Z21 cobalt SS and peco sl -e99

mickey185200

I am using a Z21 controller with track diagram to control my layout but really struggling to configure the three way peco points, sl e99 using cobalt ss surface mounted point motors. I was having the same problem with underboard motors but finally managed to figure that out with some help however the surface mounted seem to be a real problem. 

I can get them to shift left or right but not down the centre road. I have tried changing the lower and higher number points around, shifting direction all the usual things but to no avail.

AM I missing something obvious?

The underboards work with the Z21 confingured high-low then 01 00 10. or 10 00 01 but this does not seem to work on the SS version. 

First this isn't a 'joke' reply.

I had a similar issue configuring a slip on the Z21.

The orientation of the slip on the Z21 app versus that on the layout was different and led to confusion. I spent about 2 hours getting my head around it (literally looking at it from different angles).

Try looking at the point from the back rather than the front, or left rather than right hand side, and then configuring the  motors in the app.

Worth a try?

Regards,

John P

• RMweb Premium

The Z21 app automatically creates two addresses and a "macro" to operate the two motors for the three routes of a 3-way. For example, it sends a point 3 left/point 4 left command for left direction, point 3 right/point 4 left for straight and point 3 right/point 4 right for the right route.

3 and 4 depends upon which motor is a the toe end of the point - but this isn't a problem as the two individual motors can easily be given a unique address on the Z21 app.

So using the 3-way diagram from the Z21 is no good when addressing Cobalt SS/Digital as they work with the SET/RUN switch by listening to commands when in the SET position. Using the 3-way command will set both motors to the last command sent - in the example above, both motors will become #4.

The fix is relatively simple. Create two individual points with the Z21 app and address the motors individually - i.e. #3 & #4

It makes sense to create these two "dummy" points next to the 3-way that you are trying to control and stagger them slightly to represent the two motors of the 3-way.

It's actually easier to visualise this with an asymmetric 3-way, rather than a symmetric 3-way.

Check and test that they work with conventional left/right commands.

Then create the 3 way point with the Z21 app and give them the same two addresses - #3 and #4 in this case.

Then configure the 1/0 settings in the Z21 app for each point so that the two points work in the macros as they should.

The Z21 app has 1/0/0/1 for the two addresses.

The 1/0 setting is so that the left/reverse commands can be synchronised to the orientation/operation of the two motors.

Then remove the two dummy points from the Z21 layout diagram.

Sorted!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1