New Hornby Signature and Sovereign packs

JohnR

My pennyworth is that the Sovereign sets are what used to be called train packs and the Signature sets are what used to be called train sets. They’ve merely been “talked up” a bit. There’s nothing wrong with the idea of a good train set to get started with. Many years ago, I bought one to get myself started although I haven’t ever bought one since despite having a ridiculous amount of stock.

• Like 2

Over the years I have purchased at least forty Hornby train packs (train sets are too expensive to ship downunder, unless a true bargain like the Pullman set a couple of years ago with the DCC sound Hall class and eLink for GBP125.00.  I purchased twelve of those sets for stripping and four of the Pullman sets with the "Duke of Gloucester" loco).   I purchased these sets mostly to onsell so the appropriateness of the contents was not so important.  The Hornby train packs to date have generally had contents with a similar theme so that coaches or wagons matched the loco.

The latest packs though show little appropriateness or matching between the contents and the loco supplied.  They are merely a marketing gimmick to flog off overstocked items.  When the Oxford Diecast boss took over the reins the first announcement was no more firesales,  so obviously overstocked items were not going to appear on boxshifters websites at greatly reduced prices.  How else to dispose of them?  I know,  sucker little Johhny into pestering his parents for a new trainset or trainpack irrespective of how appropriate the contents, simply because little Johhny has no idea and quite likely neither do his parents.  It is nothing more than a market tool.  If the packs were discounted then one could select the items wanted and then dispose of those not relevant to his needs.  However, paying basically full retail for each item does discourage this.  A store may get the packs at wholesale and be able to discount to sell individual items,  However, if Joe Average is coughing up retail to buy then he is lumbered with overpriced stock not relevant to his needs.

Yes, the packs in general are not intended for the modeller with a slight modicum of knowledge,  but no doubt Hornby will still find those who know not any better and will buy thinking how wonderful their little TOY trainset is. 

20 hours ago, No Decorum said:

My pennyworth is that the Sovereign sets are what used to be called train packs and the Signature sets are what used to be called train sets. They’ve merely been “talked up” a bit. There’s nothing wrong with the idea of a good train set to get started with. Many years ago, I bought one to get myself started although I haven’t ever bought one since despite having a ridiculous amount of stock.

Not quite, traditionally strain sets and train packs have contained unique items (be it just numbers, or liveries, e.g. M&S BR Blue Flying Scotsman). The Soverign and Singnature sets and packs are merely a repackaging of existing (overstocked/poor selling) items.

• RMweb Gold
On 25/08/2019 at 04:16, robmcg said:

As a kid of maybe 10 yrs old I would have delighted with any of the packs or sets, and would have not cared about the match of region or time, just maybe when older bought more models.  In 1961 we were not so fussy about authenticity... we ran HD LMS Atholl with BR coaches, Bristol Castle the same....

Agreed, but back in the day there was slightly less choice and even less prototype information available.

Mike.

24 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Agreed, but back in the day there was slightly less choice and even less prototype information available.

Agreed, but back in the day we (or was it only me?) just wanted to play trains*. Prototype, schmototype.

* 10-year olds are like that, if they weren't there'd be no Hogwarts Express.

Edited by truffy
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I agree that back in the day, train sets were sometimes comprised of a mis-match of stock. But usually just the cheapest sets! At least they would match the right coaches with the right loco, and PO wagons with Big 4 locos.