Arne Wharf

Chris Nevard

With the excellent RAILEX being just a few short weeks away, attention has turned to Arne Wharf as I listen to the Election results coming in.

post-6681-127319528233_thumb.jpg

The little 3ft x 2ft 009 gauge micro has not been out for a couple of years, and what's more it's the only layout of mine that had until today not received a facelift with static grass and Noch Grasmaster.

In addition to new grass, I've updated the built in lighting, the 2 clear blue tinted 100w bulbs being replaced with a 2 ft 18w fluorescent strip and a single central 100 incandescent bulb. Why? Well, the 2 clear blue bulbs were very harsh and created double shadows on everything, and more importantly as they expire it's going to be increasingly difficult to replace them.

The new mix of strip lighting gives me an even cool shadowless base, and the new single 100w providing a slightly warmer 'sun' with just one shadow. The close up shots here was taken under the new lighting - no studio lights! The static grass is also highlighted well here too - so much better than the popular ground foam ground cover which look nothing like grass IMHO ;)

post-6681-127319530538_thumb.jpg

post-6681-127319532405_thumb.jpg

Beautiful! The static grass is a nice touch. And the lighting is very convincing - I think you've hit on a good combinastion there. Do you get any heat build-up with that 100 watt bulb?

And by the way, those boats I saw in other photos - are they removable? A very nice job on those as well.

Cheers - I'll do some shots with stock later...

Q&A responses....

100w heat - not really an issue, there's loads of room around it. Might option for energy saver like on the other layouts, though colour rendition is far better with old fashioned bulbs because there are no spikes and holes in the spectrum to mess up the colours.

Boat are removable - they're shared between 3 of my layouts and it's nice to be able to move them around for photos. I have some pegs (you can just see them below) to hold them in place though.

post-6681-127322821161_thumb.jpg

Above on the patio just lit with daylight we can see the whole 36 inches from left to right. Whilst it's tiny, it will make up for itself by being one of the most brightly lit layouts at RAILEX :lol:

......Whilst it's tiny, it will make up for itself by being one of the most brightly lit layouts at RAILEX :lol:

And I'm sure your halo will be shining brightly too Saint Chris! :lol: :lol:

I always thought Arne Wharf was fab, but it now looks even better for the static grass.... B)

Marc

Jenny - before - just with some rather flattened hanging basket liner....

http://www.nevardmedia5.fotopic.net/p42278283.html

After - also with the addition of moss from the lawn which with a dash of mauve paint looks a little like buddleia maybe?

http://www.nevardmedia5.fotopic.net/p55447179.html

http://www.nevardmedia5.fotopic.net/p55447181.html

Existing bases like flock, ground foam or hanging basket line makes a good base to apply the static grass to so it's never too late to be charmed by the Grasmaster or other variations (but not buffer bottle).

Another snap of Arne Wharf - but with a train (Chivers Finelines Avonside Woolwich Arsenal loco - hence spark arrestor)

gallery_6681_607_247557.jpg

And below; a nod back to Old Quarry Wharf (aka Cement Quay's bit of the side) show more 6.5mm static grass. You 'can' use it between the rails as long as the fibres don't get in between the wheel surface and rail top (though big modern r-t-r diesels will go through anything!).

gallery_6681_606_137325.jpg

In Pedant mode..... NOT Buddleia! more likely Rosebay willow herb, as seen on post-war bomb sites. (I think we saw this discussed to exhaustion during the construction of Catcott).

When my buddleia flowers in a few weeeks, I'll post a picture, it will be about 7feet tall!

Having got that out of the way.. I never cease to be impressed by your modelling, and Photographic skill!

Thanks DonB - I always get mixed up with these things that make me sneeze :D

Below - just remembered this one on Catcott I took the other week to show off static grass (mix of Mini-Natur and Noch 6.5mm 'winter' and 'autumn' grasses).

post-6681-12734013816_thumb.jpg

Brilliant work Chris (only you could be excused a bit of smoke photoshoppery biggrin.gif) - just seen your feature in MODEL RAIL - a good read - Any more exhibition invites (NW England?)

Cheers! The faux clag is the only fake bit, the sky is my kack handed 'Tar brush' backdrop which is really there.

I wrote the bit in Model Rail rather hastilly over a year ago in the small hours, none of the odd brigade have complained strangely enough. Just as well editorial they cut out the body odour bit LOL!! Enough, I'll get into trouble!

Do you have any problems with electrical pickup on your ex L&Y pug? I have five of these locos (four Hornby, one Dapol) and they suffer immensely even with clean wheels and track. I'd love to use them more, and wonder whether you have done anything to yours to get it running more reliably?

Do you have any problems with electrical pickup on your ex L&Y pug? I have five of these locos (four Hornby, one Dapol) and they suffer immensely even with clean wheels and track. I'd love to use them more, and wonder whether you have done anything to yours to get it running more reliably?

You do have to keep the track and wheels very clean which is not such and issue with a little layout like this. I did widen the gauge out very slightly which reduces lateral play and hopefully increases wheel contact. I tend to use a Gaugemaster Feedback handheld controller which helps with these old style units - I guess its zaps a little extra pazaaz in when needed to keep it going!

Q & A s.....

Lighting: yup, you got it, the 100 watt bulb is a sun and to add a touch of relief to the modelling and counteract the slightly cool sterile look that flu tubes on their own produce. It's mounted in a standard bulb mount (Focus/B&Q etc) just underneath the 2 foot flu in the middle behind the nameboard/facia.

The layout is very small so please don't expect a vast vista :lol:

yt3rlj.jpg

Below - another snap taken the day before yesterday - this is exactly what the eye will see if you get in close apart from the fake clag - you'll have to imagine that bit along with fake chuff chuff sounds 'co it aint DCC :D

post-6681-127356256897_thumb.jpg

Oblibatory caption based on old tosh (well the return to the UK bit which of course is total rubbish) A Roxey Mouldings 'Famagusta' Cyprus Govt Rly 2-6-2T built by Nasmyth, Gaskell and Company of Salford, pulls a short passenger train of second hand european origin through Arne Wharf (009) in 1962. Built in 1904 for mixed traffic on the 2ft 6in gauge Cyprus Government Railway, when the railway closed in 1959 it was repatriated to the UK and ended up in Dorset. Somewhere on the way the UK the handrails were mislaid!

I'm noticing a certain family resemblance in these projects.

Very nice indeed.

I just wish I could make myself happy with a 'small' project layout like that instead of designing the great big impractical never-to-be-finished ones I seem to.

Did you visit Arne for research Chris? - We had many a good family holiday in the area of Corfe Castle and the beaches at Studland Bay - not to mention trips on the the Swanage Railway and "refreshments" at the Halfway House Inn at Stoborough laugh.gif

Did you visit Arne for research Chris? - We had many a good family holiday in the area of Corfe Castle and the beaches at Studland Bay - not to mention trips on the the Swanage Railway and "refreshments" at the Halfway House Inn at Stoborough laugh.gif

Sort of, we have friends who live right opposite on the north side of Poole Harbour with a telescope. That, and some very thick rimmed rose tinted glasses, a touch of Disney and a few parallel universes help ;)

Sort of, we have friends who live right opposite on the north side of Poole Harbour with a telescope. That, and some very thick rimmed rose tinted glasses, a touch of Disney and a few parallel universes help wink.gif

Your friends are very fortunate - do you mean Sandbanks? biggrin.gif .............how about modelling an extension to include industrial oil operations of some sort at Furzebrook? (I think that is what it is......)

Archived