Badgers Bottom

kes

• Moderators
4 hours ago, kes said:

will see what the Bobby thinks of his new view.

6 minutes ago, Father Dougal said:

Can they still get in when they need a wee?

It's more a case of whether Bobby can get out after the foreman and his mate did the deed.

• Funny 5

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just had 3 hours of light weathering prior to the BRM Doncaster show next weekend. The stock is no longer shiny and looks like it might have worked on a railway rather than come out of a box.

IMG_20240202_133856.jpg

IMG_20240202_133824.jpg

IMG_20240202_133812.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from the BRM Doncaster show where Badgers Bottom had its exhibition debut. Had a problem on Friday set up when I discovered one point servo not working. I traced this to the internal wiring being pulled out of the servo, so an interesting hour was spent under the board with a head torch replacing the servo. Later that night after dinner, I set to in the hotel room and opened up the servo to resolder the 3 wires and test it so I had a spare with me. For the rest of the weekend the layout worked perfectly, unlike the operators who kept having brain fade and jamming up the running lines!!!  now we know how to drive it. The analogue sound unit created a lot of interest. I need to make a low-pass filter to get more woof into the chuff.

IMG_20240210_092540385.jpg

IMG_20240209_195025205.jpg

IMG_20240210_092455015.jpg

• Like 8

Congratulations on your first outing.  Layout looks really good.  Sorry to hear of your mishap, but it's something that can occur.

At my last outing I had some solid core wires break on me.  Happily I was able to repair, but it is terrifying.  After the show, this spurred me to review the wiring of the entire layout, stripping away solid core wire in favour of stranded.

John

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi John, yes it can be frightening when something goes wrong on setting up. I always carry duplicates of transformers, controllers, mains cables, servos, servo drivers, and a spare loco or two. The show must go on. The next set up will be easier now we know what we are doing.  Kevin.

• Like 1

The show went well and was very busy. There were a great selection of good layouts in all the popular gauges, and some good demonstrations of building going on. We were awarded the Richard J Dring trophy for the best layout as voted for by the members of the EBOR group. Thanks guys! We had a few guest operators over the weekend including Al, who is a REAL signalman, and thoroughly enjoyed all the working semaphores and ground signals.

We are very tired, but very happy after an enjoyable show.

Kevin.

IMG_20240218_130635914.jpg

IMG_20240217_085833591.jpg

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 3