Bachmann LNER Fish Wagon

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

Recently I purchased an LNER Fish wagon 38-575A

As I use DCC with train tracking I always remove the wheelsets to add a resistor and check the back to backs before putting it on the layout.

Unfortunately this wagon is different to others I have as there are wire loops close behind the wheels which stop the wheelset being removed

a) Has anybody removed & refitted them, if so was there any problem doing it?

b) What do they represent on the prototype?

I could really do with removing the temporarily.

EDIT picture uploaded:

1028499768_fish2.jpg.af45497d47f82d15dd471972152f66b8.jpg

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

(b) They represent the safety loops to catch the clasp brake yokes should the brakes become detached from their hangers. Rather a fancy bit of detail for a RTR wagon, especially as the yokes themselves appear to be absent, on the photos I've looked at.

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

(b) They represent the safety loops to catch the clasp brake yokes should the brakes become detached from their hangers. Rather a fancy bit of detail for a RTR wagon, especially as the yokes themselves appear to be absent, on the photos I've looked at.

Thanks for that.

I did attach a photo but it seems to have vanished!

I'll go back and give it another try.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Simply snip them adjacent the axle to allow the wheelset out and back in , not visible with the vehicle on track.

That sounds like the way to go, these later wagons are much less friendly for bodging!

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, 45125 said:

The safety loops just pull out...........

No they don't.

I've tried that, seem to be well glued in. Iwas worried if I pulled any harder something might give.

Maybe yours weren't glued at all?

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, micklner said:

I pull one side of each axle out above the axle guard, you can then remove the screws holding the body , if that's is what you are trying to do ?

I'm trying to remove the wheelsets to adjust B2B and fit a SMD resistor for block detection.

I have now managed to get the hoops off, they were really stuck fast and it felt like I was pulling on something that wasn't going to budge but they eventually gave.

That has allowed me to do what I wanted.

• Like 1