Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

12v dc smoother

I think I'd want to put a bridge rectifier, a big capacitor and a voltage regulator between a DCC bus and anything requiring a smoothed 12V DC supply. Plenty of circuit diagrams on the web for suitable arrangements. Or maybe an appropriate accessory decoder.

1 hour ago, Junctionmad said:

You don’t need a big capacitor because the frequency is high and it’s a square wave 

in fact you don’t need one at all really 

Well, no, but they're cheap and won't do any harm, and give you what is, in effect, a universal smoothed 12V supply, rather than one tied to a particular power source. 

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Why not just buy a small 12v supply and forget the DCC bus altogether?

Or that. Probably the most sensible approach. 

The OP may not want to have either another 230Vac connection and power supply involved - especially if transporting to shows etc.

But an overriding consideration should be how essential is it for the 12Vdc to remain available when the track dcc is removed by either a short circuit or during programming etc ???   If that is not a concern, and the additional load in the dcc bus is low, then a small conversion module for local-conversion on the specific board of the destination product is to be recommended -  similar ready-built modules are available for 5V /USB outputs which can power other useful little gadgets and animations.

My preference is for the animations and other devices to continue independently of the dcc track/accessory signal wherever possible - so that they continue to operate and entertain whilst any problem on the dcc is resolved.  I DO therefore have a 12Vdc bus for laout lighting and effects (6A !) from which I use modules to give me a local 5V where needed.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Phil S said:

My preference is for the animations and other devices to continue independently of the dcc track/accessory signal wherever possible - so that they continue to operate and entertain whilst any problem on the dcc is resolved.  I DO therefore have a 12Vdc bus for laout lighting and effects (6A !) from which I use modules to give me a local 5V where needed.

I have a DCC track bus, a DCC accessory bus & a 15v 6A AC bus (some accessory modules use 15v AC)

It should be pointed out, if you derive a power source from the DCC rails and rectify it , you get a “ local gnd “ that is not generally compatible with other Gnds on the layout. 

Ie , deriving a supply from the dcc track to power a few platform lights is entirely practical and you don’t really mind the lights going off on a track short circuit 

but where you might be interconnecting grounds ( or OV) you need to be careful you know what you are doing 

Dave 

Edited by Junctionmad
  • Agree 1