D&RGW narrow gauge: Back to scenics.

JZ

Leadville Designs kit. Laser cut wood, with plastic, brass and 3D printed parts.

270031989_10161758115274012_2555023443047977243_n.jpg.4b159170879ab29234762d3abc152891.jpg

Goes together well, but a couple of niggles. The writing for 'Section Men' should be smaller, as most photo's show it on a single line, but I did find a photo of it as applied.

465668473_049651.jpg.86368c36b5854566d994cc57af6fee75.jpg

The other is regards grab irons. On the ends it takes the standard 18", but on the sides and roof, the holes are set further apart, maybe 20", so had to re-bend them for these. I was using Tichy Trains ones. Otherwise happy with it and I'll be looking at getting a few more of their cars.

604658035_046953.jpg.8495300226dbebce0c4f80fc14650753.jpg

Definitely needs some weathering. Although marked for the Rotary OM, it would often find itself in work trains at other times of the year, so a welcome addition to my work train. This car survives today on the Durango & Silverton, although the Rotary OM is on the Cumbres & Toltec.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
On 01/09/2021 at 13:32, JZ said:

Got my eye on this.

2091162788_s-l1600(2).jpg.695858e6020dd57b93dacda1592554d3.jpg

The passenger loco, for that is what I shall call it, has the same overall length and width, so, hopefully, it should fit. It came with dummy sideframes for the bogies, so can adapt to fit wheelbase.

As for the freight loco, this will take a little more ingenuity. Thinking of adapting an N gauge chassis, maybe a GP30 or 40, but I need one without a split chassis. Then, would the gears take to being drilled out to accept 2mm axles. If so, then getting some Ultrascale 2'9" DMU wheel sets, these would work out, these would work out at 3'1½" dia in HO. As an alternative, maybe some 9mm 3mm scale DMU wheels on a 1.5mm axle.

On 04/09/2021 at 15:07, JZ said:

The passenger loco sitting on its donor.

fo.jpg.c2ad1161b5e057e910dd64dca6c58d31.jpg

Maybe a little shorter wheelbase than I would have liked, but the other choice was major surgery on an HO chassis. This is a Bemo FO Ge 4/4iii. Had to stretch the side very, very slightly to get it to fit, but a light filing inside the body should sort it. I'll bring the front valance around the side a bit more, a la Western, and remove the bottom, as per the freight loco. Next up will be finding a way to secure the bodies on, probably much easier with this one than the Warship chassis.

And my kits from Leadville designs have arrived. Only 6 weeks in the system, posted on 27 July in Ottawa. 

Hi there @JZ - I just wondered what you did with the spare body from the FO Ge 4/4iii ? I’ve just noticed a dealer in Warwickshire currently has an empty body listed on eBay for £59.50, with a separate listing for the empty box asking for £29.50.  Of course, they may not sell at that price but at £89 I thought it worth mentioning.  Keith.

(I don’t think it’s the body from yours - the air hoses have been fitted in the one I saw listed.  It’s also the wrong box as it happens, it’s been relabelled but the picture on the front is an RhB Ge 4/4ii)

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Hi there @JZ - I just wondered what you did with the spare body from the FO Ge 4/4iii ? I’ve just noticed a dealer in Warwickshire currently has an empty body listed on eBay for £59.50, with a separate listing for the empty box asking for £29.50.  Of course, they may not sell at that price but at £89 I thought it worth mentioning.  Keith.

(I don’t think it’s the body from yours - the air hoses have been fitted in the one I saw listed.  It’s also the wrong box as it happens, it’s been relabelled but the picture on the front is an RhB Ge 4/4ii)

Not mine but I did see it. If you are interested, PM me. I am toying with the idea of getting the earlier version to convert to diesel power and maybe paint in a fictitious RGS scheme. All depends on picking one up very cheaply.

A bit of alternative history.

It is reasonably well known that the D&RGW, along with the Southern Pacific, purchased a number of diesel hydraulic loco's from Krauss-Maffei in the early 1960's. What id less well know, is that the D&RGW and because of increased tourist traffic on the Silverton line, approached the Swiss Locomotive & Machine Works about a diesel version of the Ge 4/4 that they had built for the RhB. A single loco was produced using a modified body of the RhB type. Although it performed well enough, they turned to home builders for other diesel loco's.

1473032417_RhB4-4.jpg.bb84a06f36dcbaeeb7ed7882e9d5c34f.jpg

Whether this goes ahead depends on the availability of a cheap enough donor.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

A quick check on the USPS tracking  app this morning to find how my Fos Scale kits are getting on the their travels. Just to remind you, they are on a USPS International Priority service, with a 3-5 day delivery time, posted on the 16th December. So far they have travelled almost 2400 miles, yet are still in the United States. From Jewett City, CT, they travelled to Preston, CT. From there to Springfield, MA. Then to Memphis, TN, completely bypassing the International hub in Jamaica, NY. They are now in Miami, FL.

Screenshot_20211231-053731_Shop.jpg.19fdb5bebb64401ae87e2364e5c88929.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, JZ said:

Just put together the last of my stockcar kits, but hampered by a shortage of 3'7" trucks.

No doubt you've mentioned this and I've either missed the reference or forgotten, so apologies, but whose stock car kits do you favour? 

Thanks,

Mark

8 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

No doubt you've mentioned this and I've either missed the reference or forgotten, so apologies, but whose stock car kits do you favour? 

Thanks,

Mark

Don't think I have a preference. The Rail-Line ones have the advantage of being supplied with preformed metal grabs, usually with loads of spares. The last ones I have put together are E&B Valley( now Model Railroad General Store). A little more complex the the R-L kits, but go together well and include parts for different versions. PSC do a 34' version and this went together well. I have yet to try the Grandt Line, now San Juan, kit of the C&S/RGS, but judging by some of their other kits, these should also be good. Next up is to order a Leadville Designs laser cut one. Only the PSC comes with trucks, though I can't say I'm enamoured with their plastic ones, go for brass trucks. Funnily enough, the 34' cars were designed to also carry lumber, 2x16' lengths. History here.

So all in all, not much to choose between them, you pay your money and take your choice. I would happily get any that appeared on ebay, although I probably have more than enough now.

Edited by JZ
  • Thanks 1

Picture from the 2021 Colorado Narrow gauge calendar. One per month. If I remember.

January picture.

1410243351_01January489atGarfieldswitchbackMonardchbranchDec31950.jpg.2eea6bfc62bcbb03e28762a2d25f0253.jpg

489 reverses it's train up the Garfield switchback on the Monarch Branch. December 3rd 1950

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, JZ said:

Don't think I have a preference. The Rail-Line ones have the advantage of being supplied with preformed metal grabs, usually with loads of spares. The last ones I have put together are E&B Valley( now Model Railroad General Store). A little more complex the the R-L kits, but go together well and include parts for different versions. PSC do a 34' version and this went together well. I have yet to try the Grandt Line, now San Juan, kit of the C&S/RGS, but judging by some of their other kits, these should also be good. Next up is to order a Leadville Designs laser cut one. Only the PSC comes with trucks, though I can't say I'm enamoured with their plastic ones, go for brass trucks. Funnily enough, the 34' cars were designed to also carry lumber, 2x16' lengths. History here.

So all in all, not much to choose between them, you pay your money and take your choice. I would happily get any that appeared on ebay, although I probably have more than enough now.

Hi Jules,

many thanks for your answer - that's a huge help to a newbie in the arena like me! The E&B stock cars look great, and its good to know that they're still available. Funnily enough I've been eyeing up the MRGS listings on eBay, particularly the multi-packs, as a good way to get some stock car kits on my work bench, plus their flexibility sounds like an added bonus as I'm not completely decided on which era I'm going to model. Good advice on trucks as well, thank you - what are your thoughts on Kadee trucks?

Thanks again and best regards,

Mark

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Jules,

what are your thoughts on Kadee trucks?

Thanks again and best regards,

Mark

Kadee truck are the easiest to get hold of in the UK. They can be a bit fiddly to put together, I find it's best to get them fitted to the car before adding the wheels. They roll nicely and have a small amount of compensation. They do lack any form of brake rigging, but, unless you go around inspecting every car at eye level, it hardly shows. Grandt Line on the left, Kadee right. I will be honest and say Grandt Line, now San Juan Models, are my preference, but shipping is the problem. I will be stocking up as I intend to pay them another visit this summer when I visit Colorado.

20220103_203951_resized.jpg.7b1f02da281b678516c8c70ae80f0807.jpg

My main supplier is this one on ebay, who I believe is M G Sharp and I've always had a great service from them. For couplings I use Kadee #705 from same supplier. They come ready assembled, look better and are compatible with #713/714. They require a little widening of the coupler opening. Also, should you get any Micro Trains cars, they just screw in.

You might be interested in joining the Slim Gauge Circle. Only a tenner per year and covers all scales/gauges of North American narrow gauge modelling with regular sales of stuff. They have a Facebook group, but only accessible to members. One Facebook group worth looking at is this one. While mostly US based members, there are quite a few in Europe and Australia and you will find links to RGS, D&RGW and Colorado NG groups.

Anything else I can be a help with, PM me.

Julian

PS. The E&B/MRRGS kits come with styrene trucks and wheel sets. Bin the trucks and use the wheelsets for loads, or just dumped around the depot.

PPS. I have a spare E&B RGS 0404 caboose kit should you be interested. It also has parts for a D&RGW version.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, JZ said:

Kadee truck are the easiest to get hold of in the UK. They can be a bit fiddly to put together, I find it's best to get them fitted to the car before adding the wheels. They roll nicely and have a small amount of compensation. They do lack any form of brake rigging, but, unless you go around inspecting every car at eye level, it hardly shows. Grandt Line on the left, Kadee right. I will be honest and say Grandt Line, now San Juan Models, are my preference, but shipping is the problem. I will be stocking up as I intend to pay them another visit this summer when I visit Colorado.

20220103_203951_resized.jpg.7b1f02da281b678516c8c70ae80f0807.jpg

My main supplier is this one on ebay, who I believe is M G Sharp and I've always had a great service from them. For couplings I use Kadee #705 from same supplier. They come ready assembled, look better and are compatible with #713/714. They require a little widening of the coupler opening. Also, should you get any Micro Trains cars, they just screw in.

You might be interested in joining the Slim Gauge Circle. Only a tenner per year and covers all scales/gauges of North American narrow gauge modelling with regular sales of stuff. They have a Facebook group, but only accessible to members. One Facebook group worth looking at is this one. While mostly US based members, there are quite a few in Europe and Australia and you will find links to RGS, D&RGW and Colorado NG groups.

Anything else I can be a help with, PM me.

Julian

PS. The E&B/MRRGS kits come with styrene trucks and wheel sets. Bin the trucks and use the wheelsets for loads, or just dumped around the depot.

PPS. I have a spare E&B RGS 0404 caboose kit should you be interested. It also has parts for a D&RGW version.

Hi Julian,

many thanks once again for your kind and patient answers: its enormously appreciated.

Interesting about the trucks - the Kadee versions look nice, but once the lack of brake gear is seen, it can't be unseen! But as you say, at normal viewing distances it isn't too obvious. Thanks also for the heads-up about the E&B/MRRGS trucks and wheels.

I've had a few Kadee couplers in the past when I was contemplating a logging layout and starting building a few flat car kits, and I was very impressed with their quality. I'm afraid your eBay link doesn't work for me, but I've googled MG Sharp.

I've recently joined the SGC, and over Christmas I've been happily reading the sample Circulars that I received. I've also joined a couple of FB groups, one of which is the one you've linked to, again thanks.

Thanks also for the offer of help - any advice is welcome, and I'm sure to have at least a few more questions about the subject. I'll PM you about the caboose kit as well, I've been looking at those on eBay!

All the best,

Mark

As mentioned, I've put together some E&B stock cars. Two of them were listed as started. Unfortunately, the person who started them messed up and fitted all the upper side pieces on one car and on one end on the other. Maybe that's why they gave up. After gently trying to ease them apart, I too gave up, as it would have caused too much damage.

1001293980_271488998_10161782319644012_8071581365143202588_nv2.jpg.736e3f5f24c5f08f99b9f5a557f2af27.jpg

So making the best of a bad job, I decided to freelance them. My layout imagines a line from Dolores, on the RGS, to Monticello, UT.

Monticello was a cattle area in the 1880s, so I've extended the timeline a bit for these. The local ranchers association owning a few of their own cars to ensure they had enough when stock needed moving. Decals made in MS Paint. To get the correct colour, I photographed the bare side of the car, uploaded it into paint and sampled the colour into the palette. Font is Railroad Roman 1916 and is available free.

271488998_10161782319644012_8071581365143202588_n.jpg.e81fb5df3c9257ec1a65c78b5dbbdc00.jpg

271505403_10161782319729012_8951389808906812850_n.jpg.83a459fabeda5371770d7182169e4836.jpg

The area was and still is known for dry farming. In the 1940's and '50's, vanadium and uranium was mined in the area and some oil is still pumped in the region. All excuses for mixed traffic on the line.

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Browsing ebay the other day and my finger slipped.

271735624_10161791316154012_1513911135389379562_n.jpg.7be0cd6b7c1427d8f2b40f8c7ba787b2.jpg

No, I'm not giving up on the HOn3 and I'm not converting this. I've always had a fascination with British narrow gauge and the L&B in particular. Before embarking on the present layout, I had collected a couple of Peco L&B carriages for a bargain £30 for a pair and a Bachmann Woody Bay station building. These, together with some OO9 that I never got around to selling, will form the basis of County Gate, an imagined station on the proposed Minehead & Lynton Railway. It will go on a 1200mmx400mm laser cut baseboard I've laid my hands on. Now to source suitable boards for fiddle yards. Probably supplement this with a Bachmann Baldwin or Minitrains Alco.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JZ said:

Browsing ebay the other day and my finger slipped.

271735624_10161791316154012_1513911135389379562_n.jpg.7be0cd6b7c1427d8f2b40f8c7ba787b2.jpg

No, I'm not giving up on the HOn3 and I'm not converting this. I've always had a fascination with British narrow gauge and the L&B in particular. Before embarking on the present layout, I had collected a couple of Peco L&B carriages for a bargain £30 for a pair and a Bachmann Woody Bay station building. These, together with some OO9 that I never got around to selling, will form the basis of County Gate, an imagined station on the proposed Minehead & Lynton Railway. It will go on a 1200mmx400mm laser cut baseboard I've laid my hands on. Now to source suitable boards for fiddle yards. Probably supplement this with a Bachmann Baldwin or Minitrains Alco.

County Gate?!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JZ said:

Roughly halfway twixt Porlock and Lynton on the A39. https://goo.gl/maps/4BN5YcXLMYyDcGuP6

I believe there was a layout called County Gate on the exhibition circuit a few years back based on the same premise.

There was indeed an exhibition layout of that name, based on that premise. I believe it still exists although it has not been shown for some time. Its website still exists. 

Followed by a quite spectacular diorama called Cliffhanger and a small diorama of Bratton Fleming. 

Between those and the well-known Chelfham viaduct model, I'd suggest that the bar for L&B set-pieces was very high. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rockershovel said:

There was indeed an exhibition layout of that name, based on that premise. I believe it still exists although it has not been shown for some time. Its website still exists. 

I'll have to look it out. Never saw it in the flesh, but I seem to remember seeing it in Railway Modeller maybe?

There are so few places that this line would have gone through, that it makes naming a location difficult. The other possibility is Countisbury. Otherwise, move inland, but still has a climb after Porlock, then drop into Oare Water Valley and meet the East Lyn River.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

To show that progress hasn't stopped, my latest acquisition.

20220128_190115.jpg.e33e105afaf501026335755ad191b731.jpg

Hudson Hornet from Classic Metalworks. I've been after this for a while, but they were fetching ridiculous prices. In the end I found it at Hatton's of all places.

• Like 6