Hinton Road Engine Shed

GWR57xx

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, B15nac said:

Hi 

I was wondering if you were able at some point to take some basic pictures of the intentio coaling stage in its kit form an what you get in the kit? Would be really helpful. If not no worries.

Kind regards Neil 

Hi Neil,

Hope this helps:

DSC03792.JPG.1e30df5ef4925d3b31f45401b53130fc.JPG

This is my old 7mm version.

If Phil re-introduces the kit it may well differ from what I have, as may a 4mm version.

Starting bottom left going clockwise we have:

Base

Staircase

Water Tank

Side 1

Side 2

Back Face

Front Face

Each section comes bagged separately, which makes life much easier. There are a lot of parts!

Each wall of the building is built up of several layers which all fit perfectly. Many of the parts are labelled to help identification. (The labels are not visible once the parts are assembled).

The kit doesn't come with detailed instructions, just exploded diagrams of each section, but a little bit of studying of the diagrams and a dry run-through of the build should make things clear enough.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

These are the parts for the left hand side wall:

DSC03826.JPG.70ad1dfbc108ecd8d22ea0187844dc31.JPG

The exploded parts diagram for this wall is top left.

The bag of bits contains the door & window parts.

As you can see, alignment holes are provided to assist with assembly.

The holes are just very slightly under 2mm diameter, and slightly too small for the toothpicks I was planning to use.

I had a search around for a substitute and discovered that the red bootlace ferrules (top right) are a perfect fit.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

After doing a trial fit of all the parts I pondered for ages about the best way to go about building the kit.

I thought, given my lack of modelling skill, I would have a very difficult time finishing the model to an acceptable level if I tried to paint it after construction and therefore decided to paint all the parts separately before assembling them.

Here are the first few pieces ready to be primed:

DSC03827.JPG.69e727795df9a5b68a1442f64f8d0451.JPG

And after priming with Halfords red / grey spray cans:

DSC03829.JPG.296016cf2b7343688473a14b80cf402c.JPG

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Next step, after leaving the primer to set, was to paint the engineering blues using Vallejo acrylic:

DSC04022.JPG.8ce76c964e5426d937e05dd7a04850c5.JPG

Next, using a few different colour washes, picking out a few individual bricks just to break up the otherwise monotonous uniformity of the red brick:

DSC04023.JPG.ccac897d578c2ecd6071cf3011f2188a.JPG

Only another 30 or so brick sections to go...

Then there's all the ancillary bits - windows, doors, stairs, coal shute, canopy, water tank...

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 20/09/2022 at 07:46, B15nac said:

Do you get the choice of this slightly larger coaling drop area? The one nearest in the picture I believe it was a later BR addition?

Screenshot_20220920-074146~2.png

Good photo, haven’t seen that before - where’s it from?

In answer to your question, you should speak to @BrushType4.

On 28/05/2022 at 19:33, GWR57xx said:

Next up, I thought I needed a bit more practice before tackling the coal stage so opted for a Timber Tracks sand house.

Compared to the Intentio weighbridge office this is a relatively basic kit. No interlocking corner finger bricks, no internal detail, no base, etc.

I only went to the outskirts of town on this one, adding: a base; door frames; door knobs; door steps; bargeboards; Modelu gutters & holderbats; downpipe; drain cover; concrete lintels & ledges and sand hole liners.

I think it came out ok:

DSC03592.JPG.50f02c332f5571f1d7a3db1660e82a24.JPG

DSC03593.JPG.4a445a52acd4fad77e69305480ccde7a.JPG

DSC03594.JPG.9a97b1d063934021bd17ed01d3575a46.JPG

I agree about the timber tracks kits, I remember speaking to Brian many years ago about this kit, on the early plans for Pontypool Road this is listed as being a sand house but the sand house was along side the shed on the south end, this was in fact a toilet block  you can see in the picture the covered access was for the shed foreman so no one knew when he was in there and the other door for the rest of the shed staff, what’s not known is if it was built originally to be a sand house and then altered to a toilet block. Still it makes for an interesting building and certainly looks the part with the Intentio chimney along side. 

A34EC4AC-BA68-474F-84D6-548132713151.png

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 24/09/2022 at 09:29, steve fay said:

The larger shoot cover is for when an electrical hoist was installed. 
it would make a nice addition to the coal stage. 
Here’s the one I built, fantastic kits from Intentio. 

8CDED99F-6150-41D3-BCC5-19DDD8853470.jpeg

Very interesting I didn't no they had a electronic hoist fitted I've seen a few stages with this now 

On 18/09/2022 at 17:58, GWR57xx said:

Next step, after leaving the primer to set, was to paint the engineering blues using Vallejo acrylic:

DSC04022.JPG.8ce76c964e5426d937e05dd7a04850c5.JPG

Next, using a few different colour washes, picking out a few individual bricks just to break up the otherwise monotonous uniformity of the red brick:

DSC04023.JPG.ccac897d578c2ecd6071cf3011f2188a.JPG

Only another 30 or so brick sections to go...

Then there's all the ancillary bits - windows, doors, stairs, coal shute, canopy, water tank...

Any more updates?

Regards Neil 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, B15nac said:

Any more updates?

Regards Neil 

“Patience, Grasshopper!”

We have visitors at the moment, so my small amount of modelling time is temporarily curtailed.

There has been a small amount of progress, but nothing worthy of an update.

I’ve also realised that I’ll need to prime and paint the interior walls too, as these will be quite visible.

There is no laser engraved brickwork on the interior walls (which I’ll use as my excuse for not thinking of this sooner), so I may try to do something about that…

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, GWR57xx said:

There is no laser engraved brickwork on the interior walls (which I’ll use as my excuse for not thinking of this sooner), so I may try to do something about that…

Some of the options I’m considering:

a) scribe the mortar lines using a sharpened stick;

b) draw the mortar lines on in pencil after painting;

c) laser some brickwork onto thin card and glue this to the interior walls;

d) laser some brickwork onto the interior walls of the kit parts.

Option (a) would probably work well if I can scribe them well enough - I’ll have to try it on an inconspicuous part.

Option (b) would be the easiest and may be convincing enough (to a blind man on a galloping horse)?

Option (c) should be do-able, but not sure the edges of the card could be easily hidden at open edges.

Option (d) would be the best, but difficult to achieve (for me) and likely to end in disaster.

I currently favour (b).

Any thoughts?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The main problem in doing the interior brickwork is going to be the arches over the openings.

So option (e) is to suppose that the interior is plastered/rendered. Much easier than any of the other options 🙂.

I know that Didcot has plain brickwork on the interior, but would any GWR coal stages have been rendered inside?

Are there any others still standing?

Might have to invoke rule 1.

• RMweb Gold

Today has been a good day weather-wise for spraying outdoors, so all the brickwork has been sprayed with a coat of clear Matt lacquer. After this has fully dried the next step will be to do the pointing. I’m mostly just following the painting guide that’s on the Intentio website (but I’ve omitted a couple of layers), which I believe @steve fay wrote. Sadly I don’t have Steve’s skill though.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

20 hours ago, GWR57xx said:

Today has been a good day weather-wise for spraying outdoors, so all the brickwork has been sprayed with a coat of clear Matt lacquer. After this has fully dried the next step will be to do the pointing. I’m mostly just following the painting guide that’s on the Intentio website (but I’ve omitted a couple of layers), which I believe @steve fay wrote. Sadly I don’t have Steve’s skill though.

Many people have adapted it to suit their needs and find what works for you as an individual. One thing I will say is when applying the mortar if you intend to paint on paint and wipe away it’s good to seal the brick work first with a gloss varnish,  that will seal the MDF and stop it absorbing paint.  You can give it a waft of Matt varnish later on or dry brush humbrol Matt 33 black over to weather it as I do. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 01/10/2022 at 16:11, GWR57xx said:

I model 4mm an have tried using acrilic paints with good effect. Dan evason used it on a intentio model in Hornby magazine earlier this year. This is my attempt on a sand house I'm building still needs a slight going over with some powers to dull it down a tad

DSC_1572.JPG

Edited by B15nac
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, B15nac said:

I model 4mm an have tried using acrilic paints with good effect. Dan evason used it on a intentio model in Hornby magazine earlier this year. This is my attempt on a sand house I'm building still needs a slight going over with some powers to dull it down a tad

DSC_1572.JPG

Looking good.

I’ve been using acrylics ever since I joined RMWeb and read all the rave reviews.

I find the ease of use and clean up afterwards very appealing.

I mainly use the Vallejo paints that come in dropper bottles, after priming with Halfords primers from spray cans.

The main issue is how quickly the paint on the palette dries out. I recently saw mention of “wet palettes” in one of the topics on here and bought the Army Painter version. It works! It will pay for itself in no time in saving wasted paint.

• RMweb Gold

I've decided to go with a modified version of option (c) above:

c) laser some brickwork onto thin card and glue this to the interior walls;

Rather than thin card I've used some thin ply.

Here is the brickwork being lasered:

DSC04024.JPG.7796cb1f87fa28f40c60f71c774b7ca2.JPG

Brickwork complete:

DSC04025.JPG.4994ab0db74743e2ab6c9e91688c5805.JPG

Wall and openings cut out:

DSC04028.JPG.7866af92d09a66b9f834f50b9d4ddece.JPG

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

The wall has been sprayed with Halfords red oxide primer.

I've also laser cut some white card to make internal and external window frames, because I wanted to make the windows match those that will appear in the engine shed in due course.

Here are the seven layers laid out (original kit's external wall on the left):

DSC04029.JPG.39f5393bdc60a628692f69fca27e213e.JPG

And here are the layers loosely stacked up, just to give an idea of the final appearance:

Inside wall:

DSC04030.JPG.e5cbf2721bdeaf441f361efcbf2b71d9.JPG

Outside wall:

DSC04031.JPG.655e9d23cae08f499dcb2d3931bbed21.JPG

Wall still need pointing and weathering (and obviously putting together to make a building!).

The other interior walls will be drawn up next.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1