Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

I dont think that we really have room for a wessie either - time will tell - a Teddy Bear would have been nice as it would suit the smaller layout....

That was what I tried to express to the Heljan chaps, but I guess I was in the minority.

I had heard that an 08 maybe on the cards, but this definate then (announced at Alex. Pally)?

Yep, it's all here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53861-Dapol-announce-n-27-oo-73-and-o-08-at-alexandra-palace/page__view__findpost__p__644335

• Like 1

Heljan did think about the 14 but thought there would be more sales in a 52 as the 14 was only done in one livery (ok apart from British Coal) I know a Western is a big loco but so was the 47, 55 and 37 and they still sold.

I doubt I will buy a Dapol 08 as I do prefer to build JLTRT models.

Never say never. Ok it's cheap at a (proposed) street price of £169.99 - I will wait until I see the CAD's. Actually it's not cheap - there is no real reason for O stuff to be so much more expensive than 4mm. People charge what the market will bear.

Best, Pete.

Never say never. Ok it's cheap at a (proposed) street price of £169.99 - I will wait until I see the CAD's. Actually it's not cheap - there is no real reason for O stuff to be so much more expensive than 4mm. People charge what the market will bear.

Best, Pete.

Hi Pete,

Likewise.....I have broached this eleswhere, yet relatively speaking £169.00 is good VFM, I will await the CAD and maybe the reviews......

I always get the feeling that the 7mm market is a wet the finger stick in the air and see what the market will bear type thing too.....

CME

I was thinking of the other meaning of "cheap" - I don't believe that Dapol would allow such a thing, it will be a good model at a good price. One of the things that prevented me moving into 7mm were some of the dreadful, expensive rtr models that looked "cheap"!!!

Apart from that I bet they could do rolling stock like Mk 1's cheaper, Ahem, less expensive than 240 quid a throw too.....See what I mean?

Good times, Pete.

I wish they'd do "Falcon" in 7mm. The 4mm model sold out it's run, twice.

And I've recently read that there will be no more diesels from JLTRT after the latest tranche, so no chance there.

:( :( :(

From JLTRT facebook page:

"Announcement"! Contrary to the disturbing words wriiten in print in the latest edition of "Model Rail".... We will continue to develop exciting new O gauge kits for many years to come. Or at least until I become to old and frail to press these here buttons on my computer.

Old Adage applies here Do not believe a word of what you read in the press.

The model rail part is in the current issue in leamingtion spa diesel article

• Like 1

From JLTRT facebook page:

"Announcement"! Contrary to the disturbing words wriiten in print in the latest edition of "Model Rail".... We will continue to develop exciting new O gauge kits for many years to come. Or at least until I become to old and frail to press these here buttons on my computer.

Old Adage applies here Do not believe a word of what you read in the press.

The model rail part is in the current issue in leamingtion spa diesel article

Yes, it was in the article in the Spring issue of Model rail, about Leamington's diesels.

Thanks for that. There is hope for me and Falcon yet, it seems........

Now, where's my e-mail address for Pete Waterman?

Dear Pete, please excuse me writing yet AGAIN, but...........:lol:

I was thinking of the other meaning of "cheap" - I don't believe that Dapol would allow such a thing, it will be a good model at a good price. One of the things that prevented me moving into 7mm were some of the dreadful, expensive rtr models that looked "cheap"!!!

Apart from that I bet they could do rolling stock like Mk 1's cheaper, Ahem, less expensive than 240 quid a throw too.....See what I mean?

Good times, Pete.

That's what I mean too.

VFM to me is great product at a great price, one whereby the seller can make a reasonable profit and the buyer gets a good product.

ATB

CME

Yes, it was in the article in the Spring issue of Model rail, about Leamington's diesels.

Thanks for that. There is hope for me and Falcon yet, it seems........

Now, where's my e-mail address for Pete Waterman?

Dear Pete, please excuse me writing yet AGAIN, but........... :lol:

Sigh....back to square one: reply from a message to Laurie asking if there was any hope for Falcon in 7mm.

His response? Two words: "Ha! None!".

Sigh....back to square one: reply from a message to Laurie asking if there was any hope for Falcon in 7mm.

His response? Two words: "Ha! None!".

Always surprised me that Pete's never done a Warship....

('scuse the hijack Brian)..

JF

• Like 1

Not a good responce there Jeff.

Finally got hold of my MTH European wagons to go with the Swiss 482. Not bad for £69 each.

post-6766-0-23973900-1332932170.jpg

post-6766-0-56727800-1332932176.jpg

post-6766-0-24055700-1332932179.jpg

post-6766-0-37835700-1332932182.jpg

post-6766-0-14339500-1332932186.jpg

post-6766-0-42920900-1332932189.jpg

post-6766-0-68808700-1332932192.jpg

post-6766-0-90312800-1332932195.jpg

post-6766-0-95457100-1332932198.jpg

post-6766-0-78757600-1332932166.jpg

post-6766-0-85901700-1332932260.jpg

post-6766-0-16804700-1332932265.jpg

post-6766-0-81596500-1332932256.jpg

Not really into the foreign stuff, but quality-wise those wagons look the dogs doodahs. The couplings look quite neat as well. Wonder if they're available as an accessory?

JF

Large bogie wagons of that quality for £69 is outstanding value for money.

A bit of light weathering will bring all that detail out a treat, looking forward to seing photos of them "in service"

Perhaps what Dapol are saying about British outline 0 Gauge RTR being overpriced is going to result in similar items being available for the UK in the near future, I would like to think so.

Please excuse my ignorance of European practice, but are the moving buffer shanks actually external to the fixed head in real life?

regards

Stewart

• Like 1

Large bogie wagons of that quality for £69 is outstanding value for money.

A bit of light weathering will bring all that detail out a treat, looking forward to seing photos of them "in service"

Perhaps what Dapol are saying about British outline 0 Gauge RTR being overpriced is going to result in similar items being available for the UK in the near future, I would like to think so.

Please excuse my ignorance of European practice, but are the moving buffer shanks actually external to the fixed head in real life?

regards

Stewart

Yes lovely, and you reflected my thoughts on price and what Dapol have said about 7mm being over priced. We will have to wait and see!

Unfortunately none of these appear to be types that have worked to Britain - no HO/OO problems in 7mm - it would be interesting to see them up against a BR loco or other wagon! As a complete aside, I wonder why RIV permitted side opening doors on mineral wagons when they were a disaster in Britain?

As to buffers, yes they do have buffer heads that move over the shank - and they are also used in the UK see http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/rhttfeaf/e27e8df68

Paul Bartlett

• RMweb Premium

Brian

When you did your MTH LMS BG did you remove the lining and numbering prior to respraying it blue? If so what did you use.

Thanks in advance.

if Dapol are to start a price war in 7mm rtr then all the better for us and that could mean a garden layout for me :yahoo: (hiding this post from the misses)

Price wars are OK up to a point, but manuafacturers end up going to the wall tyhrough them :(

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Price wars are OK up to a point, but manuafacturers end up going to the wall tyhrough them :(

Big difference between a giant absorbing losses to put rivals out of business compared to Dapol stating prices don't need to be so high though...

If JLTRT don't think a Warship would sell, I can see why Falcon wouldn't. But then they said a 47 wouldn't sell (even though the Heljan effort has its detractors) yet they produced duplicates such as a 26, 33 etc which were not widespread (let alone something like the Clayton).

Not us taking the risk I guess but I don't follow the logic really.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1

We don't want a price war, we want quality products at reasonable prices. If manufacturers start chasing down prices all that will happen is that quality will fall, they will have to save money somewhere and the majority of their costs is in the inital delvelopment, so that is where they will cut back.

Its not locomotives I want, there are plenty of those around now, its quality rolling stock at reasonable prices. Personally I think the Heljan mark 1s are expensive, but I'm sure that a coach requires just as much development time as a loco, I just hope that they can sell enough of them to get the unit cost nearer the £100 mark, thats still 3 or 4 times the 00 price point.

From my understanding of the costs to make a model I think they would have to anticpate selling 5,000 of something to get the retail price down to £100, thats a lot of coaches when the Gauge O guild only has about 6,000 active members.

Richard