A quick update from the weekends work. Brake gear was completed yesterday on the second bogie, which I think is a real advantage of using this kit over just a straight wheel swap for converting to EM/P4. 

Today I’ve spent the afternoon modifying the drivetrain for the first bogie, which now fits into the subframe perfectly. Will finish up the second bogie and then make a start on the springing. Photo of the work this weekend below: 

A7C0D8B1-B7E0-419A-BB25-D334D08C2D0E.jpeg.8eab69f0bb320546c4d585cae7c32b34.jpeg

Hope everyone is keeping well!

Kind regards,

Will

• Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 4 weeks later...

Bit of a mammoth day spent on 37114 today following my last day of work yesterday. PenBits bogies have been assembled with all of the springs, the cosmetic sideframes being finished and glued on, as well as starting work on opening out the fuel tank this evening. Pretty pleased with how she’s looking, and more importantly runs like a dream with the suspension!  

A few photos of progress:

2DF73105-3F18-4ED7-B706-9DB3A328FD21.jpeg.3ca944654e2957feadeccaa9de6cb8b6.jpeg96FE545A-ADA4-4C84-8304-4C5D7A9E449F.jpeg.eec9bfbacba777e5b310a2ef85759576.jpeg8EB4CB0E-0209-47DF-9F68-4ABE48399465.jpeg.baa6aec47dca03d9eec0e09a81dcf1bf.jpeg

Hoping to make some further progress on the tanks tomorrow and get a coat of primer on the bogies if the weather is nice!

A big thanks to everyone who has followed and supported the thread over the past year - it really is appreciated! Hope you all have a great Christmas and New Year!

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking good, I’ve got a couple of 37s awaiting Penbits bogies; some useful ideas about other detailing parts here too, thanks.  On things like this, I prefer to chemically blacken the brass parts rather than painting them; somehow I always end up missing a bit when I try to paint them!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 37114 said:

Nice model and a good choice of prototype!

Thanks very much! This is the formation I’m planning with 114/698. Just need to get on with mentor as well!BC9E9772-79BA-4515-8FF9-330BACAD957A.jpeg.fc27add37fe8e8f5b22b11595e56b747.jpeg

1 hour ago, Mark Forrest said:

Looking good, I’ve got a couple of 37s awaiting Penbits bogies; some useful ideas about other detailing parts here too, thanks.  On things like this, I prefer to chemically blacken the brass parts rather than painting them; somehow I always end up missing a bit when I try to paint them!

Thanks Mark very kind! The brake cylinders are pretty good but I couldn’t find any Class 50 ones or the ones from detail associates. Only thing is now every other 37 is going to need the same treatment! 

I did think about blackening but I must admit I’m much more comfortable spraying. As long as the bearing carrier area is masked I think it should be ok. Can always strip the paint off if I’m not happy, although saying that you’re probably not going to see it anyway after the PH etched snowploughs are on!

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

8 hours ago, NickL2008 said:

Hi Will, the Class 73 ones for the Dapol mode lare availiable from DCC supplies if youve seen, but arnt availiable as seperate spares from what ive seen, model is looking good

NL

Thanks Nick - are they available just with the sideframes then? Would be interested to see if you have a link?

Kind regards,

Will

Edited by Southwich

A quick photo update on 37114, probably the last of 2020. Fitted the ploughs, cosmetic springs, and made a start on the brake levers/chains today. I just have the noses to finish (lamp brackets, aerials and handrails) alongside the underframe brake levers, chains and pipe work (sandpipes, taps etc) then she’ll be ready for weathering when the weather improves next year. Really pleased with how this is coming along! 

62DED0EC-FE08-4622-A9B6-6894BC8B5A42.jpeg.e4f33abba3b0f1381f2499beba052bc4.jpegD6180F31-084E-466E-A292-7E7521C6CFF2.jpeg.0032e24d07b7041b54a958d0f08e16b5.jpeg2D6003CD-523D-4E69-85CD-7BB3C0ACF72A.jpeg.d7e05f67d360225659e2d64298eff2dd.jpeg90B0835A-2868-40B3-AA74-564D41244EE5.jpeg.104f8298e6c14713452aa7d54703e0bb.jpeg

Thanks for all the comments/likes this year!

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

8 hours ago, Southwich said:

A quick photo update on 37114, probably the last of 2020. Fitted the ploughs, cosmetic springs, and made a start on the brake levers/chains today. I just have the noses to finish (lamp brackets, aerials and handrails) alongside the underframe brake levers, chains and pipe work (sandpipes, taps etc) then she’ll be ready for weathering when the weather improves next year. Really pleased with how this is coming along! 

62DED0EC-FE08-4622-A9B6-6894BC8B5A42.jpeg.e4f33abba3b0f1381f2499beba052bc4.jpegD6180F31-084E-466E-A292-7E7521C6CFF2.jpeg.0032e24d07b7041b54a958d0f08e16b5.jpeg2D6003CD-523D-4E69-85CD-7BB3C0ACF72A.jpeg.d7e05f67d360225659e2d64298eff2dd.jpeg90B0835A-2868-40B3-AA74-564D41244EE5.jpeg.104f8298e6c14713452aa7d54703e0bb.jpeg

Kind regards,

Will

Hi Will, that looks great and takes the model to a new level. Look forward to seeing that finished. Have a great Christmas cheers Jerry

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Southwich said:

Kind regards,

Will

Absolutely amazing job on 114! Those bogies are just something else... I take my hat off to you for that... on a small detail note will you be lopping off the surplus water tank gauge/steps to convert it into a second fuel tank? 114 finished with one of the slab-sided pattern tanks, which I think was added when it was in two-tone grey.

A very sadly missed tractor and one I always thought wouldn't go to the torch - ditto 051 - I remember going round it at CD when it was having TPWS fitted and after a few enquiries, emerging with the water gauge off the boiler courtesy of a kind fitter who lent me his adjustable! That now sits in 264... (which carries 088s boiler... obviously). It had a big 'Max Power' sticker in the cab too.

Great work and a thoroughly interesting thread! :)

3 minutes ago, Firecrest said:

Absolutely amazing job on 114! Those bogies are just something else... I take my hat off to you for that... on a small detail note will you be lopping off the surplus water tank gauge/steps to convert it into a second fuel tank? 114 finished with one of the slab-sided pattern tanks, which I think was added when it was in two-tone grey.

A very sadly missed tractor and one I always thought wouldn't go to the torch - ditto 051 - I remember going round it at CD when it was having TPWS fitted and after a few enquiries, emerging with the water gauge off the boiler courtesy of a kind fitter who lent me his adjustable! That now sits in 264... (which carries 088s boiler... obviously). It had a big 'Max Power' sticker in the cab too.

re 114 being preserved, sadly a seized power unit (crankshaft bearings failed apparently) meant it was not to be, especially at the time when you could buy other 37's that had been switched off in working order. 051 was complete and would have been a good restoration but DRS bought it for spares and then stripped it completely.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 37114 said:

re 114 being preserved, sadly a seized power unit (crankshaft bearings failed apparently) meant it was not to be, especially at the time when you could buy other 37's that had been switched off in working order. 051 was complete and would have been a good restoration but DRS bought it for spares and then stripped it completely.

It was engine faults you're right... laid up at BS and then to Kingsbury? It's been a while... engine swap would have been a possibility, if you could fork out for a spare decent prime mover. Ah well...

051 was engine issues too as well I think - also boilered. Ahhh… that word 'complete', it hides so many sins. Not least the sheer weight of metal in the bedplate in the form of lost sockets, and spanners... :blink:

1 hour ago, Firecrest said:

Thanks Firecrest for the very kind words. Glad you think 114 is looking good! I am indeed planning on taking the extra gauge/steps off. I haven’t long finished the tanks and they’re very fragile, so putting any further work off on the tanks at the minute to be honest! I think opening up the tanks has made one of the biggest differences to the model! 

A few more months to go on 114 I think. Hoping to have it ready for weathering when the weather improves in the spring. Got another set of PenBits bogies for 47145 to keep me busy as well...

Kind regards,

Will

On 24/12/2020 at 22:15, NickL2008 said:

Thanks Nick - may have to give them a ring to see if I can just get the cylinders. £15 for 4 is a bit excessive given it would be £60 for a whole loco!

Kind regards,

Will

• Agree 1

The PenBits bug has well and truly bitten! My girlfriend purchased me a class 47 kit which I’ve duly started this evening:

4F15E406-1489-4E6C-8DB4-99BC6B0CCF4B.jpeg.02d426ea922233cd9df74036a5646f9d.jpeg

Subframes complete - bolsters on the agenda for tomorrow!

Hope everyone had a nice Christmas given the circumstances.

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 4

On 24/12/2020 at 06:07, Squirrel Rail said:

Hi Will, that looks great and takes the model to a new level. Look forward to seeing that finished. Have a great Christmas cheers Jerry

Thanks Jerry - apologies I missed your post (blame it on Christmas and not knowing what day it is! :jester: 

Thanks very much for the kind words - hoping it’ll be ready for weathering when the weather improves March/April time. 

Hope you had a great Christmas!

Will

7 hours ago, Southwich said:

Thanks Jerry - apologies I missed your post (blame it on Christmas and not knowing what day it is! :jester: 

Thanks very much for the kind words - hoping it’ll be ready for weathering when the weather improves March/April time. 

Hope you had a great Christmas!

Will

Hi Will, I sometimes get posts I don’t see! Great Christmas present too - if your 47 looks half as good as the 37 it will be a belter, cheers Jerry

• Thanks 1

On 24/12/2020 at 10:48, Firecrest said:

One for you @Firecrest , taken off the extra gauge/steps off of 114 this evening:

5895435E-796F-4261-8370-3EBB769F8D69.jpeg.96d25c132944f0f54bde022035c27923.jpeg

Interesting there’s a weird indent in the tanks - need to order some filler to get that filled in! Planning on making a start on the pipe work and sandpipes tomorrow.

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, Southwich said:

One for you @Firecrest , taken off the extra gauge/steps off of 114 this evening:

5895435E-796F-4261-8370-3EBB769F8D69.jpeg.96d25c132944f0f54bde022035c27923.jpeg

Interesting there’s a weird indent in the tanks - need to order some filler to get that filled in! Planning on making a start on the pipe work and sandpipes tomorrow.

Kind regards,

Will

Lovely! Nice job there :) 

• Thanks 1

Hi Will,

Could I be cheeky and ask you where all the parts are from that you have used on your 37 please? I have spent some time searching round for detailing parts etc for 37275/37351 with the intention of making up one of the old Immingham iron ore pairings in P4 using Penbits bogies, then rediscovered what you had been doing. The final product looks superb. You mentioned something off Shapeways for the brake valves?

Richie

2 hours ago, Rochdale Road said:

Hi Will,

Could I be cheeky and ask you where all the parts are from that you have used on your 37 please? I have spent some time searching round for detailing parts etc for 37275/37351 with the intention of making up one of the old Immingham iron ore pairings in P4 using Penbits bogies, then rediscovered what you had been doing. The final product looks superb. You mentioned something off Shapeways for the brake valves?

Richie

Hi Richie,

Thanks for the kind words! Funnily enough I was reading one of your conversion threads the other night and was going to comment but didn’t get round to it. Of course, please see shopping list below:

Shawplan:

- Etched windows without horns and backing plate (I think this is the biggest improvement that can be made to a Bachmann 37. The VITrains ones are much better all round IMO once laserglazed)

- Laserglaze for the 37

- Brake levers 

- Windscreen wipers 

- Roof fan/grille

Shawpeways:

- Brake cylinders are from the link below. They’re not perfect but I think they look nicer than the originals. I bought two packs so then I had some spares as you have to cut down the arm for the 37.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/JL53VSBUF/ho-sw1500-flexicoil-brake-cylinders-x8?optionId=61568664&li=marketplace

PHDesigns:

- 37/0 detailing set including the etched steps

- Etched snowploughs 

- 3D printed multiple working socket (think this may have been via Shapeways though!)

Lanarkshire models:

- Cast OLEO buffers for the 37. Much nicer than the original. Link here: http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com/lanarkshiremodelsandsupplieswebsite_136.htm

PenBits:

- Sprung bogies 

BlackBeetle:

- 14mm EM coach wheels (via @dj_crisp!)

Dingham couplings will be fitted along with various Bachmann/Vitrains detailing parts for the ends.

I think that is all - Hopefully the shopping list helps! Let me know if you need anything else and I can drop you a PM :) 

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers Will,

I presume it was the 47 thread you were reading? To be honest it’s sat in my small part completed pile, as I took the (brave/silly?) decision to go P4. I hadn’t laid any track at that time, and the more I thought about it, the more I felt it was the right decision.

So the 47, first of an eventual fleet of about five if plans work out, will be the next to be done after these 37s. You can’t have a 1980s period layout without at least a couple of growlers can you! But given i’ve order some Accurascale ‘Norse Hydro’ cargowaggons today before the end of year deadline, I’d better get the 47 progressed before they arrive!

Thanks for the shopping list, much appreciated. I’d got the Shawplan bits but missed the PHDesigns detailing kit. Might have a go at creating the CAD for some correct brake cylinders, as a winter project. Was there any reason you went for the black beetle wheel sets over Gibson or Ultrascale?

Richie

26 minutes ago, Rochdale Road said:

Cheers Will,

I presume it was the 47 thread you were reading? To be honest it’s sat in my small part completed pile, as I took the (brave/silly?) decision to go P4. I hadn’t laid any track at that time, and the more I thought about it, the more I felt it was the right decision.

So the 47, first of an eventual fleet of about five if plans work out, will be the next to be done after these 37s. You can’t have a 1980s period layout without at least a couple of growlers can you! But given i’ve order some Accurascale ‘Norse Hydro’ cargowaggons today before the end of year deadline, I’d better get the 47 progressed before they arrive!

Thanks for the shopping list, much appreciated. I’d got the Shawplan bits but missed the PHDesigns detailing kit. Might have a go at creating the CAD for some correct brake cylinders, as a winter project. Was there any reason you went for the black beetle wheel sets over Gibson or Ultrascale?

Richie

It was indeed - as I was looking at which wheels to order for 47145! I think I will ultimately end up going to P4 as well, however I want to get Motts Lane complete before I do so! 

The layout sounds great - will be interested to see a topic?

no worries at all; glad it was of use! If you do and decide to put them on sale so please let me know as I’d like some correct ones! I’ve never used ultrascale to be honest as I think they’re very expensive, and they take ages to be made (I’m very impatient!) I use a GW Models gear puller to take the old wheels off, and then put the new wheels on the existing axle with the gears. I prefer the full metal wheels over the Gibson ones, however for the 47 I think I’ll go Gibson purely for size reasons as they’re slightly larger than the 14mm used for the 37.

I don’t think there’s a right or wrong way to do things but that’s my personal preference from my year or so in EM.

Hopefully that helps!

Will

• Thanks 1