Well in the light of the new Bachmann announcements, I can feel my wallet crying with pain.

I think the addition of an EWS 90, albeit renumbered to 039, would be splendid. Could recreate this fine scene from 2005 when this happened...

image.png.e198bd83f77c9719f2962976e49d9b50.png

Hate it when you just forget to unhook the electric engine 🤪 Also, the addition of the BSI couplings as found on the latest 150 and 158 releases is very welcome to the accessories range. I only need 3 bags of 10 to fit to my 14X 15X and 17X stuff!

Edited by JackB95
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Not really done much on the layout recently given I've been quite busy with work/volunteering/girlfriend, so thought I'd update the thread with some pictures I've taken recently.

Middle of May I received my shiny new EWS skoda from Tony's Trains of Rugby...

image.thumb.png.1d5997886219ca7c05c23a0618e36a48.png

The transfers from Steve Bell have been with me for a while so I'll eventually get round to renumbering 030 to 039. Unfortunately 030 has quite a big nameplate, so it'll be quite tricky to remove that properly...

And Saturday just gone, I received a parcel from KMS Railtec in Aberdeenshire!

image.thumb.png.a075d42dd0a778661802bc619c09f92a.png

image.thumb.png.35918db4ac1fdcea763258ce4651eb89.png

And yes, I was lucky to have got my DBSO model! Sounds like they're impossible to find and were mostly sold out on pre-order. Hopefully Bachmann acknowledge this and release more, or maybe another running number!

The 90 and DBSO are beautiful models, and Bachmann's quality is really shining through here. Both examples have beautiful detailing, and quality control seems to have fallen in my favour too.

On the subject of test trains, I've discovered a guy on here who makes 3D printed kits (and also offers completed models) of the ex-Motorail NVA and ex-Sleeper BUO vehicles often found in test trains. These will have be sourced for the layout at some point this year I think 🤪

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
On 28/06/2022 at 09:53, JackB95 said:

On the subject of test trains, I've discovered a guy on here who makes 3D printed kits (and also offers completed models) of the ex-Motorail NVA and ex-Sleeper BUO vehicles often found in test trains. 

Care to share who or post a link to their website if they have one?

Great layout by the way. My stomping ground as home is in Buckley although temp down in Swansea.

Edited by Scottish-Exile

8 hours ago, Scottish-Exile said:

Care to share who or post a link to their website if they have one?

Great layout by the way. My stomping ground as home is in Buckley although temp down in Swansea.

Here's the guy! 

Many thanks! Ahhh, nice to have another Gog on the thread!

• Thanks 1

Whilst over in Porthmadog doing a spell of volunteering, I had a bit of a brainwave for a gap filler...

image.png.08af838b5248d7db1733c2d1d3817983.png

009 narrow gauge railway anyone? It'd be in keeping with the North Wales theme, plus it'd be a good excuse to run some of the new Bachmann/Peco models.

I'm not thinking of anything too complex. A simple island platform, run-round with a water tower in the headshunt, and a signal box. The signal box is going to be a 3D printed kit of Porthmadog Harbour Station that I've had for years and not got round to building. It'd be a great excuse to now build it.

I've never worked with 009, or anything 2mm for that matters, so it'll be quite interesting to see how it goes.

I'm going to run the train off a standard DC controller fixed to the side of the layout. No need for DCC given how tiny the models are, and I'll wire it so a train can come in on one platform, then another alongside can then depart. Station-building wise, that'll be 'off scene' as the platform won't be wide enough for anything too fancy like Blaenau has in real life. Just a simple island platform with the odd bit of furniture will be enough.

There's no rush for me to crack on with this project, but I suspect what I'll end up doing is cutting some wood to be the platform, then buy some track to fix around.

Traction-wise, I'm considering getting a Britomart and some little carriages to match. I can't be arsed to kit build, so I'll go down the RTR route where I can.

Thoughts welcome!

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

On 03/07/2022 at 09:08, JackB95 said:

Here's the guy! 

Many thanks! Ahhh, nice to have another Gog on the thread!

Got a few of his kits myself to do, great guy and very friendly, got 2 DBSO conversion kits, Mentor, UTU3, BUO and Motorrail coach. 

• Round of applause 1

12 hours ago, Clan Mcadder said:

The 009 on the front would look very good indeed.

i may have my wires crossed but is it Jack from MRL all those years ago ? apologise if its not . 

Many thanks Clan! And yes, that is me! 👀

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Clan Mcadder said:

ah excellent , i used to have the small German layout that did the show at Crewe in 2012 i think ? 

That's a blast from the past! 10 years ago this summer I think. 13th August 2012 I have written down...

On 04/07/2022 at 15:50, JackB95 said:

Whilst over in Porthmadog doing a spell of volunteering, I had a bit of a brainwave for a gap filler...

image.png.08af838b5248d7db1733c2d1d3817983.png

009 narrow gauge railway anyone? It'd be in keeping with the North Wales theme, plus it'd be a good excuse to run some of the new Bachmann/Peco models.

I'm not thinking of anything too complex. A simple island platform, run-round with a water tower in the headshunt, and a signal box. The signal box is going to be a 3D printed kit of Porthmadog Harbour Station that I've had for years and not got round to building. It'd be a great excuse to now build it.

I've never worked with 009, or anything 2mm for that matters, so it'll be quite interesting to see how it goes.

I'm going to run the train off a standard DC controller fixed to the side of the layout. No need for DCC given how tiny the models are, and I'll wire it so a train can come in on one platform, then another alongside can then depart. Station-building wise, that'll be 'off scene' as the platform won't be wide enough for anything too fancy like Blaenau has in real life. Just a simple island platform with the odd bit of furniture will be enough.

There's no rush for me to crack on with this project, but I suspect what I'll end up doing is cutting some wood to be the platform, then buy some track to fix around.

Traction-wise, I'm considering getting a Britomart and some little carriages to match. I can't be arsed to kit build, so I'll go down the RTR route where I can.

Thoughts welcome!

Go for it Jack

Image1-48.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, I bit the bullet... A slight change of plan as I've found a piece of wood that was perfectly sized (may not become the final platform), plus I felt the space would better suit a 1 platform and run-round facility rather than an island platform.

image.png.64da741e3a9148a7e6e0551c71604fa9.png

image.png.0ac397fd4dc598bcb3bf87510b46156e.png

Complete with a simple fiddle stick

image.png.41ced6eda7865e647be31683c2b0a89b.png

And substituting for proper 009 stock for the time being, here's half a Kato Eurostar...

image.png.2f55cfbb5752a3ac8eaa7849f3bfa168.png

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Decided to finally sort out the dodgy track joints over the rather unsuccessful hinged baseboard joint. I've screwed the boards together having levelled them again, and then pulled up the old track and relaid fresh lengths (and slightly realigned them too to help with overhanging stock) and given them a quick test run with 90039. The banked curve through Conwy has had some work done to it given the recent heatwave buckled the rails a bit. Trimmed back some rails to allow for bigger breathing joints.

I'll do a better test run once the cooler weather returns - I can't cope being up there at the moment

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 5 weeks later...

A few little updates here and there for you all.

Firstly, a couple of 009 kits were purchased via a well-known online auction website. A Minffordd-inspired waiting shelter, and Beddgelert-inspired watering tower. Both were painted and put together in no time at all. I also couldn't resist getting a 3D printed Upnor Castle too, which came with its own Kato chassis that I lightly modified to fit inside.

image.png.cfa0d39e99358f4881638e316f9ad22a.png

image.png.488e4169103ee292dd27b0aabb04c8a9.png

Next up, I made a recent trip to Anoraks Anonymous in Doncaster (amazing second hand shop) and found myself a left-hand electrofrog point. Arriving back home, it was put into action and swapped out a right-hand one that has made the fiddle yard transition a bit smoother especially for propelling movements.

I also took delivery of my second 009 locomotive. Technically HOe scale, a Lilliput Zillertalbahn diesel engine is now going to form part of my continental narrow gauge stock. The plan is to get a couple of matching coaches when they're released very soon. Bit of variety, you know...

image.png.8dae5f44d6b3d9d8a09beb41f9f1f945.png

The 009 set up started off being powered by a Hornby controller that I'd been donated by a mate. It quickly turned out that the old tech in the controller didn't like the newer locos, and I ended up swapping it out for a new Gaugemaster Combi controller which is working absolutely perfectly.

image.png.1f28332111bb5c5e312b967395475319.png

One kit that I've had in my possession for quite a while now was this Porthmadog Harbour signal box kit. Painted and assembled (rather badly because it wasn't an easy one to build), this'll form a scenic break between the 009 and the fiddle yard. Far from completed as it still requires the roof and details going on. But it's quite a nice little thing to have at least.

image.png.dc700b185add0233b3472e174878299b.png

Another 3D printed kit I recently acquired was this rather gorgeous GSM-R radio mast. Goes together really nicely, and looks the part. Not quite sure where it'll be fixed down, but I'm quite keen on this... (the CS 86 is on loan from a mate who's given it to me to do a few mods before it returns)

image.png.81d8d409d6aca3e5953161198d4b2a96.png

And finally, a couple of weeks ago I commissioned @LMSfan72 to make me some of his rather gorgeous Network Rail carriages. Made out of a butchered Hornby Mk2E with custom 3D printed sides, a former Caledonian Sleeper BUO coach was the first of two new vehicles to arrive...

image.png.2ba5f36f4fc9fbe240c2c839c1a9e8b9.png

The second was this fully 3D printed former FGW motorail NVA

image.png.e5c39f3f6fe4f3103103ed05e296f163.png

The two highly compliment my test train and look absolutely gorgeous. I highly recommend checking out Andy's blogs as he's got a variety of vehicles that he can offer in kit, assembled, or fully painted form. I chose to be lazy and received mine fully assembled and ready to go. Gorgeous models!

A tub of Woodland Scenics ballast and one of those fancy ballast spreaders was also picked up recently in the hope that I'll eventually pull a finger out and FINALLY start ballasting. The colour I've chosen for the mainline, given I'm wanting to portray the layout in a way to show as if it's had a lot of renewals done to the trackwork recently, is the 1381 light grey. The depot will be a darker shade so will get that done another time. Sticking with the depot theme, I also picked up Railway Laser Lines' recently release of some fueling grids that'll sit rather nicely in the Gresty Bridge-inspired fueling shed. That kit already came with its own concrete flooring, so I'll make some modifications and put in the new fueling grids and walkways to match.

So there we go! Quite a few bits to share with you. No doubt another update will follow soon once I finally get some ballasting done. Can't wait to see what it'll look like. Should make quite a difference!

• Like 11

• 1 month later...

Afternoon all. Bit of a big update, so I'll let the photos do the talking. But first, I managed to butcher the fueling point to get the new fueling grids in...

image.png.b1866bba5b869317bfa0ad8a35b00d60.png

Now, for the big (and very messy) update! Ballasting has started! A series of photos taken in order below

image.png.f5686cf77d0b34ac8478e563f111661e.png

Whilst ballast dried, I managed to get some 3D printed low-profile Rawie buffers from Resin Printed Railways painted up and glued on. They certainly look the part!

image.png.79c435e02b014a63731cce19488e77cc.png

Got a bit congested on the depot...

image.png.b3b523e0f2570e79811c600d5f828507.png

My Bachmann 20312 shell was returned to me in the post having had some lighting mods by Track3D Parts in Dorset. Massive thanks to Chandler for the excellent marker lights! Makes such a difference

image.png.851e88f35ede6ffdbbca82a468f7c183.png

image.png.2753bd78fe3538cb11f7b10a08e1e564.png

image.png.d4940b957411c76c2b1947dd4c9fc75d.png

I took the opportunity to put in some walkways using two layers of 2mm card. These'll eventually be textured on top

image.png.1ac5e0b350acd3d33e0cf67aa8d53f8b.png

image.png.c0d50ec51cbb3a6a19ed086875eb6e77.png

It's been a bit tedious in places, and a big learning curve. Doesn't half make a difference though! Slowly scraping off ballast that's still on rails or whatever, but we're getting there!

I picked up the new Metcalfe modern municipal building yesterday from my local shop, and threw it together in 2 hours! Not sure exactly what'll it be, but it's a lovely gap filler.

image.png.2c0d6ce8f96c25512cbe8361c97d1ff8.png

Still waiting for my Hornby TfW Mk4s to arrive, but I have it on good authority that now the buffet coach has been released by Hornby, that I'll receive my parcel very soon...

• Like 13

• 4 weeks later...

FINALLY after 2 months of waiting (since the shops started getting their allocations), I find myself with a new TfW Mk4 set!

I'm still missing the buffet which the model shop hasn't received yet, but voila! 

IMG_20221022_125256_787.jpg.8ce5858af213580d5d415aaf27cafeb6.jpg

IMG_20221022_125256_799.jpg.89acef2748cc375102ae97bd40d18852.jpg

IMG_20221022_125256_846.jpg.66a5013b574f8e80a674f8a2f4cfbb54.jpg

IMG_20221022_125256_860.jpg.176e5efb0fcd63f1cfea5e08ff8c2d1f.jpg

IMG_20221022_125256_917.jpg.bfd6c894f569eda0d563e96e377f4009.jpg

And just a comparison shot between the respray @CazRaildid for me and Hornby's efforts, fair play lad. Very impressed. IMG_20221022_125256_929.jpg.fcbb22f610867cd09da8ce8b679a0950.jpg

• Like 14

On 18/08/2022 at 10:20, JackB95 said:

A few little updates here and there for you all.

Another 3D printed kit I recently acquired was this rather gorgeous GSM-R radio mast. Goes together really nicely, and looks the part. Not quite sure where it'll be fixed down, but I'm quite keen on this... 

image.png.81d8d409d6aca3e5953161198d4b2a96.png

And finally, a couple of weeks ago I commissioned @LMSfan72 to make me some of his rather gorgeous Network Rail carriages. Made out of a butchered Hornby Mk2E with custom 3D printed sides, a former Caledonian Sleeper BUO coach was the first of two new vehicles to arrive...

image.png.2ba5f36f4fc9fbe240c2c839c1a9e8b9.png

The second was this fully 3D printed former FGW motorail NVA

image.png.e5c39f3f6fe4f3103103ed05e296f163.png

The two highly compliment my test train and look absolutely gorgeous. I highly recommend checking out Andy's blogs as he's got a variety of vehicles that he can offer in kit, assembled, or fully painted form. I chose to be lazy and received mine fully assembled and ready to go. Gorgeous models!

A tub of Woodland Scenics ballast and one of those fancy ballast spreaders was also picked up recently in the hope that I'll eventually pull a finger out and FINALLY start ballasting. The colour I've chosen for the mainline, given I'm wanting to portray the layout in a way to show as if it's had a lot of renewals done to the trackwork recently, is the 1381 light grey. The depot will be a darker shade so will get that done another time. Sticking with the depot theme, I also picked up Railway Laser Lines' recently release of some fueling grids that'll sit rather nicely in the Gresty Bridge-inspired fueling shed. That kit already came with its own concrete flooring, so I'll make some modifications and put in the new fueling grids and walkways to match.

So there we go! Quite a few bits to share with you. No doubt another update will follow soon once I finally get some ballasting done. Can't wait to see what it'll look like. Should make quite a difference!

File the round vent or whatever it is off the roof of you GSMR REB, they don’t have one.

Great update