Midland in Tewkesbury

Tricky

• 2 weeks later...

'I don’t think earth and shrubbery would have been allowed to bank up against the mill wall in this way. Any opinions?'

Places were sometimes overgrown in the past, not everywhere was neat and tidy. This is Stiffkey bridge, Norfolk, photo taken in 1939, my collection (photographer unknown).

Stiffkey Bridge, 1939

Edited by Michael Crofts
Forgot to include quote
  • Like 9

4 hours ago, Michael Crofts said:

'I don’t think earth and shrubbery would have been allowed to bank up against the mill wall in this way. Any opinions?'

Places were sometimes overgrown in the past, not everywhere was neat and tidy. This is Stiffkey bridge, Norfolk, photo taken in 1939, my collection (photographer unknown).

Stiffkey Bridge, 1939

Thanks - that’s a super photo and really good colour too for 1939. I’m committed now with the shrubbery so it stays!! The other option might be to move the mill…?! 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Chrisbr said:

Love the bollards and other details bringing this to life, but can't help but feel the loading platform should be wider to enable the cast iron brackets to sit underneath supporting the girder structure.....

Yes….you are indeed telling me what I really already knew! I may replace the wooden boarding with a brick arch and then under-sling the brackets. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve been quietly footling away on these two coaches. They will form a purely fictitious workmen’s train trundling off to scene to some imaginary industry. They are Alphagraphix kits with some CPL added details. I hope to weather them in the style of ancient coaches given a last lease of life before finally falling apart. I have a Man I h Wardle under construction and will be based on ‘Bauxite No2’ at the NRM. 

IMG_3117.jpeg.0352baee1ffb65ec326804cb17603603.jpeg

IMG_3118.jpeg.1f781ab634d5a082dd6457870a5b5584.jpeg

• Like 15

The footling continues….a bit of weathering coming along. I’m waiting for some figures to arrive to populate the innards. I also need to glaze before putting the roofs on. Looking forward to pairing with a Manning and watch it trundle up and down…

IMG_3270.jpeg.8932d1e5f69e57a2df3d9d6d51cd1617.jpeg

IMG_3272.jpeg.e8d13b27f84e3b47df11806795bee520.jpeg

IMG_3271.jpeg.8b860cca8cc06cab5f870384b34e0e6e.jpeg

IMG_3273.jpeg.c6ad2fdf54107e659d542b121e4176c3.jpeg

IMG_3274.jpeg.90d82dc5af8c745b09e7cb66bd48bbfc.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 2

• 2 months later...

Here’s a question - poss a silly one but as I don’t know the answer for sure: does anyone know what would the S Healing & Sons wagons have conveyed? Coal, sacks and a sheet, barrels? Any ideas…?! 

26 minutes ago, Tricky said:

S Healing & Sons

Google "Allied Mills Ltd:   S. Healing and Sons, flour millers, Tewkesbury: canal bargemen". Likely coal to fire the mill? Plenty of wagon images

Edited by MR Chuffer
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Tricky said:

Here’s a question - poss a silly one but as I don’t know the answer for sure: does anyone know what would the S Healing & Sons wagons have conveyed? Coal, sacks and a sheet, barrels? Any ideas…?! 

Grain in and flower out I think, maybe animal feed as well. Maybe coal but I think they had a water mill down at the quay.

Regards Lez.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies. As you may have guessed, I have a Healings wagon which has been hand lettered and is rather nice. I’d rather not have to cover up the lettering with a sheet so need an unsheeted load or of course empty.

On another random question; I recall seeing on Google a yellow hand cart with Tewkesbury Dairy (?) lettering on it. For the life of me I can no longer find it having searched numerous descriptions. Anyone have any idea of said image? 

• Like 1

On 02/02/2024 at 21:03, Tricky said:

I’ve been following your thread and enjoying your journey. A long time ago the club I was a member of built a layout with the Tewksbury shed area modelled reasonable accurately, one of the thing I did was to put together some wagons, and seeing your reference to S Healing & Son it’s one of those i did. The photo shows it and some of the others, a bit of modellers license used but do look convincing.

Simon

29AD3FCA-6A38-46B9-9F21-75EEAD6CD645.jpeg

Edited by hobbyhorse
Spelling
  • Like 12

I have quite a few images of wagons carrying sacks (including grain, hops, and all the other things that were packed in hessian) un-sheeted while they wait to be unloaded, or loaded and waiting to be sheeted. I think your Healings wagon could be full of sacks without a sheet. If you want to add a special touch perhaps a folded sheet on top ready to be used?

Two images of Cuckfield.

Sacks and sheeted wagons, Cockfield

Sacks, Cockfield

Going by photos I've seen, dry goods like sacks were only sheeted if they were going to be exposed to rain. If they were sure of being got under cover before it rained sheets weren't used. It's a lot of work to sheet a load. I know, I've done it. And the traditional canvas sheets were very heavy things. 

IMT Image Archive (DK T131e)

Ipswich Maritime Trust photo

I'm sure I read somewhere that Samuel Healing rebuilt the old watermill as a steam-powered mill, so definitely coal inbound, but I think the grain arrived by water so it would be flour that was exported by rail. 

Edit: barges for inbound grain, up to 1998 - http://www.strayoffthepath.co.uk/healings-mill---tewkesbury.html

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2