Gresley's lost masterpiece: P2 no.2007

S.A.C Martin

In fairness Tony, the A1 design is simply the 6ft 8in version of the A2, granted from new incorporating the double chimney and kylchap of the last few A2s

<Pedantry>

Only Bronzino had the alterations from new, though - the others were tweaked after the first A1 had already appeared. I don't think any A1 had the multi-valve regulator used on Sugar Palm and co. fitted, either - that seems to have been a try-out with a nod to the BR Standards.

</Pedantry>

David

It shouldn't be a problem Mike - though with a long fixed wheelbase it's possible NWR may restrict where it can run.

Don't see why not, for instance eight-coupled 48151 is OK for the main line. I think it's just the 9Fs and their flangeless centre drivers that are an issue with NR.

I was told by one of my former directors that the issue, from what was aware, was the combination of a flangeless wheel and vertical trackwork and issues around S&C

My first thought was Hurricane, but then had a bit of a brainwave with Eastern Eagle - named for the eastern imperial eagle, and eastern playing on the E in LNER. :)

LNER 2007, Eastern Eagle. Sounds good!

That said, there's great merit in finding a Scottish name that will fit in with the originals, although one could argue the A1 Trust have broken that trend with Tornado in any event.

A Scottish name? How about 2007 Fort William (railway connections) or 2007 Ben Nevis (close to railway line, famous landmark)?

• RMweb Gold

It shouldn't be a problem Mike - though with a long fixed wheelbase it's possible NWR may restrict where it can run.

I was told by one of my former directors that the issue, from what was aware, was the combination of a flangeless wheel and vertical trackwork and issues around S&C

That is correct - and was basically the consequence of a derailment of 'a certain 9F' in exactly such a situation followed by investigations which revealed that combination to pose a very high risk of a repeat. As I understand it the problem arose from a design change to cast crossings (well that was one story).

As far as an 8F is concerned the rigid wheelbase is 17ft 3ins, the rigid wheelbase of a P2 was 19ft 6ins (plus another 9ft 6ins between the trailing driver and the rear carrying wheels) and the originals reportedly suffered problems with journal wear although that was admittedly on the sinuous route north of Edinburgh. I think it safe to say that any sort of curve which produces flange squeal under an 8F is likely to suffer sidecut and potential 'straightening' :huh: under a P2.

fantastic news... it'll do until my plan to construct a time machine, become a massive millionaire, and foist money into the hands of the scrapyard owners back in the 50s / 60s to achieve some kind of LNER Barry-a-like. But then if I had been able to do so, you'd think I was just taking the p1ss in a rather unsettling way

look i've had a hard week ok?

Ahem

Anyhoo, definitely the one rebuild I've been craving. Nice...

I have to agree - a P2 also interests me more than Tornado. One benefit is when the punters start to get a bit bored with it, put on the streamlining. smile.gif

Any ideas yet for names? My suggestion would be Knight of the Thistle.

Cheers

David

I know they've been used before, but I always thought Robert The Bruce was a great name for a loco servicing points North.

Of course, you could be a little tricky, and "do a Thompson" by taking the first A2/1's name Highland Chieftain and putting it back on a Gresley design... wink.gif

The names of the P2s all relate to people and things of specific relevance to the area between Edinburgh and Aberdeen. While Highland Chieftan is a good name, Edinburgh and Aberdeen are on the wrong side of the Highland Boundary. Both Roberts (the Bruce and Burns) were from Ayrshire.

In the spirit of the original names, and trying to get a bit of a gender balance, how about Saint Margaret?

Cheers

David

That sounds more like naming it after a newspaper.

I think we are getting a wee bit ahead of ourselves here. They haven't even decided if it is feasable yet and you are throwing names about!

I suppose it will be something with a Scottish theme but it might come down to a generous benefactor deciding the name as with Tornado.

How about Flying Scotsman... Now where have I heard that name before?

I think we are getting a wee bit ahead of ourselves here. They haven't even decided if it is feasable yet and you are throwing names about!

Probably true, but it does provide a bit of entertainment for us simple folk.

I would love to be a fly on the wall when they get round to discussing the question of disc or spoked for the tender wheels. :D

Bernard

Probably true, but it does provide a bit of entertainment for us simple folk.

I would love to be a fly on the wall when they get round to discussing the question of disc or spoked for the tender wheels. :D

Bernard

Well, I like disc wheels, and I like spoked wheels too. But which is better? There's only one way to find out.....FIGHT!!!! ;)

David

Im not sure if all this annoucement of building a P2 by the A1 trust rings of just them wanting to build a new locomotive.... I think theres more to it, especially given how the first engine and its organisation have faired so far.

As for the name, dare I mention a suggestion of "Duke of Cumberland"?

*Ducks for cover*

Archived