From Photo to Model Paint

I have a photo of a wagon I would like to match, which is proving more difficult than first thought and this is a very loaded question.

As complicated as colour matching is, is there a way to match the colour from the photo.

At first I thought using the RBG values, but that's not the way.  Using an on line service I managed to find a colour, however it's more suited for a wall than a model.  Plus I could only thin it by 20% and it may still be too thick for a airbrush.  I guess I could just use a brush.

My searches have come up with a lot of theory, but nothing practical.  What would be the approach?

Cheers

• RMweb Premium

While I appreciate your desire for authenticity, 

I do wonder if you're trying a bit too hard.

How can you be sure the colour in the photo is accurate?

If its an actual photo, variations in the processing

can lead to subtle colour changes.  If it's from a book

or magazine, there may be further slight changes.

There are times when near enough is good enough.

This has been covered many times, colour on photographs is subject to many factors and memory is just as bad!

Paint diagrams can be unreliable if a vague colour is stated, unless a definite one is stated!

Paint it and if you like it good, otherwise try again!

• Agree 2

You both bring valid points, I guess what I needed was a starting point, whilst I did photograph both a model and the real wagon using a grey card rather than auto, my quite happy with the photo I have.  I did come up with a colour that I matched online but that was a house paint colour, so the name does not relate to anything.  I was tempted to buy it but I could not use it in an airbrush.  I guess I could just to the hobby store with the photo and pick a colour, just thought there would be more science to it.

Edited by regme

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 30/07/2019 at 10:58, regme said:

I have a photo of a wagon I would like to match, which is proving more difficult than first thought and this is a very loaded question.

As complicated as colour matching is, is there a way to match the colour from the photo.

At first I thought using the RBG values, but that's not the way.  Using an on line service I managed to find a colour, however it's more suited for a wall than a model.  Plus I could only thin it by 20% and it may still be too thick for a airbrush.  I guess I could just use a brush.

My searches have come up with a lot of theory, but nothing practical.  What would be the approach?

Cheers

From memory, top gear did a car a while ago that they painted in a colour that was matched to the beige on a hearing aid. They took it to a paint store and he used some scanning tool to match it exactly. Maybe that could be an option? Anywhere that mixes paint should be able to do it. 

I thought about that, but then the paint is probably too thick for use in an airbrush, even if I thin it by 20%, I think any more than that the paint starts to loose it's properties.  I should go in and find out.