Fixing Silvering on transfers

CCGWR

Hi,

Need some help, I fixed these Modelmaster transfers to a repainted GWR 4575 with Humbrol Decal Fix (they are waterslide transfers) but I have had better outcomes using Decal Fix. The problem is these transfers seem to have 'silvered.' It was on a matte surface but the Humbrol YouTube video said that was possible, attached are some photos. I have tried painting extra coats over the transfers but this has only half worked. Should I get the T-Cut out and start again this time with new transfers on a gloss surface or can I fix the current ones I have somehow. The camera and the light make the paint greyer than it is. 

Regards Connor

20190214_174757.jpg

20190214_174802.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I'm currently carrying out a test to see what works best for me using Fox "GREAT WESTERN" lettering transfers (these are the type I mostly struggle with)

I've taken a sheet of black plasticard and brush painted three areas

one using Johnson's Klear

one using Humbrol Clear Varnish

one using Humbrol Gloss Cote

I let these dry for 24hrs and yesterday evening I applied the same transfer (from the same sheet) to each of these areas

I used warm water with a drop of washing up liquid as per the Fox instructions

I also applied a forth transfer on the Gloss Cote using Microset on the area first

I'll let you know my findings

Chris

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2

I have used a product know as Alclad ALC-600 "Aqua Gloss" to spray over an area prior to applying transfers.

It is an excellent product used straight from the bottle ( do not shake or stir - noted on the side of the bottle ) poured into the airbrush cup.

I don't use anything else now.

Hope this helps ?

G

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Karhedron said:

I have used Johnsons Klear as a base for transfers in the past with very good results. If applying to a truly matt surface, I normally apply 2 coats, just to be on the safe side.

admittedly I have only applied one coat of each so this my be addressed during experiment #2

54 minutes ago, bgman said:

I have used a product know as Alclad ALC-600 "Aqua Gloss" to spray over an area prior to applying transfers.

It is an excellent product used straight from the bottle ( do not shake or stir - noted on the side of the bottle ) poured into the airbrush cup.

I don't use anything else now.

Hope this helps ?

G

I may give this a try myself

• RMweb Gold

This is after 24hrs of applying the transfers, nothing applied over them as yet

inital findings are humbrol gloss cote plus microset have yielded the best results thus far

54BD7D51-C025-459B-B076-A3033220E058.jpeg

I imagine better results would be had if the gloss had been airbrushed instead of hand brushed

it is also worth noting that I only applied one coat of each varnish

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

The other way around this is to use HMRS Pressfix transfers, which don't have any transfer film, and can therefore be applied direct to a matt surface.

I don't know however if their GW sheet is currently available.

They are a bit tricky to use at first, but once you've "got your eye in" they are fine and give an excellent result IMHO.

John.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

The other way around this is to use HMRS Pressfix transfers, which don't have any transfer film, and can therefore be applied direct to a matt surface.

They are a bit tricky to use at first, but once you've "got your eye in" they are fine and give an excellent result IMHO.

John.

Yes John I agree, if you can get pressfix that have been correctly printed 

this exercise is more to help CCGWR and for my own curiosity (because I’m crap at applying water slides)

chris

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

John.

As John says above, pressfix eliminates the need to apply varnish and my personal opinion is you get better results....if you get a set that have been printed correctly

Chris

82C5E644-7188-4071-96BF-EA06F2D0EE63.jpeg

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Butler Henderson said:

Modelmaster waterslide transfers have a peel off varnish layer - a bit hit and miss in my experience although it did work fine on a pair of BR late emblems.

I’ve tried that....and failed, although I probably did it wrong.

I believe it works if they too are applied to a gloss finish and left for 48hrs.....I did neither :blush:

• Agree 1

Thanks everyone for your replies, I reckon I might try and remove the transfers and try again after giving the body another coat of paint and Humbrol Clear over the top of that (airbrushed). I have used HMRS on a N13 Loco Coal wagon and I agree, they are good although quiet tricky to apply with really small transfers.

Regards Connor

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Whole lot has been given a coat of Matt clear spray (Testors dull cote)

I think there is a clear winner

82B50AFF-C2A2-438D-BE00-0A1FC57803F5.jpeg

Conclusion

1) gloss cote plus microset seems to have turned out better (in this test)

2) I'm still crap at using water slides

3) I still prefer Railtec over Fox

4) I’m more confident with pressfix but only when I can get hold of the PC Models version

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2