manufacturers for 7mm tracks and turnouts?

michl080

Good evening,

I am planning to build a short piece of track, perhaps with one or two turnouts. Searching the internet and this forum, I found C&L as the only kit manufacturer. Although the quality is great, I was wondering if there are alternative manufacturers of high quality trackwork kits. For continental -- mainly German -- layouts, there is e.g.   https://wenz-modellbau.eshop.t-online.de/epages/Store_Shop00671.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Shop00671/Categories/Spur_0/Gleisbau_in_0    , which is great, but no UK track unfortunately...

Any thoughts?

Michael

Good evening,

I am planning to build a short piece of track, perhaps with one or two turnouts. Searching the internet and this forum, I found C&L as the only kit manufacturer. Although the quality is great, I was wondering if there are alternative manufacturers of high quality trackwork kits. For continental -- mainly German -- layouts, there is e.g.   https://wenz-modellbau.eshop.t-online.de/epages/Store_Shop00671.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Shop00671/Categories/Spur_0/Gleisbau_in_0    , which is great, but no UK track unfortunately...

Any thoughts?

Michael

Exactoscale also do track parts, which some prefer. However both are really aimed at UK prototypes.

• RMweb Gold

Exactoscale also do track parts, which some prefer. However both are really aimed at UK prototypes.

I think the poster is looking for British prototype trackwork, Stephen.  :yes:

As far as I'm aware, and I could be mistaken... Exactoscale is only available through C&L anyway...

Peco have a range of rail, chairs (running and slide) and timbers from which turnouts can be built.  Their RTP turnouts are pretty good but the biggest issue is rebates in the stock rails for the blades.

I'm out of touch with the goings on at C&L.  Last I heard there were problems with on line ordering.  Peco components are more widely available.

John

Edited by brossard

I think the poster is looking for British prototype trackwork, Stephen.  :yes:

As far as I'm aware, and I could be mistaken... Exactoscale is only available through C&L anyway...

Exactoscale components are (at the moment) only available from Exactoscale (4m and 7mm scales), EM Gauge Society (4mm scale only) and Scalefour Society(4mm scale only). There was talk that S7 would be doing the 7mm scale parts as well but as far as I know it hasn't happened yet.

Ordering from C&L other than at a show will involve a phone call and there are no details on Exactoscale's website on how to order if you don't have a UK Bank Account, though I would think that should be possible if you ask. So not straightforward if you are not in the UK on either count.

Edited by Stephen Freeman

Peco have a range of rail, chairs (running and slide) and timbers from which turnouts can be built.  Their RTP turnouts are pretty good but the biggest issue is rebates in the stock rails for the blades.

I'm out of touch with the goings on at C&L.  Last I heard there were problems with on line ordering.  Peco components are more widely available.

John

I did buy some PECO chairs in 7mm to fit their Bullhead Rail but wouldn't use them out of choice. They don't do them in 4mm scale other than Pandrol clips for Flatbottom.

Apart from the rebate in the stock rails there are plenty of other issues which have had plenty of airing in the past.

7mm scale

Bullhead Rail is not correct profile

Chairs of generic design.

Pointwork non-prototypical geometry

4mm scale

Chairs of generic design on flexible track

Pandrol clips overscale but all there is of that type in plastic (there are other alternatives depending on prototype and track construction method).

I could go on but it all depends on how fussy you are. There are so many variations in UK prototype practice that it is something of a minefield and no manufacturer is going to be able to produce something that is totally accurate in every scenario. You just have to compromise, how much is up to the you.

The peco track parts are easily available from Peco stockists or direct from Peco and are actually good value.  Nothing wrong with them providing you use track gauges. They also provide pre-parts for both the common crossing, check rails and switch rails, but as you would expect these may well restrict you to Pecos geometry

By using Templot you will be able to print turnout and crossing templates (plans) to what ever prototypical geometry (within reason) you require. As said a limited selection of chairs and Timbers available. 

• RMweb Gold

Exactoscale components are (at the moment) only available from Exactoscale (4m and 7mm scales), EM Gauge Society (4mm scale only) and Scalefour Society(4mm scale only). There was talk that S7 would be doing the 7mm scale parts as well but as far as I know it hasn't happened yet.

I stand corrected... I'll admit it's quite a while since I last bought track making parts, apart from some track gauges  ;)

I'm sure C&L used to stock Exactoscale though, or am I imagining it?

I stand corrected... I'll admit it's quite a while since I last bought track making parts, apart from some track gauges  ;)

I'm sure C&L used to stock Exactoscale though, or am I imagining it?

Yes C&L did but Andrew Jukes (Exactoscale Owner) decided otherwise. Full statement by Andrew on Exactoscale.com I think and elsewhere.

Scaleway only do 4mm... not 7mm, as specified in the title... :declare:

Of course SMP is part of Marcway these days but apart from rail and copperclad I see they do flexitrack in 32mm gauge. Of course the ordering system is again less than ideal. If I want to buy something a phone call is necessary.

Edited by Stephen Freeman

Scaleway only do 4mm... not 7mm, as specified in the title... :declare:

Marcway sell a range of ready built (copperclad construction) turnouts and crossings in 7 mm scale (as ell as other gauges), they also sell track gauges, rail and PCB strip for 7 mm scale

http://www.marcway.net/point.php

They took over SMP (Scaleway) quite a few years ago which from memory was 4 mm scale with 00 gauge flexi track and some plastic sleepered turnout kits 

• Like 1

Just a quick heads up to UK 7 mm scale track builders from next Sunday (£rd Feb) Lidi have their disk sanders on sale again, these are just the job for quickly roughing the shape for Vee and switch rails, so they can be finished off by hand. Can be used for other scales but I find code 75 easier to do by hand with a filing jig

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/MiddleofLidl.htm?articleId=20015

post-1131-0-97485400-1548504827.jpg

Have the platform at right angles, those more talented could make simple jigs

Easy to justify buying as has so many uses for DIY jobs at home

thanks for all the response.

I start to get a better picture. Looks like Exactoscale and C&L are going independent ways today but were closer in the past. There are still quite a few references on the C&L website left.

Apparently, C&L seems to be the easier way to go.  I couldn't find any kit on the exacotscale website and the different types of chairs listed on their site don't go together to a complete set needed for a turnout.

I guess I will try C&L.

regards,

Michael

There are no kits in 7mm scale which offer a full set of special chairs from either Exactoscale or C&L. Exactoscale chairs Have better definition and offer a bridge chair. C&L offer a 2 bolt slide rail albeit with a serious omission. Off the rails via shapeways are very good too, They also do a slab and bracket for GWR vees in addition to 3 bolt chairs and checkrail chairs (not GWR).

Templot for templates and planning etc

Hope that helps.

There are no kits in 7mm scale which offer a full set of special chairs from either Exactoscale or C&L. Exactoscale chairs Have better definition and offer a bridge chair. C&L offer a 2 bolt slide rail albeit with a serious omission. Off the rails via shapeways are very good too, They also do a slab and bracket for GWR vees in addition to 3 bolt chairs and checkrail chairs (not GWR).

Templot for templates and planning etc

Hope that helps.

I have bought some Off the Rails parts and they seem to be of excellent quality, one word of caution many come with the keys printed separately, this involves fitting the chair first then the key. I have no idea yet if this either makes life easier or adds an additional difficulty to the build sequence.

As Stephen has stated the chairs from Off the Rails mostly represent 3 bolt chair style, track in model form is the poor relation within model railways, with many modellers being not too bothered about the accuracy of the design. I think initially the important thing is to make a start, just have a go and see where it leads