RMweb

Elbow Lane. Progress being made on the extension.

dasatcopthorne

• dasatcopthorne changed the title to Elbow Lane. See us at Risex Saturday 18th February.
  • dasatcopthorne changed the title to Elbow Lane. Almost all missing photos have now been restored following RMweb crash.

Back from our appearance at the Risex show on Saturday.

Going by the attendance, visitor numbers seem to be recovering.

Now looking forward to exhibiting at the Basingstoke Show in a couple of weeks.

https://www.basingstokemrs.org/exhibition-2023.html.

Come and say hello if you are there.

Dave.

Edited by dasatcopthorne

• dasatcopthorne changed the title to Elbow Lane. Now looking forward to our appearence at Basingstoke 11/12th Mar.
  • 1 month later...
  • dasatcopthorne changed the title to Elbow Lane. We'll be at the Watford Show on 15th April.

A couple (or is it one) of locos will be making their debut at Watford.

A pair of Class 73s. One is a dummy.

Both have old Lima bodies mounted on new Hornby chassis. The powered one has twin motors fitted the two cut-and-shut chassis.

The non-powered loco has a straight Hornby chassis but the motor bogie has no 'guts' in it.

Due to Hornby's wheels being similar in profile to the old Lima wheels that won't run on Code 75, bothe locos are fitted with Heljan Class 14 wheelsets.

Dave.

20230410_161455.jpg

• Like 8

• dasatcopthorne changed the title to Elbow Lane. Next outing is Faversham in September
  • dasatcopthorne changed the title to Elbow Lane. Gearing up for Faversham Show & New Stock Arrivals

Apart from gearing up for the layout's appearance at the Faversham show in a couple of weeks, there been some new stock arrivals.

Firstly, a Revolution Trains Caroline and a new Heljan 33117 in Faded Blue and weathered. Had a Kernow 33117 so the chip was taken out of this and fitted in the new one. Only change was to have to fit a converter for the old 8 pin chip to fit the new loco's 21 socket. (from Strathpether Jct) No problem with space the fit.

Lastly and my favourite is MLV 68007.

I built/converted this in around late70s/early80s. Some details missing in those days. Long before you could get a Bachmann one.

It used an old Triang motor bogie and has had to be hard wired through an 8 pin breakout board.

Dave.

20230829_173149.jpg

20230829_173232.jpg

20230829_172037.jpg

Edited by dasatcopthorne
  • Like 10

• dasatcopthorne changed the title to Elbow Lane. Preparing for the Beckenham show + Signal box at last.

The layout's next appearance is at the Beckenham & West Wickham show in a week or so.

With the new extension about to start in a couple of weeks, I've been thinking about a second scenic break and for this purpose I've been looking for a signal box to use for this.

What with the South London location etc., I thought a WW11 ARP box would fit the job very well.

After a good few weeks searching I came across this on eBay.

It's etched in laser board and is by CCNC. They offer the choice of having one supplied with stick on brickwork or a raw one to paint yourself.

I decided on the paint it yourself version and here are the bits that have arrived. I've sprayed a corner to see if spraying and then filling the mortar lines with white filler will work.

Watch this space.

Signal box advert.jpg

Signal box advert unpainted.jpg

20230928_114723.jpg

20230928_114749.jpg

Edited by dasatcopthorne
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

I've seen other people have problems with mortar soaking into the surface rather than sitting in the mortar lines. If you want to do it like a traditional plastic kit I think you may find you need to seal the surface first. I'll be interested to see how it turns out.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Was that red primer ? That should prevent paint soaking in.

It's looking good. Now if you provide a little variety in the shade of the bricks.......

Hope to see you at the Beckenham show on the 21st October.

Ray

Edited by wainwright1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Bedlington North said:

That looks really realistic, I like it!

It shows up the bricks and mortar nicely. I presume with that type of brick bonding, this structure was modern enough to have been built with cavity walls.  

Andrew

4 hours ago, Sitham Yard said:

It shows up the bricks and mortar nicely. I presume with that type of brick bonding, this structure was modern enough to have been built with cavity walls.  

Andrew

From the few good close up shots I have found, the brickwork on the kit is wrong. It should have stretchers.

Lets see how many people notice when I exhibit it.

Dave.

• Like 1

Next steps.

The kit has a few things to be desired but I can put up with them.

The floor is etched with floorboards so I'll mount this upside down as it should be concrete.

The brickwork is the wrong style.

The floor was marked with the instruments and levers at the front but the Southern had then at the rear.

I will cut some card to act as a plinth to mount the 'set' of instruments and levers on.

Don't know why I'm bothering really as only the back and one end of the box will be visible.

20230929_194719.jpg

20230929_194730.jpg

20230929_203126.jpg

20230929_203135.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Just a thought, but as you have proved your skill in such matters with the Transit, how about a half relief bus?

Mike.

Thanks for the suggestion Mike. You're not the first, of course, but the first for half a bus.🙂

However. as a matter of principal and as someone that tries to keep clear of trends and cliches, I have vowed to never have a bus on my bridge. Sorry. 🙂🙂

Dave.

• Friendly/supportive 1