Tillotson Road, 'N' Gauge Layout

oggy1953

Hi All, Finally plucked up courage to put the new layout i am currently building for Epping Railway Circles Exhib next November 2010. now lets make one thing clear, my modelling skills are nowhere near as good as Chris Nevards or the many fine layouts you will find on this forum, and my photographic skills even worse.

I agreed last December to build a 8ft X 3ft layout for the afformentioned Exhib, i chose N gauge as i had plenty of stock, and as the vast majority of people attending would be Joe Public, decided i could build continuous run in this space. I have added a small MPD for extra loco movements. Most of the buildings are Metcalfe Kits as they are quick to build and I do have a time limit, although i should have plenty of time. Please have a look at the picture if i can load them and forgive the quality. My camera is rubbish, my Wife has a good one, but it would mean ploughing through 900 pictures she keeps permanately on there just to find mine.

Help please as to what i could build in the corner. I have built a retaining wall which looks fine, so the ground will have to be raised, now i am at a loss as how to fill it. Regards Peter.

post-7214-127290440593.jpgpost-7214-127290443062.jpgpost-7214-127290444838.jpgpost-7214-127290450645.jpgpost-7214-127290451818.jpg

Hi Peter

Well... I can join you in having no modeling skills, but looking at your OK Photos, its a lot better than I can ever do regarding the modeling side of the Layout and it looks really good.

Do you have a Track Plan of this Layout...? What is the Size of the Layout...?

Cheers Dude...

Jamie

Hi Peter

Well... I can join you in having no modeling skills, but looking at your OK Photos, its a lot better than I can ever do regarding the modeling side of the Layout and it looks really good.

Do you have a Track Plan of this Layout...? What is the Size of the Layout...?

Cheers Dude...

Jamie

Thanks for your kind comments, I'm no David Bailey. The layout is on 2 boards 4ft x 3ft giving 8ft in length. Trackplan....are yes...will have to draw one and try to copy to the PC. its basically a double track tail chaser with an MPD. At the back, both tracks become 3 to create a fiddle yard. This also hods the control panel for isolating and point motor switches. Will post more pictures when a better camera is available, my current camera is old and has about 1 mega pixel. Cheers

Hi Peter,

Your layout looks great, Looks better than my efforts.

Your question about a corner filler, how about a sky scraper, factory units or some sort of industrial estate.

Keep up the good work.

Jerry.

Hi Peter,

Your layout looks great, Looks better than my efforts.

Your question about a corner filler, how about a sky scraper, factory units or some sort of industrial estate.

Keep up the good work.

Jerry.

Cheers mate, Yes thats not a bad idea, have to get my design cap on, Now where did i put it....

Nice layout, I'm sure it will go down well at the show.

Is the corner you want to fill the one in the last picture?

If so you could put a gas works there. Or the Metcalfe bus garage? Or the backs of houses with gardens running down to the railway?

Nice layout, I'm sure it will go down well at the show.

Is the corner you want to fill the one in the last picture?

If so you could put a gas works there. Or the Metcalfe bus garage? Or the backs of houses with gardens running down to the railway?

Yep, good ideas, I have a Metcalfe bus garage kit waiting to be built, was going to change to a supermarket or DIY store to go over the bridge at the right hand end. Have to see when i have built it. Regards Peter..

That layout looks quite good, With a little detailing such as road markings, street lights and assorted clutter it will look awesome.

As for your space, no idea, have a look at the metcalfe website or try companies like faller or Noch and look at the range of continental kits

Dan

That layout looks quite good, With a little detailing such as road markings, street lights and assorted clutter it will look awesome.

As for your space, no idea, have a look at the metcalfe website or try companies like faller or Noch and look at the range of continental kits

Dan

Thanks Dan. Yes lots of detailing to do, not panicing yet, still got a full 5 months. As for the corner, I have been given a few ideas already and may go for a scratch built office block or bus station, only problem with the latter is the lack of suitable N gauge buses. Will post more pics when i have achieved some more. Regards Peter.

Hi Peter.

Looking good.

I agree that there is not many modern N gauge buses ( as far as i am aware ), got a few more ideas for your corner for you, how about a park of some sort with trees, possibly a statue etc ( like princes street gardens, Edinburgh ) or if your feeling really adventurous a stadium of some sort, maybe a church / church yard or even the entrance to a railway museum, just a few ideas.

Keep up good work.

Jerry.

I like the use of derelict former railway land as a scenic feature. I don't think enough models do that, at least on modern layouts. When I opened up this thread and just saw the first photo, straight away I thought of Edge Hill, where the tracks down to Lime Street pass a fairly large area like this. In that spirit, I'd suggest that you fill that vacant corner with a modern retail shed type of building.

At Edge Hill there's a retail park that backs on to the railway (the most noticeable feature being a large Matalan sign that you can see from the train). This is well above track level.

Jim

<edited because of copyright-related guilt pang over (now removed) Google Maps-derived aerial photo>

Hi Peter.

Looking good.

I agree that there is not many modern N gauge buses ( as far as i am aware ), got a few more ideas for your corner for you, how about a park of some sort with trees, possibly a statue etc ( like princes street gardens, Edinburgh ) or if your feeling really adventurous a stadium of some sort, maybe a church / church yard or even the entrance to a railway museum, just a few ideas.

Keep up good work.

Jerry.

Thanks Jerry, plenty of good ideas there, must make a decision in a few weeks. Regards Peter.

I like the use of derelict former railway land as a scenic feature. I don't think enough models do that, at least on modern layouts. When I opened up this thread and just saw the first photo, straight away I thought of Edge Hill, where the tracks down to Lime Street pass a fairly large area like this. In that spirit, I'd suggest that you fill that vacant corner with a modern retail shed type of building.

The white building upper left is a series of retail units that back onto the railway. The one at upper right is a large Matalan. The parked cars in between are at the very edge of a large car park that sits in the angle between them. All this is well above track level.

Jim

Jim, many thanks, yes another good idea, I knew RM web would come up trumps. Regards Peter.

This is a great layout and I look forward to seeing the detail added.

There are to be a number of new buses released in N over the coming months (some which will suit more modern layouts) so there is scope to use these, otherwise you could purchase some of the Japanese 1:150 scale buses or coaches and convert them into appropriate liveries for your layout.

This is a great layout and I look forward to seeing the detail added.

There are to be a number of new buses released in N over the coming months (some which will suit more modern layouts) so there is scope to use these, otherwise you could purchase some of the Japanese 1:150 scale buses or coaches and convert them into appropriate liveries for your layout.

Thanks Stephen, I will look out for them. Regards Peter

Hi All, just an update to work done in the last week. I have gone with jerry1975s idea of a church in the corner. Couple of reasons 1 it will add a bit of green to an otherwise grey scene. 2 I already have a church on my existing layout i can borrow, must put it back before the Sheredes school exhib in July. Other work done, signs on the station, white lines on the roads, brick walls around the industrial units, finished the fuel point and refueling point, built a Metcalfe bus garage for over the bridge which i will turn into a 'Wickes'. The strret and station lamps arrived this morning and have spent the afternoon painting them ( sore eyes now ). Waiting on a delivery of bits from Gaugemaster, so will update in a week or so. Have added some more pics. Regards Peter..

post-7214-127368268254_thumb.jpg

post-7214-127368276926_thumb.jpg

post-7214-127368282804_thumb.jpg

post-7214-127368291616_thumb.jpg

Looking good,are you going to have gravestones ?? they could be made quite easily and if faced the right way you wouldn't have to worry about any lettering.

John

RJR

Yes mate, ordered the Lyddle End ones, cheating realy but just for quickness. Will also add spear fencing, seats, trees and people. Regards Peter.

I have been given a few ideas already and may go for a scratch built office block or bus station, only problem with the latter is the lack of suitable N gauge buses.

Try looking on this site under 'KMB Model' and 'Toys Model' and you'll find some modern British style buses by Cars Workshop. Most of the double deckers are a bit longer than the usual UK versions, but it shouldn't be too hard to cut and splice as the models are all plastic and largely clip apart. If you have PayPal you can order direct from the site (but have your pop-up blocker switched off or on 'allow from this site'); I've ordered from them several times and only once did it take more than two weeks (less than a week a couple of times).

Try looking on this site under 'KMB Model' and 'Toys Model' and you'll find some modern British style buses by Cars Workshop. Most of the double deckers are a bit longer than the usual UK versions, but it shouldn't be too hard to cut and splice as the models are all plastic and largely clip apart. If you have PayPal you can order direct from the site (but have your pop-up blocker switched off or on 'allow from this site'); I've ordered from them several times and only once did it take more than two weeks (less than a week a couple of times).

Thanks, will have a look. Regards Peter

Hi All, I have now put a short video of the layout on Youtube. Now i am sure i can put a link in here, but i dont know how to ! So if you go to Youtube and type in Tillotson Road you should seem it. Its not the best quality as my video camera is about as useless as my ordinary camera. Must buy a new one when funds allow. Regards Peter..

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All, Have now virtualy finished the scenery side of the layout, just the fiddle yard at the back to do and design some kind of lighting pelmet. Will finish off front edge with some kind of moulding and varnish, then fit a black curtain around the 2 sides and front. Will post more pics in due course, please enjoy the following. Please comment good or bad. Regards peter..

post-7214-127625802015_thumb.jpg

post-7214-127625808796_thumb.jpg

post-7214-127625814428_thumb.jpg

post-7214-127625821867_thumb.jpg

Operators view

post-7214-127625827823_thumb.jpg

Archived