Erratic running with a DCC Chip

tyl59

Hello

I have fitted some Bachmann 36-553 chips into some Bachmann locos, all worked perfectly before chipping, and upon returning to speed step 0 they all speed up and do two revolutions at a faster speed rather than stop smoothly. This is happening in certain locos and fitting the chip in another engine the fault is no longer present

so far it’s happened on

Bachmann

K3

Ivatt 4MT 2-6-0

Standard 4MT 2-6-0

56xx

Ivatt 2 2-6-0 (chip in tender)

Has anyone experienced this problem before. Does anyone have ideal CV values to stop this or what is causing it.

Many thanks

TYL59

Sounds like you need to adjust CVs, 53 and 54 I think, to get smooth running.  Quite normal on these decoders.  There is or was a list of suggested values on Bachman's site for a variety of locos but not all

Edited by smokebox
Added info.

Guest teacupteacup
15 minutes ago, smokebox said:

Sounds like you need to adjust CVs, 53 and 54 I think, to get smooth running.  Quite normal on these decoders.  There is or was a list of suggested values on Bachman's site for a variety of locos but not all

Snip the suppressors off too as well as the above

As Smokebox and RFS posted above it is critical to tune the feedback values for these steam models, but note that it is CV's 54 and 55 (at least so it was for all that I purchased). For reasons best known to Bachmann the default values in the decoders are those applicable to large motors with flywheels, typical of those found in centre motor diesel models. For the small motors in Bach's steamers experiment with:

CV54 = 10    (default =32)

CV55 = 50    (default =24)

I found the set up was very critical on some models, a single unit change in CV54 especially could produce observed effect, so take the time to adjust if the initial suggested values are 'better but not ideal'.

Edited to add, Bachmann had a suggested values table on their previous useful website, but I don't know if it is still present on the new awkward to navigate replacement. All that said, the suggested values were not consistently ideal, and experiment to settle on the best values were still required.

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D
forgot some stuff