East Leake and Rothley Railway. Formerly Dumbarton and Rothley Station.

iankemp

The next job to do will be having to adjust the board that has the bridge on that will be replaced! I will be having to take the old one out and cut enough space for the new one and then i will be having to do the walls that hold the embankment back!

Hi, Ian

Comments please on this drawing of the lattice work for your canal bridge

post-10633-0-06301300-1299507567_thumb.png

You can see that the number of vertical braces is fewer than the prototype. However, I have kept the same vertical arrangements of the cross bracings

If all is OK, I will PM you the suggested plastic sizes and construction method

Ron

• Like 3

Hi, Ian

Comments please on this drawing of the lattice work for your canal bridge

post-10633-0-06301300-1299507567_thumb.png

You can see that the number of vertical braces is fewer than the prototype. However, I have kept the same vertical arrangements of the cross bracings

If all is OK, I will PM you the suggested plastic sizes and construction method

Ron

Hi Ron

That looks great thank you for doing the drawing for me it will be of great use for me to do the bridge.

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought i'd mention this! On our regional news (East Midlands today) The GCR has been mentioned that some of the NRM collection will be moving to Loughborough once the "GAP" has been done. This project is slowly looking more reality.

it made think to scan the net for more info on this!!

Here are a links for you to look at!

http://www.railexpress.co.uk/news/gcrd-submits-growth-fund-bid-to-bridge-the-gap

Just thought i'd mention this! On our regional news (East Midlands today) The GCR has been mentioned that some of the NRM collection will be moving to Loughborough once the "GAP" has been done. This project is slowly looking more reality.

it made think to scan the net for more info on this!!

Here are a links for you to look at!

http://www.railexpre...-bridge-the-gap

Thanks for that info Ian. It certainly will be good news when the project gets its funding

Cheers

Thanks for that info Ian. It certainly will be good news when the project gets its funding

Cheers

There was an article on the BBC regional news lastnight on bbc1 it gave a bit more info on what was happening!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/nottingham/hi/people_and_places/newsid_9159000/9159638.stm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-11682482

I hope you will be able to get this still!

There was an article on the BBC regional news lastnight on bbc1 it gave a bit more info on what was happening!

http://news.bbc.co.u...000/9159638.stm

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rshire-11682482

I hope you will be able to get this still!

Hi, Ian

The first link - can't pick up the video stream

The second link - OK

This confirms details of the proposed tie-up

Thanks

Ron

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A wee update i think.

I have now found a new place and i have a wee bit of inspiration from the view from the front room window as well! I am smack bang next to a railway as well. I am right on the doorstep of Dumbarton Central station (one of the gateways to the Highland Railway). I should be moving within the next month an half! Hopefully work shall resume on the railway after that time.

Well that is all the model railway stuff packed up securely for moving. I didn't realise how many wagons i had got. 2 large boxes and it looks like i am gonna be starting a 3rd one later. i have got 3 boxes of loco's and 2 boxes of coaches. So now i guess i should get on with buying detail kits for the loco's and loads more track as i really need to be buying more track but see something else that takes my fancy like a few wagons or a coach. So now it is nothing but track work and loco detailing parts from my friends at Craftsmann.

Hi all

Thanks Ron, I am watching your thread and how your modeling is taking shape as well. I have got most of the room planned out as my layout is going to be a round the room type with lift out sections! there will be a corner area where the long bridge will go hopefully.

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Been a while since i have done an update!

Well I have some EXCELLENT news at last! I have now got a flat of my own and i will be moving in 2 weeks time. I have noticed that not everything is packed up as i first thought. The 2 latest bridges that i have made have not been packed away. plus there is a few bits that need to be packed. I have got a flat opposite Dumbarton Central that leads on to the west highland line. I will have to use a bit of modellers license and change a few bits of the plan that i have thought of doing. I have a great view of the station.

So anyway i thought i would share my bit of news with you guys!

I will try and fit all of it in if i have room. the bedroom (one and only) will have it going round the walls and hopefully have the major part (Toton) part in one area, GCR on another and then a Scottish bit on the other side! So hopefully it will all tie in with each other nicely! The Scottish station i am thinking of doing is Dumbarton East i have already started measuring up.

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/location.php?loc=Dumbarton%20East

looks easy enough to do!

• 2 weeks later...

hi all

Right i have now got a bit of a small job to do of carefully :blink: taking the Toton bridge apart ready for packing :rolleyes: so that it doesn't get damaged whilst in transit to its new home in Scotland. The other bridge that i built has now got a new use for as i have seen a bridge very much the same style albeit pillars are not as high as the girder part though, so that will have a bit of a make over to fit in. He he i did have a bit of a crazy notion of doing Dumbarton Central to make that as a main station but i decided not to unless i change my mind! But anyway that is further down the tracks if you pardon the pun! No pun intended! But updates will follow more when i have got up there and the boards are put up and built upon!

Update time i think!!

The move went easy enough,albeit the driver of the van had to leave about 6pm and left me with all the heavy stuff to move. so that included the boards and boxes of railway stuff. But anyway it is all in the flat now! The room is HUGE so i think there will be enough room to do most of what i wanna do now! The Toton bridge is gonna get dismantled and rebuilt properly now! I have found that the platform of the bridge sits a bit to high so i am going to get smaller H beams for the bed of the bridge. Well that is after i have got sorted out though so it maybe a wee while till any actual building will be done as i am going to have to get the boards sorted out!

UPDATE TIME!!!!

Work has already started. I have got two boards up now but i have noticed that the bridge has got damaged a bit in the move but it can be easily fixed.

IMAG0154.jpg

IMAG0155.jpg

IMAG0156.jpg

Once i have got some more stuff sorted out i will be able to do more work on it. I need to buy some more bolts so that i can join other boards to it now!

I know i have a lot of stuff. I really ought to buy more track now. The last coach is a DBSO converted from an airfix coach. I still need to finish it off by putting some transfers on.

The Layout will be going round the room with lift out sections for the doors but the double doors in the picture are not really needed to be opened up.

• Like 1

IMAG0155.jpg

The class 25 is a conversion from the Hornby green version. It has had the front detail filed off the middle windows opened up more and the sides have had the Craftsman kit added to it! Even the front end detailing has been added. It even has had the motor detached so it runs freely now.

The Class 37 is a Lima not Bachmann, The Class 37 has had the detailed touch added to it as well! Most of my locos has had the 3 screwlink conversion added to it! But not the Bachmann ones as i am not sure about that yet!

• Like 1

Well I have been doing a bit more work on the layout. There is about 9 foot of track on the boards so far now. I have had a final count on the peak front! There is now 16 peaks ( i think i have enough now). I have to go shopping for some more wood for strengthening the boards!

I am going thave to make a few changes to the original plan that i had in my head. the 2 boards that i have up at the min are 4ftx2ft. There is just enough room to make one side of the curves bit of a sweeping curve. when i have been back to the flat (am staying with the girlfriend as i don't have a bed yet) i will take a few pics of the curves that i have started work on. At the moment i a concerntrating on getting the Loughborough section done first then try and fit in the other sections as i go along.

In the room there is a part where i can fit in a shed area as there is a recess in the wall where i can fit it in. There could be a chance of not being able to fit the Toton bridge in as said before about the size of the room. It will be a shame if i canna fit that bit in, but needs a must though. I will try and fit what i can in though. There will be sidings though as i am planning on have an oil terminal somewhere along the line and also a PTO drop off area so watch out for that.