Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Best game of cricket ever?

Clagsniffer

5 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Irish Test Match degenerated into farce. What a shame for all concerned as it spoiled the occasion.

Who is the groundsman at Lord's these days? The number of LBWs and inside edges indicates a pitch that was totally substandard for any form of first class cricket, let alone a match advertised as a "Test Match". If it as been the County Championship, I would expect the pitch inspector to be making a visit.

I don't claim any great expertise, but don't you also get edges and LBW's when you have good seamers bowling in helpful (atmospheric) conditions?

It was very odd, on that same pitch the England No. 11 (County average about 4.6 I think) made 92?

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Irish Test Match degenerated into farce. What a shame for all concerned as it spoiled the occasion.

Who is the groundsman at Lord's these days? The number of LBWs and inside edges indicates a pitch that was totally substandard for any form of first class cricket, let alone a match advertised as a "Test Match". If it as been the County Championship, I would expect the pitch inspector to be making a visit.

It did somewhat spoil the occasion that the wicket was so poor, although I am probably biased being an Ireland fan. It was a perfect storm (no pun intended) of conditions though - overcast, damp, poor light, humid and a sub standard pitch - that meant the tie was heavily biased towards the bowling side. Obviously the weather is out of the control of the groundsman but the pitch could have been better prepared. Makes you wonder about the future of test cricket, as a 4-day test that just got into day 3. Better than the previous one though as I think I am right in saying that the last 4-day test between South Africa and Zimbabwe was wrapped up in less than two days. 

As an aside, if the pitches are similar for The Ashes we could have some very short innings and games! Two poor batting line-ups being hunted down by two excellent bowling attacks could reduce games to a bit of a farce if the pitches are as bowler friendly. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, johnarcher said:

I don't claim any great expertise, but don't you also get edges and LBW's when you have good seamers bowling in helpful (atmospheric) conditions?

It was very odd, on that same pitch the England No. 11 (County average about 4.6 I think) made 92?

Note that I said inside edges, not just edges. I agree that the atmospheric conditions will have played a part as regards swing but that many LBWs indicates a real lack of bounce in the pitch as one would normally expect "good length" deliveries from quick bowlers to be going above stump height.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Being in general a pessimist, and very rarely proved wrong - I was down the pub. Had really thought "sod that" when someone came in and said it was about 70 to go with three wickets left, so I was rather surprised a bit later when someone else wandered in and said 9 to go for one wicket... Some boring so-and-so had been watching the football, quickly got that changed over. Not often something genuinely puts a smile on my face!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Every once in a while, sport gives you something special.

A friend of mine (who is also a very good modeller) was in the tiny crowd on the last day at Headingley in 1981 and was also there today, as was my youngest daughter and her husband to be for their first day at a proper cricket match for his birthday treat.

I was in the shed, trying to solder a kit together and listening on the radio. Hot soldering irons and shaking hands!

Superb innings from Stokes, great backing up for him from several others, and highly emotional stuff.

So Friday was "The day we lost the ashes" according to some. A bit premature!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

OMG!  In the future this will be one of those "Where were you when..." matches. 

I have been trying to decorate the bedroom in this heat, but I had to stop as the tension meant I couldn't hold the brush still.

Definitely a Knighthood looming for Mr. Stokes.  Don't let anyone tell you cricket is boring.

Dave.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

I was pacing the living room, listening to the radio. It was like waiting for my first to be born.

I have to say the birth of my first was more satisfying. I have to.

It would be dangerous to say otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

What would the late Richard Benaud be saying now? I'm sure he would have had some thing to say. Tony Greg would have lost count how many times he would have used "right of the meet of the bat" in that innings. Trying to work with TMS going in the background was very hard today.

Marc 

• Friendly/supportive 2

This thread started with the world cup final. That was enthralling and exciting, but this, for me, shows how for real fascination a great test can trump a great one-day game.

There was what looked like England restricting Australia in helpful conditions, then England could bat (mostly) like idiots in one innings, and then have the tension in their second of, first correcting that with some disciplined batting against fine bowling, with Root, Denly and Stokes, and then, when the latter felt the need, his amazing acceleration.

You don't get all that ebb and flow in 50 overs each.

(Even less so, of course, in 20 overs. As for 100 balls......)

Edited by johnarcher
  • Like 5
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Daughter just got home. She says that she won't need to ever go to see cricket again as it could never be half as good as that!

But it will Tony! That's the beauty of the Great Game.

• Agree 1