D&RGW narrow gauge: Back to scenics.

JZ

Tried to post this last night, but, frustratingly, RMweb was have problems, yet again. Mind you, the adverts seemed to come up OK.

272843394_10161838760364012_3690009977708901419_n.jpg.ffe17784c8cf8419e6cc52967aaf9264.jpg

So, this is on a Bachmann/Farish Warship chassis. Wheels and axles have been changed for wheelsets supplied by the TT3 Society. Still need to think of how to attach the body to the chassis. There will be plenty of room for a sound decoder and speaker. It had a 6-pin decoder fitting, now must look around for a suitable American diesel sounds decoder for it. Anyone have any suggestions?

As for the other diesel. I not happy with the looks of it on the Bemo chassis, it need to be about 5mm longer, but the chassis doesn't lend itself to being extending. So it sits on the back burner until I get my head around what to do.

In the meantime, I am quite happy with the boards purchased for Malmsmead and will get more to build a small, exhibitable, HOn3 layout, probably next winter. The plan this summer is to get a full working loop in the shed. Once this is done, I can get the scenics done. No rush as this was always something I would work on into retirement.

Edited by JZ
  • Like 4

On 14/11/2021 at 18:07, JZ said:

And some pictures of the FreeMo layout at the meeting. Might have a go myself at a module for next year.

20211114_122318_resized.jpg.38e01130e260c186ea783bdd90eed61b.jpg

20211114_122303_resized.jpg.939af204902da2cab6d9256c8895311e.jpg

20211114_122524_resized.jpg.de6b7a25589a3d7dc98d479e676f2134.jpg

20211114_122347_resized.jpg.4c2899a168810c0e85eea66e3bf9e4a4.jpg

20211114_122256_resized.jpg.d7377b4c009f007f69dadb91b7ace294.jpg

20211114_122336_resized.jpg.1b59e462bb69797b6ab2db4b4ab48f2d.jpg

Just stumbled across your thread, I was at this show too.

Getting heavily involved in On3 myself.

JB.

• Like 2

Just put together some Grainge & Hodder boards for Malmsmead and now thinking of getting some to showcase HOn3 to the wider public. Had originally thought about doing some FreeMo modules to join in with the Slim Gauge Circle ones, but, in the end, I want a bit more licence with what I can do. The plan would be the end of a short branch with no turning facilities for loco's. Plan to use a couple of 1200x400 units, one bespoke with a cutaway to take the bridge in earlier posts, probably a 45° corner and a traverser. After weighing the options of a fiddle yard versus traverser, the traverser won out on grounds of cost, £50 for the board and 5x£16 for turnouts and space, it only needs a 900mm board, as opposed to a 1200mm.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

After inquiring in the HOn3 Modellers group, such a branch has come to light. Baldwin, on the D&RGW. The loco's had to run tender first to Castleton, about 4½ miles, to be turned there. So, I was thinking of somewhere like Creede, CO.

450-CRO-6c1CreedeO-409-900-700-99.jpg.f68a43a33fe83d5f251d5c5349ddc30a.jpg

Buildings to the rear of the layout, with a rock wall behind, maybe a stream, emerging from a spring or waterfall, at the front, and the railway and a road in between. just a run round and a couple of spurs. Then have the valley open up on the next board, then disappear in to a tunnel through a bluff.

And Creede today. From the town's website.

creede-downtown-carshow2_courtesy_1600.jpg.32822f03081c30911a81cc521d0156ef.jpg

Edited by JZ
picture added.
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Great pictures of Creede; I'd also like to know more about Baldwin. I'm looking at D&RG branch line terminal stations for inspiration for my HOn3 project.

Grainge & Holder baseboards are excellent. I'm using one for my current L&BR quayside micro build and will certainly be going back to them.

Looking forward to seeing your next instalment.

Cheers,

Mark

3 hours ago, JZ said:

The plan would be the end of a short branch with no turning facilities for loco's.

2 hours ago, JZ said:

After inquiring in the HOn3 Modellers group, such a branch has come to light. Baldwin, on the D&RGW. The loco's had to run tender first to Castleton, about 4½ miles, to be turned there. So, I was thinking of somewhere like Creede, CO.

450-CRO-6c1CreedeO-409-900-700-99.jpg.f68a43a33fe83d5f251d5c5349ddc30a.jpg

Buildings to the rear of the layout, with a rock wall behind, maybe a stream, emerging from a spring or waterfall, at the front, and the railway and a road in between. just a run round and a couple of spurs. Then have the valley open up on the next board, then disappear in to a tunnel through a bluff.

Ouray is also a possibility, if you only represent the track south from the engine shed, which was a bit out of town.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, pH said:

Ouray is also a possibility, if you only represent the track south from the engine shed, which was a bit out of town.

Trouble is that I don't know how to pronounce it. I've heard Waaray, Ooray and Ohray. Don't have that problem with Creede or baldwin.

• Funny 4

Just now, JZ said:

Trouble is that I don't know how to pronounce it. I've heard Waaray, Ooray and Ohray. Don't have that problem with Creede or baldwin.

That is the most unusual reason I’ve heard for choosing a location to model! :lol:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

1 minute ago, pH said:

That is the most unusual reason I’ve heard for choosing a location to model! :lol:

I'm hoping to visit this year, so I may get the correct answer.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JZ said:

I'm hoping to visit this year, so I may get the correct answer.

Here you go:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yps4FwKe3_M

If you’ve got the time, I’d recommend driving the San Juan Skyway:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Juan_Skyway

It’s a 230 mile loop that, clockwise from Durango, follows the routes of the Rio Grande Southern, the Ouray branch of the D&RGW, the Silverton Railroad and the Durango and Silverton. It can be done in a day (we did) but there’s plenty of reasons to take more time. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, pH said:

Youray.

3 minutes ago, pH said:

If you’ve got the time, I’d recommend driving the San Juan Skyway:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Juan_Skyway

It’s a 230 mile loop that, clockwise from Durango, follows the routes of the Rio Grande Southern, the Ouray branch of the D&RGW, the Silverton Railroad and the Durango and Silverton. It can be done in a day (we did) but there’s plenty of reasons to take more time. 

I've done the first part to Mancos a couple of times, but, if I get to go this year, I'm planning four nights in Durango, so could get to do this.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, JZ said:

I've done the first part to Mancos a couple of times, but, if I get to go this year, I'm planning four nights in Durango, so could get to do this.

I would recommend reading up a bit before you do the drive - not everything is obvious. For example, I drove right through the site of Ophir station and didn’t realize I had till I looked at maps afterwards.

• Like 2

Worked out  he fixing of the body/chassis. The fuel tank that came with the model has been adapted to clip onto the chassis. Stop blocks in the body stop any fore and aft movement. If this isn't adequate, I can add some small screws through the footplate into the tank.

273020697_10161848034989012_5132146294423131573_n.jpg.7ca829e875c06e3435e8d1b548349a2d.jpg

Next up is to cut'n'shut the truck frames, although I do think it looks good with inside frame, it's probably not very prototypical. The chassis came with a 6-pin decoder, and now on the lookout for a sound one, the one in this can then go into my Manning Wardle on Malmsmead.

• Like 4

Chatting to a few fellow HOn3 gaugers, it was noted that the GL-8 had traction motors in the frames and drove the axles via shafts. They also ran on heavy duty freight trucks. I have managed to locate some that would normally have been binned. They need the WB extended by 3mm. Something I will do when I return from Man. (see next post).

• Like 1

No photo's of the railways here on the Isle of Man as everything in closed. Followed the route of the Electric Railway, as far as possible, yesterday morning. I was staggered how steep the gradient was from the terminus at Douglas and then down into Groudle Glen. Fair amount of maintenance underway, including relaying some track with concrete sleepers. Seeing the rails that far apart had me dreaming of seeing a K-36 around the next corner. Later followed the route of the MNR from Ballaugh to Knocksharry. Can't help thinking that this would have been the more picturesque route. Today had a tour around the north of the island and followed parts of the TT course, in reverse direction. All I can say is the riders must be bonkers.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Did a tour of the TT circuit this morning, took me about an hour longer than the lap record. Had a go at filming it, but holding a video camera while driving was difficult.:O. Seriously though, I did rig up the tripod in the passenger seat, but unfortunately didn't ballast the legs securely enough and it moved while negotiating some of the sharper bends. Problem now solved and will attempt again early Sunday. Not going to attempt any do-daring and the forecast is for rain, but if I do it in around an hour, I will be happy. Now off to the Little Fish Café. Food was superb on Tuesday, but fully booked last night, so booked in for tonight. If anyone is in Douglas and enjoys seafood, you must give it a try.

• Like 2

Another loco added to the fleet today, Rio Grande Southern #41. It's in an earlier livery than I would have preferred, but beggars can't be choosers. Besides, I have the correct decals to update it. 41 survives today at Knott's Berry Farm.

From Shapeways I have purchased a new headlight to update my existing C-19 and a railcar for the MoW crews.

710x528_31841904_16773944_1624225383_1_0.jpg.e68f9c220a7d45abed0e4f7fc762b0ab.jpg

Edited by JZ
  • Like 2

I have been doing a bit of research into the liveries she carried. The one she is in was on until late 1941 or early 1942. After this the 'sunrise' livery was on, with the number now on the cab side. After 1945 the tender carried the words RIO GRANDE SOUTHERN on two lines and evidently very wobbly. In preservation from 1952, it reverted to the sunrise.

RioSouthernblk_grande.jpg.9142fa6b1d3914753140d9b4b80cb1d1.jpg

My preference would be the post 1945. But. Only one firm do this decal and, for reasons unbeknown to me, only once on each sheet. Then it appears that they only post to Continental US. Then if they would post, there are the vagaries of the USPS. I am expecting a package from Narrow Gauge Colorado. According to the USPS notification service, it left Los Angeles International Airport on the 11th, again on the 12th, then the 14th, then again on the 15th and again on the 16th.

• Friendly/supportive 4

And the package left LAX again last night. Apart from the 14th, when it left at 6pm, it always been 6:15pm.

As for the C-19, I am now thinking of leaving as is. The RGS closed in 1952 after losing in US Mail contract due to failing to clear snow and get the mail through during the winter of 1951/2. What if the winter had been mild? Maybe new mineral deposits were discovered en route? Not enough for a boom, but enough for it to struggle on for a few more years. There you have my excuse for the Geese and two loco's in RGS livery. Rule 1 applied.

• Like 4

Managed to get my hands on a Downtown deco kit. These are cast plaster The one I have got is Syzdek Manufacturing. Many people in the structures group I am in rave about these kits, so when I saw this one available in the UK, I pounced on it. Another new medium to me and will find a home in Lucyville, although something else may have to go to find room, but it was always my plan to upgrade buildings as better ones became available.

• Like 2