Greater Glasgow - EMU and DMU information request

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Apologies for bumping this thread, but this may well be the ebst place to ask this question.

I am looking at renumbering a Hornby 101 in all-over blue into a Scottish allocated unit.

Did any 101s carry either GG logo or GG Transclyde while in rail blue? I've seen some pics of them in Blue-Grey with GG Transclyde or just Transclyde, and other units in Blue with GG, but not 101s in Blue.

I've tried looking through the usual collections of photographs, but to no avail.

Edited by JohnR

• RMweb Gold

Hi John,

Yoiu have asked one of the questions that set off my search and this thread!

So far, I've not found any CL101 in Blue with the GG or Transclyde logos.

But, as I've found out relating to other things GG/Transclyde - that does not mean it didn't happen!

Thanks

Phil H

• RMweb Premium

Been having a look and can't seem to find any blue 101s with GG among the pics of them in Glasgow.

GG only was from 1973, were the 101s particularly Glasgow units then?

Also remember, to be certain, you need to be able to see the driver's side - the GG logo was on the driver's side, the other side had the BR arrow as normal.

Edited by keefer

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Scottish Modeller said:

Hi John,

Yoiu have asked one of the questions that set off my search and this thread!

So far, I've not found any CL101 in Blue with the GG or Transclyde logos.

But, as I've found out relating to other things GG/Transclyde - that does not mean it didn't happen!

Thanks

Phil H

I wonder if I could get away with putting a GG logo on one anyway!

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, keefer said:

Been having a look and can't seem to find any blue 101s with GG among the pics of them in Glasgow.

Also remember, to be certain, you need to be able to see the driver's side - the GG logo was on the driver's side, the other side had the BR arrow as normal.

There were certainly quite a few allocated to Eastfield and Hamilton at this time.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, keefer said:

Hi Keefer,

Yes - we had Cl101's at that time, but.....

I thought the GG was applied only to units that had been given the 1/2 life refurbishment?

That program seems to only have been completed by 1976 so would have been post the GG introduction date?

Maybe that's why no one has found any CL101 with the GG logo?

Thanks

Phil H

• Thanks 1

I'm almost certain that the units on the Springburn - Cumbernauld shuttle had GG branding on blue units into the 1980s but I can't find any photo evidence to corroborate my memory. 

I seem to recall seeing units on the South side services in Glasgow Central with the branding, although they were a mix of all blue and the refurbed white/ grey units with blue banding. As I recall the 314s were the first to receive the GG Trans-Clyde branding from new in late 1979 but there were still all blue 303/ 311s around with just GG branding into 1982 and perhaps beyond, so the 101s may have lasted that long as well.

• RMweb Premium

I think the key to this is that the 101s were getting refurbished during this time frame , so most 101s I remember  were in White and Blue livery before going Blue Grey and then in the 80s Orange Black . 

I don't remember seeing any 101s in Blue wit GG logo .  I do remember refurb units in white with GG logo  and I remember seeing 107s in Blue with GG , but then they werent refurbed . 

• 3 months later...