expand my collection a little.

That being said, I have some questions about this scale. There are some lovely RTR locomotives available from a variety of sources, but inevitably I will be lead down the path of kitbuilding. I know about two starter kits available: Tower Models Andrew Barclay and Connoisseur Models Starter 0-4-0/LNER Y7. Are there any others? Does anyone have any recommendations or advice for a complete newbie to model making (outside Warhammer, which is just small plastic pieces easily glued together)?

The Y7 was carefully designed for the purpose of introducing the skills of etched brass loco building. There are good instructions and support from the manufacturer. Though I haven't built one personally, I have watched the journey of a fellow modeller already past his three score years and ten, from the Y7 to a WD and a class 4MT.

The only down side to the Y7 might be its limited prototype geography.

• Like 1

Thank you, doilum, for your reply. I am not so worried about prototype geography, it's never been the main concern for me. As one man once said: "It's my railway and I'll jolly well run what I like on it".

It would be nice to hear about rolling stock kits as well. I see that Connoiseur Models make some very nice Light Railway style coaches, but in my view, rolling stock kits seem to be far more fragile that locomotive ones. Could anyone confirm or deny this?

Slaters plastic kits are a good start point. Not quite toddler proof (I keep a few Lima trucks for small visitors) but pretty robust. The underframe kits lend themselves to a little scratchbuilding. Others may disagree but etched brass coaches require "improver" level soldering skills.

If you are up for a bit of scratch building one of Ian Kirk's non corridor compartment coach kits will recycle into a pair of light railway coaches.

A visit to one of the Guild's shows will provide the opportunity to buy reasonably priced rolling stock. It is also an eye opener to see what is available.

• RMweb Premium

There is so much RTR appearing in 7mm scale that kit building is more a choice than an essential, depending on your choice of prototype. Alphagraphix are well worth looking at for budget 4 & 6 wheel etched brass kits for coaches based on mainline cast-offs used on the KESR and nice to build. He also does card kits. Slaters GWR 4-wheelers are mainly plastic but longer. Peco Parkside wagons are easy to build & quite robust. Also, you don't actually need a lot of stock to get started.

The Tower Models loco chassis are a bit basic, the Barclay loco body very heavy. Most kit chassis are way behind the RTR in sophistication, guaranteed running quality, and DCC readiness, but Connoisseur are well proven & Jim very helpful.

• Like 1

As far as I can tell, Alphagraphix has no online presence, right?

Unfortunately, going to shows right now is a little difficult due to my life situation. Maybe in the future it will be possible, but not right now.

Sorry to hear that you are unable to get to shows. Membership of the Guild brings the Gazette several times a year. This is full of adverts, many from those suppliers who lack an on line presence.

• RMweb Gold

If I were starting in O gauge today and had`nt built a 7mm loco kit before. I would seriously look at the Dapol RTR locos ( BR 08 Diesel and SR, GWR, LMS steam) as my first move.

Purchase a RTR loco of your choice and then concentrate on building plastic and then etched brass wagon kits ( Parkside / Connoisseur/Peco/ Slaters etc) to gain experience and confidence in kit building and to get something  to play with early on. Not to mention RTR wagons and vans from Minerva / Dapol etc.

Why Dapol?? The price is right for a start and (as a life long loco kit builder) their chassis design and level of detail therein is excellent for the price.

if you purchase said locos from the likes of Rails of Sheffield, they will check the loco over before dispatch to make sure all is OK.

O gauge modelling has never had it so good at this very moment..........   :mail:

Cheers

John

Edited by ROSSPOP
  • Agree 1

Sorry to hear that you are unable to get to shows. Membership of the Guild brings the Gazette several times a year. This is full of adverts, many from those suppliers who lack an on line presence.

Does the Gazette ship abroad? Since I live now in Russia 11 months of the year, I have enough stuff back in England for my parents to deal with!

If I were starting in O gauge today and had`nt built a 7mm loco kit before. I would seriously look at the Dapol RTR locos ( BR 08 Diesel and SR, GWR, LMS steam) as my first move.

Purchase a RTR loco of your choice and then concentrate on building plastic and then etched brass wagon kits ( Parkside / Connoisseur/Peco/ Slaters etc) to gain experience and confidence in kit building and to get something  to play with early on. Not to mention RTR wagons and vans from Minerva / Dapol etc.

Why Dapol?? The price is right for a start and (as a life long loco kit builder) their chassis design and level of detail therein is excellent for the price.

if you purchase said locos from the likes of Rails of Sheffield, they will check the loco over before dispatch to make sure all is OK.

O gauge modelling has never had it so good at this very moment....

From the bits and pieces I have read about the history of O gauge, I find myself agreeing with this sentiment wholeheartedly.

I like some of the locomotives which Dapol produces, but I am considering saving my money and going for Minerva, since they have (for me) more interesting models.

The price of RTR stock is not such an issue for me, so I happy to stick with this for now.

• Like 1

Does the Gazette ship abroad? Since I live now in Russia 11 months of the year, I have enough stuff back in England for my parents to deal with!

From the bits and pieces I have read about the history of O gauge, I find myself agreeing with this sentiment wholeheartedly.

I like some of the locomotives which Dapol produces, but I am considering saving my money and going for Minerva, since they have (for me) more interesting models.

The price of RTR stock is not such an issue for me, so I happy to stick with this for now.

Needless to say, all Minerva models are checked and tested personally before dispatch by either Chris Basten or me, the joint owners of Minerva Model Railways Ltd. 

Regards,

Chris K

• Like 1

The tower models Barclay is pretty basic but with a bit of work it can be an excellent model. There is so much pewter in it, it will just about out-haul anything else. It can be improved with better detailing parts but you gain the most by carefully cleaning up the castings with needle files. Sprung buffers and better coupling hooks will improve it. You may also want to consider having a go with making new shutters steps in brass as the cast ones a very much over thick.

If you are thinking about Dapol and Minerva, what might swing your decision is that:-

1/ Minerva delivers on what is offered...  in terms of quality, price, and release date;

2/ Chris Klein and Chris Basten - the owners of Minerva - are respected modellers in and suppliers to the 7mm world.

3/ Minerva has a presence on RMWeb so you can talk to them through the forum.

4/ Customer support and satisfaction is beyond belief - just browse the posts to the Minerva sub-forum of RMWeb where you shall find evidence of that statement.

I have bought several Minerva Pannier tanks and a flurry of Minks, Chris and Chris deserve our support and appreciation.

regards, Graham Beare

(who builds his track to the same scale as the buildings of Cwm Bach)

Edited by Western Star

Hello all!

As far as loco kits are concerned, for a first time build something small and simple to build is the usual answer, as there is nothing worse than buying something which is too complicated for a novice to build. Also there is always the risk of rushing the job with the eagerness to get something running, I would then suggest continuing to build smaller/ simpler locos just to build skill sets up.

Good luck

As far as I can tell, Alphagraphix has no online presence, right?

Unfortunately, going to shows right now is a little difficult due to my life situation. Maybe in the future it will be possible, but not right now.

They do old fashioned mail order via email from memory 

Thank you for the advice and recommendations so far, guys.

I have some more questions regarding sound decoders. I have read that YouChoos are a good company to buy from. I have checked their website and the shear number of decoder chips and speakers has caused me great confusion. If price were no object, what should I get in terms of decoder chip and speaker combination to give the best sound?

I have some more questions regarding sound decoders. I have read that YouChoos are a good company to buy from. I have checked their website and the shear number of decoder chips and speakers has caused me great confusion. If price were no object, what should I get in terms of decoder chip and speaker combination to give the best sound?

I have found digital trains provide a good service. I usually just phone them up and speak to their sound guy. (No connection to the company, just a satisfied customer)You just need to know what space you have available.

In a shunter, a sound chip plus stay alive plus speaker is about £145.00

Bigger locos with 2 motors are about £215.00

Dougal

We supply ZIMO decoders loaded with our own copyright Paul Chetter sound projects for Minerva locos. Because we deal direct with ZIMO in Austria we do not supply our decoders for other locos.

Regards,

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Hi Heretic,

Welcome to 7mm!  Digitrains in Lincoln (www.digitrains.co.uk i think) are good for sound decoders, both pricewise and advice - and im sure they do overseas postage.  If you go for their premium sound projects (£15 plus the decoder and speaker) they are all created by Paul Chetter - and all are superb. Not found or known a bad project yet from Paul.

The Minerva sound projects, as Chris has said, are Paul's too - and are great.  Paul Chetter is also on here, and very easy to chat to if you have problems or need to tweak or customise any of the settings.

Rich

Edited by MarshLane