A place to watch trains

• RMweb Gold

This will be a 200mm x 200mm diorama. The theme is about folk sitting on a bank side having a picnic and watching trains go by. 

I have pinched a few ideas from GeoffinOz which he kindly agreed to as he is building a cakebox with a similar scene.

embankment.

fence.

brick wall.

two lengths of track. 1 working line and 1 disused line. ( oo gauge ).

scenery.

diesel loco.

scenery/gravel.

and of course figures.

Edited by OOman
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

....made me think Kevin  - way back WCML pre electrification (1973) watching the EE D400's doubleheading up to Glasgow via Shap. And what a sight and sound that was for 12yr old lads to "watch the trains" building dens on the embankments feet away from the ballast. No galvanised 7ft fencing then - 3 wired stakes were easy to get through - all a no no today of course but hell it was good fun.

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi guys bit of an update. I’m still waiting for the diorama board to arrive. On a good note the wells electric trunking has arrived along with the ballast, track and red brick card. Hope to start soon.:good_mini:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Made a start building the baseboard from scalemodelscenery. I really like these small diorama boards.

i have placed the track where it will finally be laid.

trunking and relay boxes arrived.

im on nights tonight, so tomorrow I will concentrate on building the bank side and glueing the track in place.

92F51003-0202-4866-896E-806DEE192F99.jpeg.ca01f5d3ee6f0f5fe65843b1d6133f64.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Jerry thanks for your comments and interest into my diorama build.

Today I have started on the embankment structure and raising the mainline track a little.

Will post up a picture later today.

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all. I have been busy building the embankment structure and glueing the brick wall in place.

The mainline track and disused track have been glued in place. As you can see the drainage cover and trunking are glued in place ready for painting.

I have used a couple of bits of trunking to rest the relay boxes on, which you won’t see once ballasting has been completed. I have taken a few snap of my progress.

00D93E0F-0F5A-4D46-85BB-4E84982CF0FC.jpeg.55f64b8c90e833953055ae3c96aabaa9.jpeg71E161C5-E183-41CE-ADE7-ADA937F94537.jpeg.5fec5878a4cd81baa6a7d017073259b9.jpeg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Today I have started work on the embankment, covering it with kitchen towel and PVA glue.

The trunking along with the relay boxes have now been painted and weathered. I’m pleased the way the relay boxes have turned. 

Here are a couple of progress shots.

8122CAE7-A6BE-47F2-84CC-5DB2D553F5C3.jpeg.a68cce315983f3efb45d141cd8adfbcd.jpegC6384C77-6842-4EA8-8777-2F5E60B653ED.jpeg.526660e1d8b5893ee0310d73ce805b80.jpeg

• Like 6

Looking good, the embankment retaining wall looks good, I am having trouble with mine, the water kit arrived set so am using varnish instead for the water troughs. I mixed brown paint with the PVA when I did my embankment so that if the grass did not take then it looked like dirt showing through.

Nice work! I like that by focusing on a very small scene, you can perfect all the details to a t; the scene is coming together rather well.

Although I can't help but wonder if that cable trunking would still all have the lids on perfectly in real life... Perhaps carefully cutting a few off and littering them around, with a few cables straying out, would add more visual interest and realism. 

Either way, this should be a very interesting little diorama once complete.

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, GeoffinOz said:

Looking good, the embankment retaining wall looks good, I am having trouble with mine, the water kit arrived set so am using varnish instead for the water troughs. I mixed brown paint with the PVA when I did my embankment so that if the grass did not take then it looked like dirt showing through.

Hi Geoff thanks for the great comments. The embankment will be painted brown once I have applied a thin layer of filler. The diorama is coming along nicely.

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, TechnicArrow said:

Nice work! I like that by focusing on a very small scene, you can perfect all the details to a t; the scene is coming together rather well.

Although I can't help but wonder if that cable trunking would still all have the lids on perfectly in real life... Perhaps carefully cutting a few off and littering them around, with a few cables straying out, would add more visual interest and realism. 

Either way, this should be a very interesting little diorama once complete.

Hi TechnicArrow lovely comments thanks. I agree about lids, I will see what I can model around the trunking lids.

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Jerry1975 said:

Looking good, I would have been tempted to lay slightly wonky trunking as it is never perfectly straight and open up a few to show cables inside.

Jerry.

Hi Jerry thanks for the comments, I’m going to try and do some modelling on the trunking today, may be a few cracked and chipped lids and leave one of the lids off.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Kevin

Looking good, I Iike the weathering on the relay boxes and trunking, Jerry's and TechnicArrow's suggestion of removing a couple of lids to expose the cabling would look good. A few strands of painted fuse wire could work to represent the cabling.

Regards

Mark

• Thanks 1

Was it trespassers or Graffiti artists (same think I suppose)  who broke through. I think you could put a few Tags on the relay boxes and the wall. As for taking off a lid on the trunking, try the end section, it would be easier to hack at them.