GWR single tubular Signals , basic dimensions

• RMweb Gold

There is an official drawing in Vaughan's book which shows a dimension for the dolls on a bracket structure which as far as I know from up close study of them would be the same as ordinary straight post signal above the shoulder in the tube - it says 5.5" outside diameter.   Quite possibly it was 6" nominal outside diameter tube because it would inevitably have been a stock size.

The bit I don't know is the diameter below the 'shoulder' but it shouldn't be too difficult to find one to measure (with permission of course) on a heritage railway.  One challenge - which I think Dapol solved with their tubular post signals - is getting the proportions looking right between the two different diameters.

• Informative/Useful 1

LMS tubular posts should, in theory, have been built to the same dimensions. These varied very slightly according to date, but for 4mm or 7mm modelling purposes taking the two diameters as 5,5 ins and 6,5 ins would suffice as the variations would fall well within the thickness of a model's coat of paint.

12 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

There is an official drawing in Vaughan's book which shows a dimension for the dolls on a bracket structure which as far as I know from up close study of them would be the same as ordinary straight post signal above the shoulder in the tube - it says 5.5" outside diameter.   Quite possibly it was 6" nominal outside diameter tube because it would inevitably have been a stock size.

The bit I don't know is the diameter below the 'shoulder' but it shouldn't be too difficult to find one to measure (with permission of course) on a heritage railway.  One challenge - which I think Dapol solved with their tubular post signals - is getting the proportions looking right between the two different diameters.

The Dapol signal has the shoulder well up in the top 2/3 of the pole, was it that high ? Pictures of the real thing show the shoulder in the bottom 1/3 

Edited by Junctionmad

The LNERly and LMSRly drawings I have show the signal post to be 5 1/2 in dia and the butt 6 5/8 dia. Shorter signals, that is up to 20ft have 6ft "Butt", all taller signals have 10ft Butt, all measurements are above rail height.  Admittedly not GWRly, but probably the same dimensions and bought in from the same steel mill.

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Terra-Nova2 said:

Oh and I forgot to add the short answer is 6 1/2 inches diameter for the first 12 feet from rail level followed by 5 1/2 inches diameter. Spindle 12 inches below base of finial. There are loads of other dimensions in the article

Is that  for a 17ft 6" signal. (distance of the arm horizontal centre line above rail level) or a taller one?

17 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Is that  for a 17ft 6" signal. (distance of the arm horizontal centre line above rail level) or a taller one?

There are two single post drawings 

One is a 23' Stop and Distant Signal  and the other is an 18' Stop only and both have the wider dimension for 12' above rail level 

But I guess this may be one of those things where the draftsman's assumption and reality may be different !

20 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I've always gone by the figures quoted by MSE, which do state that the butt is always 12ft above rail height. Diameters of tube etc as above.

In Adrian Vaughn's book Great Western Signalling the only tube diameters I can find quoted are for the early colour light signals, which is shown as 5 1/2" and 6 1/2 ". Another diagram refers to the posts as "standard posts".  Anything with brackets appears to have a main post made of I girders.

Gordon A 

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Terra-Nova2 said:

There are two single post drawings 

One is a 23' Stop and Distant Signal  and the other is an 18' Stop only and both have the wider dimension for 12' above rail level 

But I guess this may be one of those things where the draftsman's assumption and reality may be different !

The normal dimensions for tubular steel were (horizontal centre line of arm above rail level)   -  12'6", 17'6", (possibly 21'6 - possibly for the stop arm when a lower arm distant was incorporated?') and 27'6".  The short post signals weren't all that common (and there were and are some even shorter examples about) and I would think the most common was 17'6" although as far as I can find a out all the original tubular post signals with a single arm had the arm at 27'6"  (they also had timber arms, not pressed and enamelled steel).  12'6" was widely used for colour light signals and numerous examples still exist.

There were of course examples of the arm being mounted some way below the top of the post, no doubt to improve sighting, so the arm would not have been at the normal height. 

1 hour ago, Gordon A said:

In Adrian Vaughn's book Great Western Signalling the only tube diameters I can find quoted are for the early colour light signals, which is shown as 5 1/2" and 6 1/2 ". Another diagram refers to the posts as "standard posts".  Anything with brackets appears to have a main post made of I girders.

Gordon A 

There is definitely a drawing showing 5.5" diameter for a doll on a bracket signal on a semaphore signal in that book.   Generally, and just about near universally, tubular steel bracket signals used tube for the main upright.  But there were some very rare exceptions which used I section angle - I'm fairly sure there was one at North East Jcn in Cardiff docks and it was unusually tall for some reason. 

Thanks for all these contributions 

does anyone have a good of of the back of the signal showing the arrangement for the spindle and lamp support bracket 

everything else I’ve now got good dimensions on 

I’m 3D printing the fittings to slide onto a suitable set of brass tubes , hence my interest in the exact type of clamp on fixture

thanks 

dave