GWR 813 - Dean Smokebox Door

Recently I've been having an Agenoria kit of GWR (ex-Port Talbot) Saddle Tank 813 refurbished. She is now nearly complete but my friend and I have reached a snag and need some advice. We are wondering whether 813 should have her smokebox door painted as per my photo below.

I want to represent 813 as she would of been during the late 1920s/early 1930s before she went onto the sales list in 1933 and withdrawn a year later.

47136116701_a68e05ebba_b.jpg

Yes, she's beautifully kept, and a credit to her owners, but that's arguably very much a special occasion level of presentation, and back in the day, as a working shunter in the docks, I suspect its most likely that all the polished metalwork above footplate level would have been painted, and possibly none too many layers of paint either. But maybe we can imagine a royal visit to the docks?

Edited by JimC
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JimC said:

Yes, she's beautifully kept, and a credit to her owners, but that's arguably very much a special occasion level of presentation, and back in the day, as a working shunter in the docks, I suspect its most likely that all the polished metalwork above footplate level would have been painted, and possibly none too many layers of paint either. But maybe we can imagine a royal visit to the docks?

My impression is, some of this 'customisation' is a shed or even crew thing rather than a company practice. ISTR some sheds turned out their locos with certain distinctive features

So, a crew that works often with an individual loco with time on their hands might do such a thing

I doubt Swindon would approve

Richard

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Normal practice would be not to polish anything on the smokebox. (I.e. should be all black)

It does look very much like a "preservation thing", similar to that horrible polished brass rim around the back of the smokebox on the 1400 that got copied by Hattons.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Polished steel rusts very quickly so requires constant cleaning.    Not uncommon in pre grouping days with regular crews but I can't see the crews of a humble shunter bothering post WW1 as rosters were adjusted to take account of progressively  shorter working hours which meant one man one engine became completely impractical.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I would think pre WW1 it may have been possible to see locos polished up like this but uncommon after then.

Also polished safety valve covers I understood after WW1 were down to individuals rather than the norm.

Going off on a tangent would a humble saddle tank loco even be "lettered" in the mid 1920s / early 1930s?

• Like 1

On 02/09/2019 at 13:54, rprodgers said:

Going off on a tangent would a humble saddle tank loco even be "lettered" in the mid 1920s / early 1930s?

813 in the late 1920s/early 1930s.

813A.jpg

813 in her early colliery days at Backworth Colliery. It's truly remarkable you can still see her 'GREAT WESTERN' lettering at this point.

813B.jpg

• Like 3