DIY DCC from Ebay

notlob

Hi All

Has anybody tried the 

'Low Cost DCC Controller 2amp or 10amp with CV programming and BlueTooth' 

software and built the controller based on the PDF that is downloaded from the Link in the advert?

just wondered if it was worth the cost or if its a complete NoNo

Thanks

Thanks for the reply

I tried a search on here for 'DCC++' but no luck 

have you or anybody else any experience with 'DCC++'

I've downloaded all the files from Github and will see if I can make any sense from them 

• RMweb Gold

The ebay feedback, going back over a year, is excellent. If this sort of DCC controller is what you want, Bluetooth linked to the layout, it hardly seems a big investment. 

As I always say, a decent control system improves the whole layout and every loco you own and buy in future. Compared to your investment in trains, the cost of an over-the-counter system is trivial. Buying a bargain system and having to build and tune it is time some people don’t have.  

• Like 1

As much as I'd like to agree with your comment about investment in trains and the cost -- some of us are on a very tight budget and £300+ for a controller is way too much. Most of my traction is sourced via ebay and fettled if its not 100% ok, as is pointwork. investment in time, for me, is a cheaper option. I know everybody has their strengths in one field or another I just prefer to refurb what I can or build from scratch if its feasable for my limited talents.

Edited by notlob
spelling

• RMweb Premium

Just get a Sprog II. Don’t have to make anything, just plug it in. Free open source software (JMRI) which is constantly updated, and with full support from Sprog DCC. 

Probably just as cheap as the e-bay option, since all that is, is limited function software ( only addresses 1-127, windows, android). You have to source all the parts yourself, at an advised approx cost of £35 ( don’t know if this includes power supply), and then build it. So around £47.

Sprog 2 is currently £45 direct from sprog DCC plus £10 for the power brick etc. Works with Win/Mac/Linux etc, Android/apple, via full function JMRI/Decoder Pro. 

Izzy

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, notlob said:

As much as I'd like to agree with your comment about investment in trains and the cost -- some of us are on a very tight budget and £300+ for a controller is way too much. Most of my traction is sourced via ebay and fettled if its not 100% ok, as is pointwork. investment in time, for me, is a cheaper option. I know everybody has their strengths in one field or another I just prefer to refurb what I can or build from scratch if its feasable for my limited talents.

Not sure where 300 pounds comes in. For example, Coastal DCC, a dealer I can vouch for, currently offers the Digitrax Zephyr Express, a fully-featured system with over 9000 loco addresses, for less than 200 pounds. Other dealers can offer similar prices, I am sure. I only really know about Digitrax, having used it for more than 20 years without regret, but know that other brands can also come in under 200 pounds.

But yes, if DIY is part of your enjoyment, then Bluetooth and presumably a touch-screen will serve very well. 

It was about ten years ago, I built and modified the controller mainly designed by Ernesto - link here http://dcctrains.netne.net/Command Station1Eng.html (all info freely available on his site) relatively low cost, and you'll get a good understanding of how this stuff works. I also built the decoders, again open source, from Paul Harman's site http://dccdiy.org.uk/index.htm

I made pcb's for Paul's decoders, with little plug in modules to piggy back the op amps, to get the ability to control up to 4 amps or more - just 'cos I could. Ernesto was developing a more advanced control system, radio/wifi/bluetooth I can't remember what, exactly, but maybe worth poking around on his site/forum.

wrt the ebay item, I've had a quick look at the pdf, and it would require a pretty good understanding of how the components fit together. You would also most likely need to be able to install software into the various micro controllers, which may, or may not need extra programming hardware. I am not in a position to recommend it. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Just get a Sprog II. Don’t have to make anything, just plug it in. Free open source software (JMRI) which is constantly updated, and with full support from Sprog DCC. 

Probably just as cheap as the e-bay option, since all that is, is limited function software ( only addresses 1-127, windows, android). You have to source all the parts yourself, at an advised approx cost of £35 ( don’t know if this includes power supply), and then build it. So around £47.

Sprog 2 is currently £45 direct from sprog DCC plus £10 for the power brick etc. Works with Win/Mac/Linux etc, Android/apple, via full function JMRI/Decoder Pro. 

Izzy

Or get a Pi-SPROG which is a self-contained unit that doesn't need a separate computer and so you don't have to worry about driver installation (which can be painful sometimes).

A complete system, including Raspberry Pi computer with wired and WIFI network connections, HDMI and USB connections, SPROG interface, pre-installed Linux OS and full JMRI software suite including DecoderPro costs £120.

You can operate the Pi-SPROG remotely over the network or plug-in a monitor, keyboard and mouse to operate it locally.

Edited by Harlequin

7 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Or get a Pi-SPROG which is a self-contained unit that doesn't need a separate computer and so you don't have to worry about driver installation (which can be painful sometimes).

A complete system, including Raspberry Pi computer with wired and WIFI network connections, HDMI and USB connections, SPROG interface, pre-installed Linux OS and full JMRI software suite including DecoderPro costs £120.

You can operate the Pi-SPROG remotely over the network or plug-in a monitor, keyboard and mouse to operate it locally.

Given you can get a full featured Roco white Z21 for £140-150 ready to go out of the box , and use your common or garden smartphone , you get a accessory  control , Railcom support and virtual mimic panels , reconfigurable loco functions  etc ,

why would you  cobble together  a pseudo diy system to save  £30 ! 

Edited by Junctionmad
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Junctionmad said:

Given you can get a full featured Roco white Z21 for £140-150 ready to go out of the box , and use your common or garden smartphone , you get a accessory  control , Railcom support and virtual mimic panels , reconfigurable loco functions  etc ,

Or just buy an NCE DCC Twin for 120 quid. 3 amps, works out of the box, has two throttles with proper knobs.  

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Junctionmad said:

Just saying that it's a neat package and it relates to the OP's original question about DIY DCC.

For the record: You can connect throttle apps on Smart devices to the Pi-SPROG via WIFI, create mimic panels on screen, control all locos functions with a high-level UI and control accessories. There is also Railcom software in the suite but I'm not sure of it's current status.

And one correction: The £120 package doesn't include a track-power PSU. A 2.6A 15V PSU can be added to the package for £22.

Edited by Harlequin

On 23/02/2019 at 11:49, Oldddudders said:

Or just buy an NCE DCC Twin for 120 quid. 3 amps, works out of the box, has two throttles with proper knobs.  

yes but that system only allows two locos to be setup  and operate simultaneously  ( you cant have a third powered up on the track even if not controlled ) , to operate any more , you need to buy additional throttles