Bob Hordern

• 2 weeks later...

Another “unseen scene “ this time a rear view of the mill. I always try to model buildings from all sides wherever possible.

Fowler mechanical diesel prepares to propel wagons into Kirtley bridge loop.

4986D783-E931-48F4-8685-34A5E334A8D7.jpeg.bd6e850609af955d5c5a47f12b59cc9a.jpeg

Edited by Bob Hordern
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s some more ‘unseen’ scenery.

This time it’s the pub with the old/front door on Bridge Street and the normal/back door down on High Street.

These days the former is only used for weddings and funerals whilst the latter handles locals and deliveries.

image.png.77b6ced4d7085fe350c966f569a3c794.png

4115F59D-167E-4D3E-8E83-1DCABE7655A9.jpeg.d36d39a4bd7eb9f8cbac892989e35b2a.jpeg

Edited by Bob Hordern
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

wouldn't you just love to go and live at Kirtley Bridge, popping over to the Golden Lion for a lunchtime pint and then sitting in the summer sunshine on the bench at the station watching the comings and goings... then hop on that bicycle and pedal off across the fields back home?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Your buildings, walls and other "brick like" structures, what materials/products have you used to create them as they are so authentically "northern" and I'm struggling to get away from the far more common brick-based structure products?

I think the generic name is "ashlar", which can be "random" for earlier structures and becomes more brick like later on and any tips that might transfer from 7mm to my 4mm set up would be very helpful.

Thx in anticipation.

Hi guys 

Yes Kirtley Bridge is maybe a bit too halcyon but the various cameos are preferable to the satanic mills approach of many ‘northern’ layouts. 
As for the buildings they are almost all Slaters stonework glued to ply or cardboard structures. I enjoy this part of the hobby and always try to use real prototypes.

Kirtley Bridge is next on the road at Pendle MRC exhibition in Colne on November 19/20.

cheers for now, Bob 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bob Hordern said:

Pendle MRC exhibition in Colne

Thx, and Pendle, I had decided not to go this year as it had got a bit same-y and not my modelling profile - no pre-grouping! - Kirtley Bridge's attendance is just the incentive I need.

• Like 1

Great. Do say hello!

Here's my rational.........

KIRTLEY BRIDGE

“In the Yorkshire Dales, in the closing years of the nineteenth century, a group of local businessmen in upper Wharfedale raised funds to build a light railway to serve their estates, farms, mills and quarries. Trains would run up the valley through the village of Hebden to Kirtley Bridge. Local people too hoped to use the line to reach the nearby cities of the North and West Ridings of Yorkshire for work and travel.

As with many such enterprises the optimism of the early owners did not match the realities of running a railway profitably, and so it was with some relief locally that the Midland Railway Company took over the line even before it was completed. This was soon reflected in the trackwork, station buildings and railway practices that followed, until the LMS took control in 1923. Around this time too, the company negotiated to run a through service to the small hamlet at Dalehead, no doubt encouraged by the increased traffic and Bradford Corporation’s plans to build a new reservoir at the upper end of the valley”.

The branchline and growing village of Kirtley Bridge are modelled as they might have been in the late 1930s, when passenger and goods services were both operating fully.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Hordern said:

rational

Similar to mine, but mine is based on a real branch line, the Barnoldswick one just north of Colne. That was indeed funded by local business people who opened the just under 2 mile branch in 1871 after they had been bypassed by the Midland Railway's Skipton to Colne line in 1848.

The Midland operated the branch from day 1 and the line was a success paying a 5% dividend to its shareholders such that the Midland bought them out in 1899. And it remained a busy line for both goods and passengers  until complete closure in 1966.

So I'm trying to create a similar sort of "feel" and I'm looking forwarding to seeing Kirtley close up at the show.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

The bird's eye view explains a lot about the general disposition of the various parts of the layout with which I've become aquainted from your earlier posts.  Quite a challenge to move and set up for an exhibition, I should think, but really worthwhile.  One of these days, I'll try and catch Kirtley Bridge "in person".  In the meantime, I'll continue to follow your exploits from a distance, on RMweb.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Latest pics following return home.

The first shows the rarely opened gates at Kirtley Crossing and the other a busy moment at Kirtley Bridge station - Jinty #7471 seen departing with branch passenger and 4F #4197 sorting a train of goods vans.

CDA06B20-BF29-49B6-9A40-74C1595362EC.jpeg.944ca24a0f116d6a7db14dc614e0f031.jpeg 
739602C3-8A24-4540-A7D6-738E617F5BA4.jpeg.d6d3fd254e8926c348b9d30e085c8b4a.jpeg

Edited by Bob Hordern
  • Like 11

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well it’s almost time for the Stafford Show. I’m busy getting things sorted and packed up for the 100 mile journey. If you find yourself there, do say hello!  
Best wishes, Bob and helpers.

Edited by Bob Hordern
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...