Class 455

Only if you have 2 150's!

Seriously though, you'd need to create a few extra windows at the cab ends of the centre cars and also all the toilets need to be removed. The easiest sub class would be the 455/9 based on the cab ends (and the lack of class 508 trailer!)

Only if you have 2 150's!

Seriously though, you'd need to create a few extra windows at the cab ends of the centre cars and also all the toilets need to be removed. The easiest sub class would be the 455/9 based on the cab ends (and the lack of class 508 trailer!)

Thanks for the reply. Getting two isn't a problem! Once I sell I'll my current stock I'll have the money.

Although the 445/9 subclass would be an easier option, I'm pretty set on doing the newer 455/8 refurbished type, with different cab ends in southern livery. It will be a challenge but well worth it! By the way, I'm not sure what your talking about when you mention the 508 trailer?

And while I'm at it I'm assuming I can get can get decals and the correct paint for southern livery?

Although the 445/9 subclass would be an easier option, I'm pretty set on doing the newer 455/8 refurbished type, with different cab ends in southern livery. It will be a challenge but well worth it!

I'll be very interested to see how you get on. Please keep us regularly updated with progress and plenty of pictures.

G.

All of the Mk.3 units share the same basic bodyshells. Your main problem is going to be the large windows as two untis alone won't provide enough of them and matching the appearance will be hard. A third extra unit would give enough of those windows and the extra inner ends you need to relace the surplus cabs too. You will also need different bogie sides for the power car.

I'll be very interested to see how you get on. Please keep us regularly updated with progress and plenty of pictures.

G.

I will, but i might be a little while till i start it.

All of the Mk.3 units share the same basic bodyshells. Your main problem is going to be the large windows as two untis alone won't provide enough of them and matching the appearance will be hard. A third extra unit would give enough of those windows and the extra inner ends you need to relace the surplus cabs too. You will also need different bogie sides for the power car.

Really?

I thought they had the same bogies, the BREL series 3 type?

Edit: Would it be possible to explain with pictures. I get the gist of what your saying, but I'm not sure what you mean. I thought the 150 had the same window pattern.

The motor bogies on the 455 MS are noticeably different to those on the DTS's and TS. The 455 doesn't have a toilet, so the combination of windows is different, hence needing the additional large window.

Immerse yourself in this excellent fotopic site:

http://ukrailwaypics.fotopic.net/c950478.html - 150's

http://ukrailwaypics.fotopic.net/c272160.html - SWT 455's (includes useful side-on pics of 455/8's)

http://ukrailwaypics.fotopic.net/c47875.html - Southern 455's

HTH

Hiya, ta for the website plug wink.gif

To try and explain/expand a bit on Bernards comments:

You'd need more than 2 models to cut & shut into a 4 car unit unless you were planning to change the window layout and remove cabs by cutting new windows and filling holes, that's not particularly easy to get looking good next to nice neat moulded & flushglazed windows.

So - Why do you need more than 2?

Effectively if you have 2x class 150s coupled together you have 2x cab area's in the middle of the 4x cars which shouldn't be there.

Each of those cab area's should have a normal large side window instead of the drivers door/cab side window arrangement that you get at a cab end, so as well as the 2x class 150s you need 4x extra large window bodyside sections to replace the 4x cab sides that shouldn't be there, plus two "inner" ends from a third donor unit.

You also have 2x toilet compartments in your 2x 150 donors which shouldn't be there either, so you need 2x more large side windows to replace those.

Bernard's point I think was that getting it looking nice after cutting new windows in wouldn't be easy, much easier to use a third pair of bodyshells then you have nice glazed matching windows to the unmodified bits.

I've attached a quick diagram showing what I mean and where the bits of the 3x 150s end up, hope that helps!

post-6762-127262931678.jpg

On the plus side you now have a couple of chassis that you can ebay as spares smile.gif

Further issues to look out for:

Roofs could also be an issue if they have hatches for water tanks installed (the 150 has one on one car) - check photo's again, not sure that the 455s will have any if they don't have a toilet.

Ref the bogies, on the 3x trailer cars I think the bogies will work, but the 455 motor car bogies are much chunkier, see pics for details basically.

I don't know what's available in N scale in terms of livery elements for Southern or bits like cosmetic bogie sideframes either, sorry.

Were you planning on the early 455 end (unrefurbished) or even more kitbashing to get the current A/C fitted/refurbished Southern 455 end out of interest?

Hiya, ta for the website plug wink.gif

To try and explain/expand a bit on Bernards comments:

You'd need more than 2 models to cut & shut into a 4 car unit unless you were planning to change the window layout and remove cabs by cutting new windows and filling holes, that's not particularly easy to get looking good next to nice neat moulded & flushglazed windows.

So - Why do you need more than 2?

Effectively if you have 2x class 150s coupled together you have 2x cab area's in the middle of the 4x cars which shouldn't be there.

Each of those cab area's should have a normal large side window instead of the drivers door/cab side window arrangement that you get at a cab end, so as well as the 2x class 150s you need 4x extra large window bodyside sections to replace the 4x cab sides that shouldn't be there, plus two "inner" ends from a third donor unit.

You also have 2x toilet compartments in your 2x 150 donors which shouldn't be there either, so you need 2x more large side windows to replace those.

Bernard's point I think was that getting it looking nice after cutting new windows in wouldn't be easy, much easier to use a third pair of bodyshells then you have nice glazed matching windows to the unmodified bits.

I've attached a quick diagram showing what I mean and where the bits of the 3x 150s end up, hope that helps!

post-6762-127262931678.jpg

On the plus side you now have a couple of chassis that you can ebay as spares smile.gif

Further issues to look out for:

Roofs could also be an issue if they have hatches for water tanks installed (the 150 has one on one car) - check photo's again, not sure that the 455s will have any if they don't have a toilet.

Ref the bogies, on the 3x trailer cars I think the bogies will work, but the 455 motor car bogies are much chunkier, see pics for details basically.

I don't know what's available in N scale in terms of livery elements for Southern or bits like cosmetic bogie sideframes either, sorry.

Were you planning on the early 455 end (unrefurbished) or even more kitbashing to get the current A/C fitted/refurbished Southern 455 end out of interest?

I'm planning to do the refurbished ones. I don't think cab ends should be a problem, it'd be quite fun actually.

Expect some sort of progress in maybe a month or so. I'll start a blog about. And if anyones intrested, the reason i'm going to make these, is because i'm currently planning the replicate West Norwood station in N. Its one those inner city/suburban areas, a similar feel to Grahame's Hedges hill cutting.

Thanks for the replys by the way!

Oh great, West Norwood I can see that from my office window.

You will need some stock though, 319's 455/8's the 2 car units which I can never remeber the TOPS number for and there is some freight movement as well mostly 66's also 59's and some departmental, yellow 31 and grey 73 both seen recently.

Tony.

Oh great, West Norwood I can see that from my office window.

You will need some stock though, 319's 455/8's the 2 car units which I can never remeber the TOPS number for and there is some freight movement as well mostly 66's also 59's and some departmental, yellow 31 and grey 73 both seen recently.

Tony.

Really? Hope you don't mind me asking but where do you work? And also, i think you mean class 456 EMUs. :)

I work in the bus garage, 456's yes thats the chaps!

Tony

Aaah, thats strange. I'm never met any people online who've even heard of West Norwood!

You know whats strange, in all my life, i have next seen one diesel or freight locomotive in West Norwood and i've been hear for years! It would be nice if you gave some details of what you've seen. What liverys for example?

the 10 wes just gone through, its a tad early today!

59's Hansen regular working from Purley I think.

66's EWS and more recently I noticed a Freightliner liveried one, which is on simular liveried wagons not up on the type though.

Tony

the 10 wes just gone through, its a tad early today!

59's Hansen regular working from Purley I think.

66's EWS and more recently I noticed a Freightliner liveried one, which is on simular liveried wagons not up on the type though.

Tony

Really :)

Excuse my ignorance but whats a 10wes?

I'm familiar with 5wes units but never heard of 10wes before.

That's quite a distance though: Ernest Ave is not exactly next to the station and I doubt you'd see the actual entrance at Knights Hill. The section above Norwood High Street perhaps? You're lucky though, having a hobby shop nearby (does it do trainsets? Never been there ;))

Ahh, the benefits of Google Streetview ;) :D

:)

I don't think it does actually. I think its more , radio controlled cars, planes, toys and things, but i should check actually, because its extremley local.

Back to work!

Can't see the enterance but can see passing trains in the station although the trees are getting in the way a bit now!! I am not sure about train sets but the bits and pieces, yes.

Tony

Back to work!

Can't see the enterance but can see passing trains in the station although the trees are getting in the way a bit now!! I am not sure about train sets but the bits and pieces, yes.

Tony

Aah, i never expected that you'd be able to see the station from there.

By the way, when you said that'd you saw a 59, what kind of wagons was it hauling?

By the way, when you said that'd you saw a 59, what kind of wagons was it hauling?

Hansen Hoppers not sure what their TOPS code is though.

Been a bit busy so not been looking but I havn't forgotten about watching out for the freight.

Tony

Archived