Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

What were they using for runners in the mid 80's?

I have 46020 so might have to try a photoshoot I think Tim.

As our Scotttish friends wiould say, "Aye, right!"

Any chance you could gently nudge PW towards falcon? I'd love one before I go..........

Funny you should mention Falcon Jeff. I did bring it up with Laurie on Saturday, his reply was that he already had enough for the next 5 years to keep him busy!

I will keep mentioning it to him until we wear him down. Did it ever go through Leamington? Might have a better chance if it did.

Was a western region Loco, based on BR for a LONG time after it as bought from Brush.

It worked passengers, and, being 100mph rated, as against the Western's 90mph, was liked by the Western Region engine men.

It then got moved onto freight due to lack of ETH, and was based on BR, then CF, then EJ.

Plenty of chances it went through Leamington, I'd say.........

• RMweb Premium
I did the cutouts in the fuel tanks and added some pipework in one side. It will look a lot better when weathered.

Brian, going back a bit, how did you do the cut out in the 33 tank? Also have you separated the pipe work moulded above the tanks and then fixed to the body, slightly set back, or is that just an illusion?

Edited by Hal Nail

What were they using for runners in the mid 80's?

Hello Brian,

I'm pretty sure I've a photo at Preston with some Railfreight liveried VEAs being used as runners - my sojourn there was from 1986 - 1990 so the period would be about right. I'll hunt it out - may be a while tho' as I'm away from my photo collection for the next few days.

Rgds,

Hello Brian,

I'm pretty sure I've a photo at Preston with some Railfreight liveried VEAs being used as runners - my sojourn there was from 1986 - 1990 so the period would be about right. I'll hunt it out - may be a while tho' as I'm away from my photo collection for the next few days.

Rgds,

Hi Andy

Thanks for the info. I have 2 of the Modellexpress VAA's I think I will use either end. At least it will make it look more like train rather than just the FNA on it's own.

Bryan, going back a bit, how did you do the cut out in the 33 tank? Also have you separated the pipe work moulded above the tanks and then fixed to the body, slightly set back, or is that just an illusion?

I cut out the tank by using pictures to guess the size from. I think I drilled into it and then cleaned up the hole with a knife and file. I made the backing for the recess from plasticard. The only pipes I have done from wire are the ones in the recess. The others are still Heljans.

• RMweb Premium

I cut out the tank by using pictures to guess the size from. I think I drilled into it and then cleaned up the hole with a knife and file. I made the backing for the recess from plasticard. The only pipes I have done from wire are the ones in the recess. The others are still Heljans.

Many thanks. With those pipes across the moulding theres not as much access as I'd hoped but will have a crack in due course. Is your JLTRT bagpipe on hold? If so that must have spoiled your average finishing time!!!

Hello Brian,

Rgds,

Brian,

They were actially ex VIX ferryvans in Railfreight red / grey, pic I had in mind just show the FNA - but negs either side show Class 47+van - FNA - van.

A better train still ?

Rgds

For the runners/barriers, I remember seeing various formations at Carlisle and Crewe in the 80's, they were using ex HAA's without the tub, and stainless steel sheet welded on the chassis.

Webbo

Edited by Webbo

Now those VIX vans would look nice in 7mm, they had been around for a few years haven't they.

Yes, they have. They fell out of revenue use in the early 80's, I'm not sure when they were built but think it's some time in the 60's.

Edit - I've looked it up and they were built by Pressed Steel or Ashford Works between 1962 and 1964 and were phased out of service by 1982.

Brian,

After my last post on the runners/barriers I have found an old notebook, 3 of the HAA's noted at Carlisle were 360441, 360947 and 361253, can't read my own writing and the book is damaged for the others.

Webbo

Edited by Webbo

Dear Brian

Just wanted to say how i enjoy your blog and all of the models you have kindly put up on your blog to show us how its done. You seem so humble and down to earth when someone asks a (simple) question etc. I have been to exhibitions and asked some questions to layout owners, "its a trade secret" one answered me.

I have just got back into the hobby in the last few weeks, as i lost my friend(2007) who was also a modeller, when he died, i lost interest in it, and in the last four years i have avoided my hobby room, but in the last two weeks i have now started to show a interest in it again, after looking at your blog. I showed your blog to my workmate, we were both blown away at the detail you go into.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks once again.

Alan

• RMweb Premium

Well good news it that the extra brake disc etches from Graham will be coming this week so I will get the FNA's second bogie finished and then its awaiting the paintshop.....which reminds me......did you book good weather for your spray day Brian or just get lucky? :)

But at least once the FNA build is finished I can transfer production of the 108 from the train shed to the nice warm commandered bedroom (read winter workshop). Maybe now I have got a smooth working power bogie I can focus on the body structures.

Next on the list will be the HEAs converted to RNAs....but woe is me, they will be etched brass, I thought I had grown too old for burnt fingers and swearing under my breath!

Glad you are on the homeward stretch with the FNA David (well nearly, when the postie delivers the discs).

I am not sure if I will bother with the correct runners for my FNA, just say it's on delivery in an airbraked train, think I could get away with that?

I think at the moment you could spray your model in one county with the spray can in the next! It's supposed to be getting a bit blowy by the end of this week again.

Hopefully I will get few little jobs done this week as I have a week off. I have a Slaters Vanwide to varnish and weather, a JLTRT coach to put the windows in, the JLTRT 17 to add a couple of little bits on, a JLTRT ply van to make into an airbrake van, a JLTRT MkI CK to build, oh and all this crimble stuff to get sorted :wacko:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I was thinking the same, I know for a fact here on my branch line the flask trains in the early 80's were just a class 31 with one FNA in tow, looks odd but prototypically correct, and maybe when I get another FNA I can run an extra long train :)

I'll pop my FNA out in the garden tomorrow, if you could just give it a quick coat of primer there in Oxfordshire, by the time I get home here in Essex it'll be dry!

Hopefully I will get few little jobs done this week as I have a week off. I have a Slaters Vanwide to varnish and weather, a JLTRT coach to put the windows in, the JLTRT 17 to add a couple of little bits on, a JLTRT ply van to make into an airbrake van, a JLTRT MkI CK to build, oh and all this crimble stuff to get sorted :wacko:

Slow week then? :))

• RMweb Gold

Well good news it that the extra brake disc etches from Graham will be coming this week so I will get the FNA's second bogie finished and then its awaiting the paintshop.....which reminds me......did you book good weather for your spray day Brian or just get lucky? :)

But at least once the FNA build is finished I can transfer production of the 108 from the train shed to the nice warm commandered bedroom (read winter workshop). Maybe now I have got a smooth working power bogie I can focus on the body structures.

Next on the list will be the HEAs converted to RNAs....but woe is me, they will be etched brass, I thought I had grown too old for burnt fingers and swearing under my breath!

I dont know if DC kits still do them but they used to do a hea in resin at one time there is a picture of a kit on the Migo site in the galleries follow the link below if it works.

Regards

Mark J

http://www.migo.org.uk/mambo/index.php?option=com_zoom&Itemid=43&page=view&catid=4&key=38&hit=1

One job on my "to do" list week was to fit the windows in my latest JLTRT MkI. If you can remember I used Easybuild etched window frames on this coach which look great. But their clear moulded windows did not sit in very well. So I filed a bit off the top ans side and then they fitted a lot better. As you can see in the first picture there was a bit of a gap under the horizontal framework. This did reduce with a slightly smaller window after the filing. I glued the windows in with diluted Kristal Klear and a small brush to flood the inside of the window hole as the window moulding a bit smaller than the bodyside hole. I am pleased with the results. Looking at the pictures though it does look like the windows are scratched. Trust me they look ok in the flesh. I used up all the "No Smoking" window stickers on the HMRS sheet so had to use a set of the old triangulay ones in one seating bay. At about £20 a sheet, and these and the First Class stickers are all I use on it, I am not going to worry as the real coaches ended up with odd stickers at times. So at last another coach joins the rake, now 5 finished. Managed to get a couple of pictures of it outside between the rain,hail and snow showers here in Oxfordshire.

For coach 6 I have an SK to do but am debating whether to use these window frames on it or not as glueing the Easybuild windows in when it's painted would be next to impossible on the coridoor side, it's ok putting the JLTRT windows in though. So I could leave the interior until the windows are in, pre-paint it and then glue it all in, tempting.

I am soldering up a set of the etched bogies from these coaches at the moment (3 days work so far!) although these are for my first SO I did that has a set of old plain Cavalier Commonwealths under it for the time being. I am waiting for a set of JLTRT Commonwealths to go under the new SK and I will add some ETH boxes under the ends I think.

post-6766-0-03249400-1323792334.jpg

post-6766-0-88091500-1323792340.jpg

post-6766-0-26308100-1323792346.jpg

post-6766-0-45737600-1323792352.jpg

post-6766-0-46269500-1323792358.jpg

post-6766-0-86958600-1323792383.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hmmmm I reckon your going to need another 10 at least.....should be done by the new year anyway! :)

That clear glazing always looks terrible in photos, it catches light from every angle and all you see is the minute scratches, unless of course you have left the protective sheet on the glazing......don't laugh, I did that once in a photo frame, I couldn't work out why the print had this wierd colour cast, then I realised the antireflection glazing had a film both sides and I only peeled one off......never done that again!

Great work there brian...as always.