Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Chernobyl (TV Series and Discussion)

Sir TophamHatt

• RMweb Premium

Agreed, it didn’t pretend to be a scholarly piece. It’s also called “Ben Fogle in…”, so it’s not surprising it’s a bit of a vehicle for him. It’s also Channel 5. 

I thought the Sky mini-series was sensational, the final episode in the courtroom, describing the unfolding was absolutely stellar. Will watch the Ben Fogle show (I won’t call it a documentary!) as I like him. 

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, njee20 said:

Agreed, it didn’t pretend to be a scholarly piece. It’s also called “Ben Fogle in…”, so it’s not surprising it’s a bit of a vehicle for him. It’s also Channel 5. 

I thought the Sky mini-series was sensational, the final episode in the courtroom, describing the unfolding was absolutely stellar. Will watch the Ben Fogle show (I won’t call it a documentary!) as I like him. 

To be fair so do I. Perhaps that's why I was so disappointed.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, spamcan61 said:

Future generations (or anybody else for that matter) shouldn't be using mainstream TV entertainment as reference sources for factual information.

Maybe not for factual sources (at least not entirely, when others exist), but they will do when looking at society overall at a given time.

For me the Ben Fogle programme was more akin to Judith Chalmers and "Wish You Were Here?" than an in-depth documentary on what went wrong.  Nothing wrong with that, as it conveys a little of what it's like to go there as a tourist, and to be able to go beyond what is normally accessible.  For those of us who are just plain curious about Ground Zero, it gave us a picture of the conditions.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

I watched it yesterday.

Not bad, some footage / understanding I haven't seen before like under the New Containment structure.

I wouldn't say it's factual (although it is), but more entertainment than documentary.

There was a very good documentary about the building of the new containment structure about a year or so ago.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, doilum said:

There was a very good documentary about the building of the new containment structure about a year or so ago.

I think that was on the TV over 2 years ago.

I watched the Ben Foggle program yesterday, I still find it unsetteling to watch, but there where things that alamed me is that those people are stealing items or gaining entry to the exclusions zone by illegal means rather disturbing, as the people have no understanding of the health implications on there health in the long term.

I can understand that the military and the police have a huge area to cover, but the thirll seekers should be handed bigger fines or locked up. 

Terry