The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

brianusa

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Reorte said:

But never to words like "get off!", "stop that!" or "leave that alone!"

One time when I fell off my bike when I was a kid our cat, who normally didn't pay all that much attention to anyone, came up to me and started meowing quite a bit. They at least appear capable of recognising distress.

Cats also appear to like companionship although there probably is a danger of looking at their behaviour through too much of a human perspective there. It's especially noticeable if I'm in the garden, mine will often hang around in the same general area that I'm in.

I think the idea that they are solitary animals has been debunked - they certainly need their space, but they do like companionship too. They're somewhat more choosy as to who is allowed in their social group however, and cat politics are even more incomprehensible than human politics...

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Big James said:

The difference between a Borg and a dark is the daleks still have individual personalities hence why they get promoted etc. The Borg on the other hand all personality is stripped away and all they care about is the good of the collective. Which is what I feel like this is like. 

Big James

But the early concept of the Borg was altered with the introduction to the fiction of the Borg Queen as the leader of the hive.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, luckymucklebackit said:

But the early concept of the Borg was altered with the introduction to the fiction of the Borg Queen as the leader of the hive.

Dr Who has often changed the rules. Take for example the TARDIS. Even its weight can vary considerably, in some episodes a small group of humanlike characters can move it, others it weighs many millions of tons!

Not to mention, now it can now be attacked, whereas for years, noone inside could be harmed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TARDIS#Vulnerability

Then there is the livery (a common model railway interest to get back on topic!), where it has been graffitied with 'Bad Wolf', surely no self respecting TARDIS should allow that? It should be invisible to those that want to disfigure it!

OK, I'll go and lay down now.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Doing so produced an identifiable villain for the film First Contact but as a concept the Borg Queen didn't really work.

• Agree 1

I always assumed the Borg Queen was just a central node that processed the thoughts and goals of the collective. But I do think she ruined the concept of the Borg before voyager dealt them a death blow. I preferred the idea of locutus of Borg to the Borg Queen. 

Big james 

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
On 24/05/2019 at 10:41, Nick C said:

I think the idea that they are solitary animals has been debunked - they certainly need their space, but they do like companionship too. They're somewhat more choosy as to who is allowed in their social group however, and cat politics are even more incomprehensible than human politics...

I'm not so sure if "solitary" wrt domestic cats can be applied as easily as with canines Nick. Lions are the only felines in the wild that necessarily teamwork for survival. Canines seem to absolutely need to be pack based. (perhaps foxes being an exception.) 

I have no back-up research or proof beyond what I've experienced, but I had heard that (and concur), female domestic cats at least will alternatively display mother or kitten behaviour to their human companion of choice.

The kitten elements being;

Kneading with claws, to make you lactate. 

"Plaintive" speech, give me food. 

Hunting play.

The mothering elements;

Look! My tummy, I trust you.

Scent application. 

I've killed this for you.

Grooming.

Hunting play, claws retracted, no bite pressure. 

How Tom's behave however is outside my knowledge, snipped or otherwise, I've just always preferred the demeanor of the female cat. Maybe they are "hardwired" with certain behavioral elements, but I've enjoyed the company of every one. I just hope it's reciprocal!

C6T. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I like the female voice on my GPS. It's always telling me which way to go. On my return trips from the Isle of Wight to Wales, I'll always go the alternative route; A34, or A36. The little voice would screech at me:- "Turn around where possible". 

It's now got a new instruction.... "Sod you, find your own way!"

• Like 1