RMweb

For those interested in "Modern Classic" Cars

Hobby

The Australian Leyland P76 often referred to as the P38, only half the car it was meant to be. When customers took their P76 in for warranty work which was quite often it was often quicker just to tell the dealer what wasn't wrong with the car. This was the car that could carry a 44 gallon drum in it's boot, an empty drum that is because there's no way an owner could have gotten a full drum in or out of the boot and the car probably wouldn't be able to carry a full drum. A friend of my dad once said that the car could have been very good but it was let down by the "bolta onners and putta togethers. The whole project was backed by an imploding Leyland Australia.

34 minutes ago, Hobby said:

I take it fuel is not expensive over in Aus land...

The fuel price is $1.40c per litre for 91RON petrol and diesel is around $1.25c per litre. In my local area Tuesday is the best day to buy fuel as petrol stations "servos" discount the fuel on a weekly basis. So on Wednesday it goes back to full price and by the following Tuesday it's dropped by about 10c per litre. If the Aussie dollar is down against the American Greenback then fuel is more expensive here and when it's up it's cheaper. I filled my own car yesterday with 98RON at $1.48 per litre.

Whereas in the UK electric cars are becoming more numerous, here the uptake is much lower mainly due to the charging infrastructure not keeping pace and the fact that full EV's are very expensive. In the country charging points are few and far between so fossil fueled cars are a safer bet and as our distances are so vast full EV's aren't viable here yet. If you only drive round town then an EV is viable but for long distance driving it's a fossil fuel car only. Also here if you buy a secondhand EV you have to buy a battery pack new or reconditioned for it's illegal to sell an EV onto the secondhand market with a battery pack in it. I have no idea why it's illegal so please don't ask. So in English pounds 91RON is about 70p per litre and 98 RON is around 75p per litre. Oddly enough the price of our fuel is not governed by the American West Texas crude but by Tapis crude which comes from Singapore.

Edited by faulcon1
  • Like 1

85p litre, so it is cheap! (Assuming you were quoting Aussy dollars!)  was it even cheaper back in the days they had 6cyl Marinas?! I love that option, though not the coupe version which I always felt was the ugliest version! 

Edited by Hobby

15 minutes ago, Hobby said:

85p litre, so it is cheap! (Assuming you were quoting Aussy dollars!)  was it even cheaper back in the days they had 6cyl Marinas?! I love that option, though not the coupe version which I always felt was the ugliest version! 

When I started driving in the late 70's super leaded petrol was 28c per litre so around 14p per litre. Oddly enough at the time we thought it was expensive.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, faulcon1 said:

HubNut testing two Australian Leyland Marinas

Ha ha the Leyland Marina!  A bloke I went to Granville Tech with in 1982 had a baby blue one and we discovered that the key to my Toranas locking petrol cap would open the door and start it.

He used to hate being held back late at class because whenever he was he'd dash down afterwards to the carpark to find us either doing circle work in it  or finding it abandoned in the middle of the major intersection with Woodville road with a long queue of cars full of sweary drivers waiting for him  to retrieve  it.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Funny 2

34 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Ha ha the Leyland Marina!  A bloke I went to Granville Tech with in 1982 had a baby blue one and we discovered that the key to my Toranas locking petrol cap would open the door and start it.

He used to hate being held back late at class because whenever he was he'd dash down afterwards to the carpark to find us either doing circle work in it  or finding it abandoned in the middle of the major intersection with Woodville road with a long queue of cars full of sweary drivers waiting for him  to retrieve  it.

There was one in a local car dealer a 4 door in a mustard colour.

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, faulcon1 said:

Here's a Ford car with a slightly familiar front end or maybe not.

when I went to Perth WA in 1996 to visit family my cousin had a Ford Falcon like that also a Holden Gemini (Vauxhall chevette)

10 hours ago, faulcon1 said:

Also from the same man is the filming locations for the film Malcolm.

Not sure if Malcolm was that well known outside Australia but if you haven't seen it it is well worth a look.

Its a pretty charming 1980's vintage movie about a bloke whos apparently a bit on the spectrum who's life is trams.

Lots of tram stuff, including  an impressive model tram layout in his house. 

Plot line - think "The Italian Job" but with trams. 

I know you lot in the UK are busy going out all the time at the moment so probably don't have the time to spend at home looking for something to do but if you have a spare hour or so then its on youtube. I found this copy, there might be better ones.

4 hours ago, big jim said:

when I went to Perth WA in 1996 to visit family my cousin had a Ford Falcon like that also a Holden Gemini (Vauxhall chevette)

Looked a bit plain Jane and boxy when first released when compared to their predecessors but they were released in the dying days of the era  when you would buy a Ford or you would buy a Holden because that was what your family did.  (Unless you were a "New Australian" in which case you bought a Valiant (Chrysler)).

They were pretty much ubiquitous here during their heyday. From police pursuit cars (V8s) to taxis (inline 6), to the one that your  uncle-who-had-done-very-well-for-himself  would turn up to family gatherings in - the Fairmont Ghia.

The 6 was a good engine, and I'm a Holden guy - it hung around in some form or another from the late 60's until at least 2010. Not sure if its still being used, not interested in  Ford products once they dropped the V8. 

Edited by monkeysarefun

• RMweb Premium

Modernish cars, I own a British 4x4 and the most unreliable parts are not from them but from NIppon Denso.

Aircon compressor, starter motor.

Or VDO

Fuel pump

But not from Solihull

1 hour ago, MJI said:

Modernish cars, I own a British 4x4 and the most unreliable parts are not from them but from NIppon Denso.

Aircon compressor, starter motor.

Or VDO

Fuel pump

But not from Solihull

Landrover? They do have a certain reputation but I have to say that the most common 4x4 I see around here pulled over with the bonnet up (especially on 40 plus days) would be 10 to 20 year old Mitsubishis. 

Owners always have that "I guess I'm looking at an engine but I don't have a clue what bit might be broken!" look as they stare  forlornly into the engine bay. 

Landrover and Landcruiser guys at least usually have the  toolkit out. 

Ae you my dad posting these!?  He had a Wolseley in 1971, I was impressed by  the little Wolsely sign in the grill that lit up, but I was only 8 so thats excusable.

He  traded it in around 1973 or something for a .....

Toyota Crown.

There were two kinds of Crowns here, the locally made one and the fancy one imported from Japan. Dad had the fancy one and would only wave to other fancy ones, the locally made ones (identifiable because the Japanese ones had vertical bars on the grill, the local ones were horizontal. Or maybe it was the other way around.) he ignored.

The one in the video was the later model called the "Cheshire Cat one" because apparently the grill looked like the Cheshire cat or something.  The next door neighbour, amazed at my dads Crown because it had power steering while his XA Falcon didn't, bought a Cheshire cat one, but my dad never waved at him either because again, it was made in Adelaide, not Tokyo.

I know far too much about Toyota Crowns.