Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Chernobyl (TV Series and Discussion)

Sir TophamHatt

I have episode 5 to watch tonight but wow!

I can see why it's raced to the top of the top of IMDB's top 100 TV series list.

It's on Sky and Now TV (as far as I know).

Despite the radiation, I'm tempted to book a flight / go by train to a proper tour of Pripyat.

You can spend a bit of time there with no ill effects?

Anyone else been?

• RMweb Gold

I have watched up to the end of episode 4.  I have always had an interest in this event, and I can't praise all involved enough for how this has been portrayed. The acting, script and sense of time and place is really something else.

It is fascinating and harrowing in equal amounts, and in one episode I had to stop and take a break until the next day as the subject matter was so intense. (Without wanting to spoil anything for anyone, the events surrounding the control of "wildlife", and the reactions of the men charged with the task, was particularly difficult to do deal with. As were some hospital scenes.)

I haven't been, but I confess the only reason I would want to, is to observe first hand how nature has reclaimed the area to great effect.

Incidentally, there is a rendition of Pripyat in the videogame Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.

Thanks for starting a thread.

Best

Scott

PS: FYI Now TV is owned by Sky. It's their option for non-dish households I think, although they don't brand it openly as sky.

Edited by scottystitch
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

...Despite the radiation, I'm tempted to book a flight / go by train to a proper tour of Pripyat.

You can spend a bit of time there with no ill effects?...

You increase your risk level of certain cancers to some small degree. I would check with your GP whether there are existing risk factors personal to you, based on your own and your family's history. And you must reconcile yourself to a tiny probability of just being unlucky. (For example, someone goes rorting past in a highly contaminated zone, you inhale some dust in which is a little plutonium or similar.)

Then again, you could go somewhere 'perfectly safe' and look the wrong way and get hit by vehicle while attempting to cross the road. That'll be a bigger risk to your immediate health in Pripyat, just as much as anywhere else where people were misguided enough to take up Bonaparte's silly idea of driving on the wrong side of the road.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I've been watching too and in my view it's been one of the most enjoyable programmes (although of course the subject matter is both frightening and captivating at the same time) on TV for a long while.

Well scripted, acted and realistic.

Very sobering viewing when you consider the implications of the event, the aftermath and the impact on the environment and peoples lives. 

I'll pass on wanting to visit though - probably for around 20,000 years if the scientific reports are accurate. 

Edited by 4630
to correct fat finger syndrome.
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Utterly captivated by the series - I'd say I 'enjoyed' it, but it's not an enjoyable subject. High drama, some properly intense and heart stopping moments. And some less-than subtle digs and comparisons with today's 'fake news'/'spin' culture and it's impact on real lives.

They played a little fast and lose with one or two specific incidents*, but at the same time cleared up a number of long-standing erroneous myths and urban legends about the accident and clean-up.

Can't say I'd rush to re-watch it, but I'd certainly buy the DVD/BR for the collection.

*the helicopter crash occurred much later, during the 'Sarcophagus' build.

A friend of mine recently spent a day on a Pripyat guided tour - they were warned to pay attention to radiation signage and to not pick-up things from the ground without the guide checking them first with a geiger counter!

Edited by CloggyDog

• RMweb Gold

I'd agree, I couldn't ever say that I "enjoyed it" (or am enjoying it), but it's well made, and captivating. The acting really is first class. I'm glad it was made.

The interaction between Legasov and Shcherbina, and how it develops from open hostility and contempt ( on one side at least) to one of respect and a "we're in this same boat together" position, is so well developed.

I'd say it was an emotional rollercoaster, but rollercoasters need highs, and whilst there are one or two moments of emotional relief, there are no highs......

It's a very profound programme.

I have watched every episode and given that there may be some artistic licence I could not fail to be impressed by sacrifice of individuals who knew the risks and did their jobs knowing their future would be bleak and short. Some intense moments in the series and the make up artists excelled.  

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

You increase your risk level of certain cancers to some small degree. I would check with your GP whether there are existing risk factors personal to you, based on your own and your family's history. And you must reconcile yourself to a tiny probability of just being unlucky. (For example, someone goes rorting past in a highly contaminated zone, you inhale some dust in which is a little plutonium or similar.)

Then again, you could go somewhere 'perfectly safe' and look the wrong way and get hit by vehicle while attempting to cross the road. That'll be a bigger risk to your immediate health in Pripyat, just as much as anywhere else where people were misguided enough to take up Bonaparte's silly idea of driving on the wrong side of the road.

There was an interesting piece on the BBC's website a little while back about the levels and locations of the hotspots and life within the exclusion zone. Visitor won't be allowed near the hotspots so the risk of breathing in disturbed contaminated dust should be very small.

• RMweb Premium

I have watched all 5 programs. As I have always be fascinated by this incident and what happened to the people from that area.

I shall have to wait and see if there is going to be a DVD done.

The down side is that the clean up is going to on going even after my death.

Terry

21 hours ago, woodenhead said:

UK has a few as well. You can see Sellafield from Ravenglass train station. Never been through there myself, but the fact that I’m using a train that has gone through the area must mean I’ve been exposed to a few more rays than if I had stayed away...

For the record, I’m not being an alarmist here. Buildings B30 and B38 are considered to be the most polluted and dangerous buildings in Europe (Chernobyl included) and there have been more than a few accidental leaks of deuterium and lord knows what else, and that’s before you take into account the fire at Winscale.

still, I’m going back to ravenglass this year. So go figure :)

to return to the series at hand, Chernobyl is a superb rendition of what happened. There are decisions made to emphasise drama, but generally it is spot on - it was nice to see the miners get a proper mention as well. Their efforts have gone almost totally unnoticed in the past

Edited by Edge
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, raymw said:

I've not seen this series, but some years ago I found this young lady's web site, well worth a look http://www.kiddofspeed.com

It's an interesting read, to be sure, but I've read elsewhere on the web that it would be wise to take a lot of the personal stuff with a pinch of salt. Still good photos though.

• 1 year later...

For those of us who watched the Sky mini-series (on DVD for me), you may be interested in a programme shown on Channel 5 yesterday evening (and available on "My 5" catch-up).

Ben Fogle visits Pripyat and visits inside the infamous Control Room 4 and inside the steel casing of the reactor.

What I found fascinating is how realistic the recreations and depictions were in the Sky mini-series and how chilling was the reality.

• Informative/Useful 1

22 hours ago, EddieB said:

For those of us who watched the Sky mini-series (on DVD for me), you may be interested in a programme shown on Channel 5 yesterday evening (and available on "My 5" catch-up).

Ben Fogle visits Pripyat and visits inside the infamous Control Room 4 and inside the steel casing of the reactor.

What I found fascinating is how realistic the recreations and depictions were in the Sky mini-series and how chilling was the reality.

Less than impressed with the Ben Fogle programme. Careless journalism makes for dangerous history if this becomes a key source of information for future generations. Very similar to many of the " railway histories," on TV. The dramatisation shown on sky last year was very good as was the documentary that fact checked it.

Edited by doilum
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, doilum said:

Less than impressed with the Ben Fogle programme. Careless journalism makes for dangerous history if this becomes a key source of information for future generations. Very similar to many of the " railway histories," on TV. The dramatisation shown on sky last year was very good as was the documentary that fact checked it.

Sadly, like far too many documentaries these days, it looked a bit like "The Ben Fogle Show in Pripyat".

A Ukranian firm called ICM does a series of vehicle and figure kits in 1/35th related to the Chernobyl disaster.

image.png.88c127d61736fa2d0cc9df28bcc0d450.png

image.png.702a5c19099e12ecb2ef526309f486b6.png

jch

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, doilum said:

Less than impressed with the Ben Fogle programme. Careless journalism makes for dangerous history if this becomes a key source of information for future generations.

What was wrong with it? I watched it the other night, I don't however know enough in-depth detail to be able to know where it was at fault.

29 minutes ago, 57xx said:

What was wrong with it? I watched it the other night, I don't however know enough in-depth detail to be able to know where it was at fault.

Pretty much everything. A very shallow high speed dash with the journalistic integrity of " escape to the country".

Specifics?

An approximate quote: " in 1986 nuclear power was in its infancy" Britain's first nuclear power station was on stream in the late 1950s and by the 80s France was producing most of its electricity in nuclear power stations.

By 1986 we had already had incidents at Windscale and Three Mile Island and those are the ones we know about. A far more balanced view of the challenges and achievements of the former Soviet Union is required by future students. 

The overcooked jeopardy facing our intrepid presenter did the programme no favours. We had some interesting interviews and perhaps this is what the programme makers should have focused on. Personally, I would like an Attenborough standard look at the wildlife and ecological recovery taking place but that doesn't fit with the expected post cold war and milestone on the road to hell in a hand cart narrative.  Perhaps part two will be better!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, doilum said:

Less than impressed with the Ben Fogle programme. Careless journalism makes for dangerous history if this becomes a key source of information for future generations.

Future generations (or anybody else for that matter) shouldn't be using mainstream TV entertainment as reference sources for factual information.

• Agree 3

16 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

Future generations (or anybody else for that matter) shouldn't be using mainstream TV entertainment as reference sources for factual information.

Agreed. But for many viewers this will be what shapes their perception of the incident and theythen pass that on to their children. Hopefully the progamme will be enjoyed by some and quickly lost to posterity. What if however, it is rediscovered in 100 years time and is celebrated as a close secondary source. The significance of mainstream tv should not be underestimated , after all how much of our knowledge of the Tudors was shaped by Shakespeare and Glenda Jackson.

15 minutes ago, spamcan61 said: