Wagon identification required

• RMweb Premium

Hi

Can anyone tell me what diagram the white tank wagon is in the linked photo.

76040 Woodhead 1Jun77

(David Hayes on Flickr)

I think it looks like E202 but I'm not 100% sure.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus

• RMweb Gold

I would concur with the comments on the Flickr site about it being the 8E67 bound for Whitemoor/Harwich, it seems to have the continental vans visible further back, which, along with the tank mentioned, would go across the North Sea on a train ferry. From memory, re-engined at Rotherwood and didn't go through Tinsley Yard.

Mike.

So this is a continental wagon. My late father told of a "German" tank wagon that made monthly visits to Hickson ,& Welch in Castleford in the late 1970s. This was probably the final rail traffic to the site.

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, doilum said:

So this is a continental wagon. My late father told of a "German" tank wagon that made monthly visits to Hickson ,& Welch in Castleford in the late 1970s. This was probably the final rail traffic to the site.

Depends on your interpretation of a continental wagon.

My understanding is that wagons in the "E" diagrams were British built, generally to continental, (ferry generally), standards for trans European travel, but there were "real" continental wagons built by foreign railway undertakings which ran in this country.

Mike.

5 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

My understanding is that wagons in the "E" diagrams were British built, generally to continental, (ferry generally), standards for trans European travel, but there were "real" continental wagons built by foreign railway undertakings which ran in this country.

Mike.

Mike

No there were hundreds of different diagrams and Britain built and/or registered very few of them. The German block is amazingly varied. - look at https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/ferrywagons

E202/647 say they are air braked with through vac pipe.

Diagram books available on http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/Prototype.html

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

The 'E' diagrams covered both UK and mainland-registered wagons. Have a look on here:-

http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/Book_01_Issue.pdf

and the other two books of internationally-registered wagons.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

According to the book the wagons were German built/registered by VTG, Hamburg. Originally dual braked but later some became air braked and vacuum through piped. Hence the two different diagram numbers.