The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

brianusa

Have we gone too far?

From the Beeb:  "A group of linguists, technologists and sound designers are experimenting with a genderless digital voice, made from real voices and called Q"

How much further do we have to go to neuter the whole population?  A woman's voice is much more easy to understand than the basso male and what this has to do with gender discrimination is ridiculous as is most of this movement.

Brian

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

13 hours ago, brianusa said:

Have we gone too far?

From the Beeb:  "A group of linguists, technologists and sound designers are experimenting with a genderless digital voice, made from real voices and called Q"

How much further do we have to go to neuter the whole population?  A woman's voice is much more easy to understand than the basso male and what this has to do with gender discrimination is ridiculous as is most of this movement.

Brian

Wait a minute - I thought this was Q, nasty piece of work too...

Q-John-de-Lancie.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Wait a minute - I thought this was Q, nasty piece of work too...

Q-John-de-Lancie.jpg

Actually I quite like Q, he introduces the various Captains to all sorts of potential threats to the Federation, in advance. Sure he's a PITA as to his methods. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Don't see the reasoning for that remark .

It clearly says UN , and complaining about gender bias .

It occured to me that Britain is more concerned about crazy reports and regulations coming from EU, hence some Britons wanting to leave the EU. I think a 'no gender' voice, is ridiculous.

But I'd better not say more, otherwise I'll be crossing the 'no politics' rule - again!

The debate about what an artificial voice should sound like is arguably older than voice synthesis itself.  The best pop culture reference is the voice of the HAL 9000  (with Douglas Rain's very precise diction) but we had SciFi 'robot' voices long before that - think Robby from "Forbidden Planet".

We can all agree that as much as we might admire the late Stephen Hawking, we wouldn't want to listen to a synthetic voice that sounded like his voice synthesizer.

A synthetic voice is different to the vocabulary of existing Satnavs which largely consists of pre-recorded phrases and place-names.

There is a school of thought that synthetic voices shouldn't sound precisely realistic. Apple made Siri sound deliberately 'altered' (or at least that's how they marketed Siri).  (Perhaps it's possible that the slightly strange sounding Siri was the best they could do at the time and they put lipstick on a pig. I have no way of knowing.)

The idea of creating an androgynous voice fits in with this line of thinking - with the added advantage of not perpetuating the 'feminine as servant' motif.

It's not just phones or Amazon Alexa either. Voice activated systems are in production in automobiles - "Hey BMW" etc. Like it or not they will soon be everywhere - vending machines (or really any ordering point for literally anything, including telesales, fast food, the telephone handling system at your bank, insurer, whatever). 

We're going to be listening to these devices (whether we want to or not). The idea of what they will sound like is culturally relevant.

Perhaps the answer will be that people can choose the 'personality' they prefer. (I'm feeling some HHGTTG references coming on ...

"Now with Genuine People Personality" and "Share and enjoy".

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

We're going to be listening to these devices (whether we want to or not). The idea of what they will sound like is culturally relevant.

From a cultural point of view a culture that claims to have got past issues such as "woman as servant" still has issues if it cares what the voice sounds like.

From a practical point of view it's already been pointed out that female-sounding voices are often easier to hear clearly.

There's also an aesthetic point of view, just what do people prefer hearing?

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Reorte said:

... a culture that claims to have got past issues such as "woman as servant"

Have we?

I think that is the point.

I do think that for the appliances we own, alternative 'voices' will be offered - much like they are for Satnavs in multiple languages. I can see institutions like a bank or the government choosing a neutral voice.

Again Douglas Adams is wickedly prescient here.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

When the bank wants my money to settle the credit card account, they use an authoritative male voice...

4 minutes ago, Reorte said:

...There's also an aesthetic point of view, just what do people prefer hearing?

A good voice production, well paced and modulated. And there's a lot to be said for a form of 'Received Pronunciation' and a defined vocabulary for messages that may be heard by any user of the language, and need to be quickly comprehended, especially against competing intruding noise.

But not quite going as far as Seaspeak...

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Have we?

I think that is the point.

Clearly we haven't, and I regard this sort of thing as a clear indication of that, and thus a little depressing, particularly since it sounds like that's the motive. Progress on this front isn't about remove difference - or "embracing" it (whatever that means if it's not just about liking variety), it's about not caring about it, so I just end up regarding trying to find an androgynous voice as a sign someone is still looking at the world with that them vs us outlook.

Compared with Douglas Rain in 2001, A Space Odyssey?  I don't think that is true. I'd be interested in seeing research results.

On average, maybe. I was just repeating something from upthread that sounded plausible (no play with "sounded" please!). I agree it would be interesting to see results.

Again Douglas Adams is wickedly prescient here.

Is the money on Amazon or Google or Apple to rename themselves to Sirius Cybernetics?

Edited by Reorte
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The debate about what an artificial voice should sound like is arguably older than voice synthesis itself.  The best pop culture reference is the voice of the HAL 9000  (with Douglas Rain's very precise diction) but we had SciFi 'robot' voices long before that - think Robby from "Forbidden Planet".

HAL's speech is certainly a go-to reference for an AI/human interface. Some year's on though and pertinent to the discussion was "Joshua" in War Games. Now that was a proprietary available squawk box. But the voice and interplay between Joshua and humanity was chilling. As well as being piercing satire on the futility of nuclear warfare, natch. 

A film I haven’t seen for some years is 2001's sequel, 2010. I seem to recall they reboot HAL and find out 'he' was lied to, a concept his logic couldn't comprehend?

C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T
  • Like 1

Reorte will know what I'm on about but isn't the tech already installed that in a consumer society, can we not specify which voice we'd like in the first place, and give "resting between jobs" thesp's some additional income to boot? 

Female choice:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Hillis

Male choice:

https://www.eliastoufexis.com/

Though I'm aware we're specifically talking about generated speech and not sampled or stitched phrases, perhaps that technology is still some time away.

C6T. 

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Voice activated systems are in production in automobiles - "Hey BMW" etc. Like it or not they will soon be everywhere - vending machines (or really any ordering point for literally anything, including telesales, fast food, the telephone handling system at your bank, insurer, whatever). 

I can assure you I won't be talking to any machine - if it ain't got a button or switch to work it then it ain't getting operated !! 

I avoid speaking as much as possible as it is unless absolutely necessary, one of my Aspie traits, I don't feel the need to communicate verbally but have to sometimes unfortunately.

Paul 

• Friendly/supportive 2

6 minutes ago, Sprintex said:

I can assure you I won't be talking to any machine - if it ain't got a button or switch to work it then it ain't getting operated !! 

I avoid speaking as much as possible as it is unless absolutely necessary, one of my Aspie traits, I don't feel the need to communicate verbally but have to sometimes unfortunately.

Paul 

That's a fascinating viewpoint Paul, whilst I respect your pov, I'm of the opinion language (and communication) itself is a marvellous thing and is possibly unique to us as a species separating us from our faeces flinging cousins that don't have the benefit of opposable thumbs.

International foreign policy however suggests, we aren't that far removed from still picking fleas off those we hold dear...sigh.

I do get hully riled at being informed there's an unknown item in the bagging area though. 

C6T. 

• RMweb Premium

If those gadgets had come out with only men's voices they would have been complaining that women were being ignored.. 

• Agree 5

46 minutes ago, Sprintex said:

I don't feel the need to communicate verbally but have to sometimes unfortunately.

The good news there is that there are many non-vocal web interfaces which do not require a voice component.

Vocal interfaces offer a 'hands-free' approach which is convenient and natural for most people, and important in safety critical applications. Eye and gesture movement tracking can offer 'hands-free' capabilities that are non vocal.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1