Tillotson Road, 'N' Gauge Layout

oggy1953

Hi Peter,

so glad you had the courage to show us your work. I like it. I was at a loss to suggest what should go at the far end but felt it should be something 'up high', like tall trees in a corner of a park, maybe. The church does the job just fine, nice angle, and a good balance for the depot at the other end. On your layout the eye can scan from church, move along the road to the rear, come forward half way along over the bridge, drop down to the station, along the tracks and up again to the depot. Then back again, counting all those houses and the shops! In other words its a comparatively small layout but the eye is led not to simply scan it all in one go. Nice twilight scene too. It deserves to be a popular exhibit.

Steve.

Hi Peter,

so glad you had the courage to show us your work. I like it. I was at a loss to suggest what should go at the far end but felt it should be something 'up high', like tall trees in a corner of a park, maybe. The church does the job just fine, nice angle, and a good balance for the depot at the other end. On your layout the eye can scan from church, move along the road to the rear, come forward half way along over the bridge, drop down to the station, along the tracks and up again to the depot. Then back again, counting all those houses and the shops! In other words its a comparatively small layout but the eye is led not to simply scan it all in one go. Nice twilight scene too. It deserves to be a popular exhibit.

Steve.

Thanks for your kind comments, i'd hoped i had got the scene about right. I intend to run the layout with plenty of action, certainly more than prototypical, so as to entertain Joe Public. If you feel there is plenty else to keep the eye busy, then they shouldnt get bored. Regards..

• 2 weeks later...
I agree that there is not many modern N gauge buses ( as far as i am aware ),

I guess it depends on exactly how modern the busses are one wants, but currently P&D Marsh do a very good kit (their best) of a MCV mk2 metrobus, Cars Workshop offer Daimler Fleetlines (the old LT DMSs) and Plaxton Pointer 2s, Oxford Diecast do a range of rather more dated ones, and Bachmann (under their Scenecraft brand) are about to bring out a range of busses including Bristol VRTs, Leyland Nationals and Leyland Atlanteans - all in N gauge.

G.

I guess it depends on exactly how modern the busses are one wants, but currently P&D Marsh do a very good kit (their best) of a MCV mk2 metrobus, Cars Workshop offer Daimler Fleetlines (the old LT DMSs) and Plaxton Pointer 2s, Oxford Diecast do a range of rather more dated ones, and Bachmann (under their Scenecraft brand) are about to bring out a range of busses including Bristol VRTs, Leyland Nationals and Leyland Atlanteans - all in N gauge.

G.

Hi Grahame, Thanks for the info. I have to admit that i am not too clued up on buses, so i have to see before i buy. I do know that the Oxford diecast range, except for the RM is too old for my layout which is roughly 1985 to 1995 era. I will keep my eyes open at various Exhib's i visit between now and Early November when the layout is due its first outing. I have now competed the rear fiddle yard including the wiring, so will post a pic soon. Regards Peter..

very very nice

Thanks for showing this - if my eyesight was better and my thumbs smaller - I would go "N" - your layout shows what can be achieved - great layout lot's of interest ---- small space.

Thanks

Stuart

very very nice

Thanks for showing this - if my eyesight was better and my thumbs smaller - I would go "N" - your layout shows what can be achieved - great layout lot's of interest ---- small space.

Thanks

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, Yes 'N' gauge is a bit small, good job they dont do British outline in 'T' gauge. Yet!! This will probably be my last venture in this gauge as i want to build something small with Diesel sound and have 3 Bachmann sound locos waiting for something to do. The lure of 'N' for me was the chance to run prototypical length Trains in a small space. Was considering 'OO' in the garden but the weather plus our Boxer dog would be too much of a problem. Regards Peter

• 3 months later...

Its been quite a while since i posted anything on this layout. As our Exhibition is fast approaching ( Nov 6th - Epping Railway Circle ) I thought an up-date was due. The layout is now finished, well if a layout is ever finished :rolleyes: . Now i am about to move it to the Garage next week so as to fit a 'curtain' around the front and sides, and to check all runs OK having moved it. I have built some racking in the garage to store the layout for the winter while i start yet another, small shelf layout / Diorama for my own enjoyment at home, May show it at our next exhib in 2012 if its any good. I have added a photo of my lighting 'pelmets' which are actualy quite bright and were bought cheaply at Ikea. If any of you come to the Epping Exhib at Theydon Bois on the 6th, Please come and say Hello. Regards Peter

post-7214-050247200 1286380261_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thought I would do an update as 'Tillotson Road ' made its debut appearance at last Saturdays Epping Railway Circle Exhib, Theydon Bois. A few teething problems like the rake of HEAs becoming uncoupled at regular intervals, Luckily before the Exhib opened. So wipped those off and substituted a rake of VGAs. No further problem with couplers. Also need to fit point motors in the fiddle yard as 2 operators reaching across each other didn't prove ideal. Not sure how i am going to fit surface mounted motors to N Gauge points, will have a look and if i cant suss it, will ask for help in the appropriate section of this site. Apart fom those couple of things, all went very well. Recieved some nice comments and now have 4 bookings for 2011, at least i've got a few months to sort out the points. Thanks to any members who attended Exhib. Regards Peter.

P.S. Sorry no new pics, my camera packed up on the day. TYPICAL

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Archived