Bachmann 32-780RJ 37025

DRS Crewe On A Mission

Hi Craig1989. Can you confirm what tmc said as your post is a little confusing. I suspect it’s a typo and you meant to say that tmc said that they only had a few left? If they didn’t only have a few (but quite a lot) available it would be good news for some out there.

Yh meant to say that they only had a few left

Here's hoping they announce a Class 47 next..... and Accurascale a Class 37  At worst they may drop the SRP from £169.95 to just under £145, as per the Class 66!  Who ever said competition was a bad thing!

So when Bachmann withdraws from the UK market, who's going to step in and manufacture the extensive range of essential wagons, coaching stock and the steam selection that's evidently of no interest whatsoever?

Asking for a friend.

So when Bachmann withdraws from the UK market, who's going to step in and manufacture the extensive range of essential wagons, coaching stock and the steam selection that's evidently of no interest whatsoever?

Asking for a friend.

What you find is that as one company disappears from a market another appears for the opportunity. If anyone in business thinks they can't be done without ask, British Leyland, Woolworths, BHS workers.

I think that's were Bachmann should be congratulated. As we see with their latest announced/released items, the standards are rising to compete in a changing market demanding more accuracy. The MK2f's , Ransome Crane, New Class 158 etc.

• RMweb Gold

Asking for a friend.

Someone else.

Theres always someone else.

Hornby Dublo died with the dinosaurs, and so has Wrenn at least twice, yet someone keeps on cloning its DNA and I can still buy it new.

Edited by adb968008

..... Possibly Hatton's have fallen fowl of this edict with their sales promotion over Christmas / new year with the result that they are unable to guarantee they will receive any new releases from Bachmann until some time after other retailers.

It’s not that they get supplies later than other retailers, they simply are not getting supplies full stop.

Hattons have had no new stock from Bachmann since 1st week of November 2018.

Asking for a friend.

Just expressing an observation on how they have managed to lower their price on a model that a competitor is doing a new version of, whilst other locos in their portfolio have been raised by £10.  Perhaps competition has the potential to reduce prices.... 

Regarding your friend, well you could always advise your friend to order a couple of good sized rakes of the new Weathered TEA's at £59.95 each and Clean CEA's at £29.95 each, for starters, "Just in case!"  That should provide some comfort.

Regards,

C.

Just because competition has brought about the price coming down on the 66, this will impact on returns and profit that can be invested into new models, potentially has the impact on prices across the range too. Competition can be perceived as good to the consumer but in the long run won’t be good. There are plenty of wagons and coaches that could be made instead. Margins are tight, costs are rising doesn’t matter what you are retailing there isn’t a lot of money to be made so both retailers and manufactures will feel it where prices come down.

Just because competition has brought about the price coming down on the 66, this will impact on returns and profit that can be invested into new models, potentially has the impact on prices across the range too. Competition can be perceived as good to the consumer but in the long run won’t be good. There are plenty of wagons and coaches that could be made instead. Margins are tight, costs are rising doesn’t matter what you are retailing there isn’t a lot of money to be made so both retailers and manufactures will feel it where prices come down.

I’m not buying into that. Competition has been good as it appears Bachmann realises it cannot charge so much for its 2005 class 66 as it would like. Shrewdly o r reluctantly, whichever version it may be, it has pitched the new 66 price in between the Hornby version and the hattons, thus there is a shed for all budgets .

I’d like to see competition for the 37/47 . As much as I like them I dont personally believe they are worth £160 any more.

• RMweb Gold

I’m not buying into that. Competition has been good as it appears Bachmann realises it cannot charge so much for its 2005 class 66 as it would like. Shrewdly o r reluctantly, whichever version it may be, it has pitched the new 66 price in between the Hornby version and the hattons, thus there is a shed for all budgets .

I’d like to see competition for the 37/47 . As much as I like them I dont personally believe they are worth £160 any more.

Don’t forget the Lima ones.

I recently sold off some older Lima 66’s at c£45-£50 a piece. Glad I did, as the 2nd hand Hornby ones, will inevitably creep in around £40 or less.

You should be able to buy a 66 from anywhere between £20-£160 later in the year...

Anyone on any budget can afford a 66 or 3 this year...

That’s only good news for newer entrants on a budget.

Much whilst we may quiver at what I say next, but the 2nd hand market prices need pushing down, that’s the only way to get attrition in the model railway market, push out the old for the new and make an affordable range.

Otherwise, as we’ve seen, price rises on the newer end, drags up prices on the second hand, and it becomes a barrier to consumers to enter.

I’ve completed my strategy now... I dumped my Lima 66’s after 20 years at c£45, I’ve unexpectedly decided to fill my boots with bargain Bachmann 2nd hand 66’s at c£65-90. It’s not my core interest (a bit too modern, but it’s relevent and my little recognises then and gets her interest)... the Bachmann 66 isn’t a bad model... it happened by accident, I was considering Hornby 66 chassis for upgrades, but thought they were too expensive last year, hence the dumping instead, and initially thought i’d Just live without 66’s as my core interest stops with BR.

As a guide, Alan Greenspan used to say the best measure of the economy is Scrap steel prices. I look at Lima prices... right now mint boxed class 31’s with handrails are more than double their 1991 sale price of £20, and higher than their unachievable RRP of £39,99 at that time... I’d not think a Lima 66 would be worth less than a Lima 31...but in 2019 I predict it will.

Edited by adb968008

Quite agree with your sentiments.  Anyone who "believes" that margins are tight on manufacture believe the PR hype!  Like I was told a few years ago, we have to buy from our parent company...... 

If there were no money in model railways, all the new companies would not have sprouted up.  They've come about because prices are now high enough that they can make a go of it!      

Yes model railways are labour intensive, but how many parts are there on something like a VDA van that retails at £30.95? (38-144A)

Regards,

C.

P.S.  Remember in the good old days when Lima 60's and Class 66's fetched over £100 each, because there were no others available when Lima finished.