Arne Wharf

Chris Nevard

Chris, when you look back at earlier projects like this do you notice things you would have done differently? What mistakes did you make?

Often this sort of info can be just as useful as the 'here's how I did it' stuff. smile.gif

Posh friends - nah - Hamworthy!

Things different: not too much other than not recycle 30 year old baseboard and beef it up with MDF (ply is far better) - it weighs a ton! Solid as a rock though! Pretty happy with the rest of it. I do need to add some more isolating sections before RAILEX, luckly it's just a matter of breaking a couple of track feeds with on/off switches to acheive the result if I have some spare time.

I'm modifying the fiddle yard on he right and junking the cassettes - they're far too fiddly. In its place will 360 deg sector plate with 4 or 5 roads. Or, I might add 6 inches to the rear and have some conventional loops instead - I make it up as a go along - far more fun! With less than 3 weeks we shall see.......

009 to me is just to have a bit of whimsical fun free from historical accuracy, It's unlikely I'll have time before RAILEX but I have 3 of these Bachmann Zillertal carriages and I quite fancy stripping them down and treating them to look like dark varnished wood for that Skandinavian effect.

See this link: Wooden train carriage

post-6681-127358656267_thumb.jpg

Chris,

If you ever get round to visiting Adrian to photo LEYSDOWN I think you should indulge in a little arm-twisting and get him to invite Arne Wharf to the Uckfield show biggrin.gif

Kev

Adrian's been tryng since 2003 without luck - I just don't get the time for 2 day shows - RAILEX being an exception because we have close family nearby........ :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

It's all rush for the weekend at RAILEX now......

New traverser fiddle yard to replace the silly cassettes.... and that's one of the carriages used for the below afternoon project....

post-6681-12749104171_thumb.jpg

I didn't think I'd have time to do this; a Bachmann Zillertalbahn carriage which has been stripped of its gawdy fairground livery and replaced with that of tired old varnished wood. The tram is scratchbuilt onto a Kato Shortie chassis

post-6681-12749102863_thumb.jpg

post-6681-127491036558_thumb.jpg

The colouring on the coach looks quite well, but why not add vertical matchboarding to the side below the waist? Given the thickness of the rivet strips (and it would probably be best to loose the rivets at least on the waist band if you did) it should be possible and then they would match in with the 4-wheelers better. It's very Scandinavian too.

Hi Chris,

Your layout looks superb for the refresh and the comparison shots really show the grass to good effect. I had a really good read through and enjoy seeing and reading about your work when it appears in model rail as there are some really useful tips and advice to be learnt - I really like the grass and weeds around the tracks and I have found really inspiration from your techniques which will help me on my own layout Rannoch especially the front sidings. I have read about the old clay tramways that ran around the Swanage branch and down to the shore of the Harbour and as a child use to spend school holidays in Hamworthy and my great aunt when she was alive had a beach hut on Hamworthy park with views across to Arne so know the real location and you certainly capture the atmosphere of what could have been at the real location which makes everything look so convincing.

Thanks,

Mark

At last the little trainset is ready for Railex you'll be pleased to know (yawn). Shortly the house will return to normal as tools are put away (well for a few days anyway) and the floors made free of all the usual detritus that follows model railways around. Smudgie on the right will also be pleased to get 'her' room back too.

post-6681-127506628764_thumb.jpg

Good luck with the show!,the layout looks amazing .

Love the shot of the whole layout ,and so well light.

It's just full of detail and the grass looks very good.

All the best

Darren

It is a beautiful layout - I very much enjoy all new photos as they come along. Good luck with the show, I'm sure it will go well.

One question though: How is the layout supported. In this last photo I see two legs in the front - but what's holding up the back? In the first photo in this thread it was sitting on a table, but now I'm curious.

• 1 year later...

It is a beautiful layout - I very much enjoy all new photos as they come along. Good luck with the show, I'm sure it will go well.

One question though: How is the layout supported. In this last photo I see two legs in the front - but what's holding up the back? In the first photo in this thread it was sitting on a table, but now I'm curious.

Not that I've seen it before, but I think the first Photo you was on about was sitting on an Ironing Board and I suspect the latest was sitting a on a Tri-pod kind of thing, 2 leegs at the front, and a leg at the back maybe.

Cheer, Robert

Archived