The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

RIP Scott Walker...

Rugd1022

I was wandering around a music store in Dublin a few months ago, where they were playing Scott Walker. I thought it unusual; he's not exactly top of the current hit parade. I asked the girl behind the counter who the singer was (just to be sure that I wasn't mishearing). 'Scott Walker; Scott 3' she replied but also said her favourite was Scott 2.

She was in her mid 20s, born long after these classic albums were released. The fact that someone so relatively young knew of this great singer and songwriter enhanced my faith in our following generations.

Sing on Scott.

Glover

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Agree, Scott Walker had a great deal of talent and a fine voice. A sad loss.

I well remember during my apprenticeship all those years ago being in the inspection pits at Eastleigh Diesel Depot baring over a CP 171 traction motor on a Crompton type three to clean up the commutator. It was very cold and very dark., so singing my head of with my version of "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore" - seemed just right - it sounded very good to my ears if not my colleagues!

Richard B

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

MAF

Thanks for the link, Jacques Brel very influential in the 1960s and beyond. Whilst my musical taste has expanded greatly since the 1960s I was not aware of this connection, so thanks.

As for me improving Jacques Brel's accessibility to a wider audience, I'm not sure the fitters and fitters mates listening to me would have agreed.

Sounds just awful in Sidney!, keep your head down and the insect repellent handy! 

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

So you can't be artistic and an engineer and the reverse? 

What about Bunuel ? Look at what he did for the Great Western and Surrealism. Come on chaps free your mind.

• RMweb Gold

A transcendent genius; Scotts 1 - IV are essential parts of my record collection and I wouldn't be without them. I still listen to Climate of Hunter and Tilt quite regularly although I confess I've not heard the more recent albums. I felt that Tilt was about as far as I needed him to go in that direction.