Bob Hordern

Busy scene at Hebden Beck quarry. The workmen’s coach has arrived and the early shift has begun and the first departure of stone wagons is underway. The gunpowder train apparently arrived overnight - operator error!

IMG_8072.jpeg

Edited by Bob Hordern
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...

Began work this week on the overbridge that will hide much of the exit from board #5 onto the transfer board - though the traverser remains in place for now as KB is going out to Manchester in December. The bridge will be removable for exhibition use.

Here’s some initial steps……..

Before

IMG_8094.jpeg.51d1064a464d9a7cbc7bb28b56f30e6a.jpegStart

IMG_8097.jpeg.acb9af270d4526e754606ffc652d9a7d.jpeg

Progress 

IMG_8112.jpeg.deb5e4a877cba14ba5e1823082483c7b.jpeg

Edited by Bob Hordern
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Manchester MRS Christmas Show Dec 9th and 10th

Kirtley Bridge went to this exhibition over the weekend where we braved the rain, traffic and bus lanes to get into Central Manchester. The Sugden Sports Centre off Oxford Street is the new venue and unloading/parking was shall we say interesting. 

On the Friday afternoon Jim and I set up Kirtley Bridge. Next we checked into our hotel and found a Weatherspoons. The food was good enough for two hungry operators. After breakfast on Saturday we returned to the venue to run the layout with Norman arriving by rail. Things went pretty well. Jim and I came home eastwards to avoid the Old Trafford traffic in pretty horrible weather. 

Sunday was a better day and Nick, Andy and I returned to fire up KB. A repair in the traverser board quickly improved operations there and we got underway again. It was just as busy as Saturday. Packing up was not as challenging as I expected and we got away after 6pm before the wet weather returned for the journey home via M602 this time.

The Show was enjoyable and well organised and we got a bit of time to see some really good layouts, meet a few old colleagues and even buy the odd Christmas present. This was a good trip with lots of folk complimenting us on the layout, asking questions and even having a quick ‘drive’ of a train.

The icing on the cake came at the end when operators were invited into Hall C for the prize giving. Kirtley Bridge actually won the best in show award – “The Visitors’ Cup”  – voted for by MMRS members. 

My enormous thanks go to the team for enabling me to manage and operate KB. I know it a can be hard work but it also has its rewards.

IMG_8210.JPG.265b8073fc610000266e06adbef9795c.JPG

sat.jpg

IMG_8215.JPG

IMG_8212.JPG

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 11

• 1 month later...

Work now taking place on the transfer board that connects Kirtley Bridge to Lofthouse. Just trying out basic scenery options so far.

IMG_8301.jpeg.8b5649dfa99aaee3b1c94463bad88f86.jpeg

IMG_8314.jpeg.c8cb9c564dcb19b18b5bbaef297424bc.jpeg

Edited by Bob Hordern
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Lovely stuff Bob.

Is there any chance that Kirtley Bridge might be travelling "Down South" anytime soon?  Or have I missed it?

All the best,

Dave.

Thanks Dave.

I have very few bookings this year and they are mostly 'up North'.

I have more coming in 2025 but I do find driving long distances tiring these days. 

We'll have to see how we get on 😎

• Friendly/supportive 1

Here’s the full context of the connecting up of the two layouts.
The viaduct links the reservoir board (Lofthouse) on the left and the transfer board (Kirtley Bridge) on the right - now I have two ‘districts’, one layout!

IMG_8343.jpeg.8c7ea4c9cc3a45e1baae33438cfeb335.jpeg

Edited by Bob Hordern
  • Like 10

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...