Kato - do we need a new manufacturer sub-forum?

jjb1970

• RMweb Premium

Title says it all. Kato are one of the giants of the industry, if they have decided to have a real crack at the UK it could be the most significant manufacturer news for years. 

Very exciting, to me Kato remains the gold standard for mechanisms and finish in RTR model trains. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

50 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

...Kato are one of the giants of the industry, if they have decided to have a real crack at the UK it could be the most significant manufacturer news for years...

Their track can already be seen on display for sale in many UK model shops. Do you have information that suggests Kato might produce some UK outline?

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Their track can already be seen on display for sale in many UK model shops. Do you have information that suggests Kato might produce some UK outline?

Apparently they are to make a class 800 and some narrow gauge kettles. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

3 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Apparently they are to make a class 800 and some narrow gauge kettles. 

Already under discussion here:

and here:

Edit: Now due to some merging of multiple topics this last on the Peco forum

Regards, Gerry.

Edited by steam-driven boy
due to some merging of multiple topics

• RMweb Premium

Hopefully this will be the start of a sustained Kato presence in the UK market. Their Eurostar remains an excellent effort despite having been around for twenty odd years. 

• RMweb Premium

I would certainly agree that having Kato (or for that matter Tomix) being discussed in the 'smaller suppliers' section is somewhat amusing given the fact their output is significantly higher than their UK counterparts. Whatever happens, we have some very exciting announcements to enthuse over now. Having a fair few of their products, and appreciate their quality and reliability,  I think we are going to in for a treat

• Agree 2

54 minutes ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

I would certainly agree that having Kato (or for that matter Tomix) being discussed in the 'smaller suppliers' section is somewhat amusing given the fact their output is significantly higher than their UK counterparts. Whatever happens, we have some very exciting announcements to enthuse over now. Having a fair few of their products, and appreciate their quality and reliability,  I think we are going to in for a treat

The point I believe is that the sub-forums are essentially about UK prototype model production, thus what Kato does elsewhere in the world really doesn't matter.

And until Kato at least indicate an intention to do a real selection of different models there really isn't any need to create a sub-forum for what is (at least at this point) essentially one model given the other product is a Peco exclusive.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, mdvle said:

The point I believe is that the sub-forums are essentially about UK prototype model production, thus what Kato does elsewhere in the world really doesn't matter.

And until Kato at least indicate an intention to do a real selection of different models there really isn't any need to create a sub-forum for what is (at least at this point) essentially one model given the other product is a Peco exclusive.

Valid comment, but this assumes that these forums are only interested in locomotives and stock. Accessories such as Unitrack, or the Diotown range, are available and used globally...there are lots of UK modellers which use these products. 

6 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Let's assess the need once products have some updates etc.

Pleased to see that the PECO 009 thread has been moved to the PECO forum, where it belongs (IMO). Which leaves only one announcement here.

And while Kato may cater to other aspects of railway modelling, that hasn't required a separate subforum before now!

• Agree 1

Having been messed about by a 1960s BR addict when running a Hornby selection,I decided to buy a Kato set for a try out.i knew nothing about Japanese Railways but YouTube and Google soon sorted that out.That was about six years ago.

The Hornby is currently in storage but the Kato N Gauge goes from strength to strength.A plan for four trains has reached 40+ and I think it's the best collection I've ever had.

Sadly I don't see me getting to Japan much as I would like!

• Like 1

I am so glad to hear that yet another company has decided to jump into supplying UK outline models, and with the great quality Kato can provide I am sure both initial offerings will feature great detail and smooth running straight from the box.

The relationship with Peco is a sensible move too, given they provide suitable freight and passenger rolling stock already. 009 Train Sets anyone?