Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Imaginary Locomotives

• RMweb Gold

Reminds me of the Southern USA tanks...

If wiki is right, then the 1500 panniers were based on the S100s below the footplate, with a 9400 style top half :)

I imagined a BR shunter would have been based on the 1500 as it was quite a modern design.

Weren't the BR Standard 9F 2-10-0, originally planned to be a 2-8-2 with larger driving wheels? I ask this because one of the other members of the MRC has a model of one... I'll try get a picture next time he brings it to a running night...

Yes, a 5'3" wheel 2-8-2 which was a direct equivalent to a Britannia, not requiring yet another boiler design! (For a supposed 'standardiser' Riddles was a profligate in boiler variation.) Everything about this design looks right,and balanced for near 20T on each coupled axle just as a Britannia, would have superior adhesive weight to the 9F as built. Every reason to believe this should have been just as tractively capable a unit as the 9F, but with the benefit of the larger ashpan in particular conferring greater range. That's a future build potential perhaps, as it could operate on the national network.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

There seems to have been plans by the genius/lunatic (delete as appropriate!) that was Oliver Bullied for a whole family of locos based on the Q1 including tank locos and a 4-6-2 Pacific!!!! The drawings do exist, and Hornby Q1s can be picked up reasonably cheaply if you are not too fussy about condition at the moment...

Hmmmm.....u

IIRC the idea for the Q1 based tank was Bullied's answer to the SR boards plea for him to come up with something to replace the elderly and M7 & H tanks that were the mainstay of the SRs push-pull operations. While outline designs were prepared for said engines, Bullied wasn't really interested in such mundane things and preferred to concentrate on his pacifics and then his Leader concept instead and the boards request for simple, modern tank engines rather got forgotten about....

Edited by phil-b259

• RMweb Premium

Yes, a 5'3" wheel 2-8-2 which was a direct equivalent to a Britannia, not requiring yet another boiler design!

Interestingly, in Living with London Midland Locomotives, A.J. Powell (a man well versed in real life traction needs) proposed two classes of 2-8-2 for the post-WWII LMR: a 5' 6" 7P9F using the Britannia boiler and a lighter 5' 3" 6P7F using the Clan boiler, for operation on weight-restricted routes.  AFAIR he doesn't actually get round to commenting on the Clan, but as his Jubilee rebuilt as a Pacific using a Brit boiler would surely render it superfluous we're getting back to boiler profligacy again :(  Perhaps a simple shortening of the Brit boiler's front ring would have sufficed for a light 2-8-2?

• RMweb Gold

Yes, a 5'3" wheel 2-8-2 which was a direct equivalent to a Britannia, not requiring yet another boiler design! (For a supposed 'standardiser' Riddles was a profligate in boiler variation.) Everything about this design looks right,and balanced for near 20T on each coupled axle just as a Britannia, would have superior adhesive weight to the 9F as built. Every reason to believe this should have been just as tractively capable a unit as the 9F, but with the benefit of the larger ashpan in particular conferring greater range. That's a future build potential perhaps, as it could operate on the national network.

Colin Packer and RedgateModels have both done their takes on this...

IMG_3509_zps8a5c694c.jpg

blogentry-6717-0-04524100-1309690254_thu

• Like 9

• 6 months later...

i know theres been many of these about but i thought of giving it a go myself, a merger of an 8f and a BR 4mt tank. i was thinking about it because a loco of this size would be just right for a heavy branch tank for busy heritage lines such as the worth valley

post-9948-0-93746200-1427016516_thumb.jpg

regards, Sam.

• Like 9

i know theres been many of these about but i thought of giving it a go myself, a merger of an 8f and a BR 4mt tank. i was thinking about it because a loco of this size would be just right for a heavy branch tank for busy heritage lines such as the worth valley

attachicon.gif2-8-4.jpg

regards, Sam.

Cracking idea. Perhaps it would have helped out in the South Wales coal fields?

I would have thought it would be a little excessive for the KWVR, but great operationally for the West Somerset Railway or NYMR who run longer trains over a greater distance.

Only just found this topic. I am able to say that I, just, remember Major Tommy Lawson, who was Works Manager at the Lambton Engine Works post-war, and I am sure would have understood and appreciated some of the ideas in the 'Lambton Tank' concept above. See the Mountford/IRS publications, including Lawson's 'pannier tank': bits from two 0-6-0 tender engines and and 0-6-0ST, numbered 6; and no 44 on the Hetton system, a rebuild of a Manning Wardle with side tanks, with 'fake' taper boiler and fake Belpaire firtebox et al - really a prototype for all!. The incredibly ancient 0-6-0 tender engine, with welded tank tenders, tender cabs and double window glazed engine cab, (No 9) also worth a look - or a hack?. Incidentally, Lawson also built live steam 'models' - not sure of the gauges as I was very young, but I think 5 inch, 7 and a half inch, that sort of thing.Some of them were exhibited in the Durham Light Infantry Museum in, I think, the early Seventies, although I don't think they were acquired for the collection. My father told me they once set a track out at Philadelphia and found Lawson's locomotives remarkably capable at pulling full size wagons ( once details like the angle of pull on the drawbar was solved - I think, but I was only a kid at the time, some sort of barrier wagon was improvised).

We knew him because my great grandfather, Sam Tulip, was Chief Engineer of the Lambton Hetton and Joicey from 1897-1935, and his son Winston Leonard Tulip from then until 1960 (NOT Walter, as Colin Mountford has it - my grandfather typically initialled WLT and I can see how people taking notes might re-read that as Walter - Colin knows this but the IRS books were already in print when I spotted the error).

Back to your tank - Tommy clearly enjoyed putting 'modern'. even 'fashionable' features on engines he rebuilt out of available bits - just like you, sir. Please, carry on the tradition!

Sam Tulip

• Like 2

i have my own standard 2-8-2 and the caprotti version of the standard class 5....

post-23520-0-16954300-1427157811.jpg

but how about Gresley's proposed R2 steam, diesel, compressed air loco?

post-23520-0-94872800-1427158009_thumb.jpg

I made the etches for myself and built the kit as an exercise in: can i?

Richard

• Like 13

i know theres been many of these about but i thought of giving it a go myself, a merger of an 8f and a BR 4mt tank.

The all-LMS version practically builds itself. Just take a Stanier 2-6-4T and insert the 8F running gear, in place of the '2-6'. It immediately looks right, there was one operating on an exhibition layout in the 1980s and the builder (name escapes me) told me that very few people actually 'called it' as a 'neverwazza'.

... the caprotti version of the standard class 5....

Not just Caprotti but also Crosti! Unfortunately about to have a collision with the little red sports car streaking into the foreground view, whose driver has totally lost it with the nearside front wheel a foot off the road. He's going to broadside into the ballast shoulder and park the car on the four foot, five yards ahead of the 5MT's bogie...

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D
  • Like 2

I remember the book mentioned. I am sure I had a copy at one time but think I might have sold it.  The LMS electric loco(crocodile?) pulling passenger train out of Euston woulfd make an interesting model, and attract attention at exhibitions.

A few years ago I built up one of the Dapol(ex Airfix) railbuses and painted it in blue, and it looked pretty good. I also painted up an old Pacer unit in green with whiskers which was OK.

It would be controversial but how about some BR steam locos in Blue with double arrow sign. Idea would be that steam was not scrapped in 1968. The VOR locos did not look too bad painted that way.

• Like 1

Awesome! Do you have any pics of your mikado?

Here is it is a britannia top with 9f fittings, with Bachmann 9f bottom half minus the last set of drivers and a britannia pony it was the easiest of the ones to make....once the weight had been filled back (a lot) to fit in the body.

post-23520-0-53680200-1427218623_thumb.jpg

And the car is coming around the corner too fast on the crosti caprotti picture. It has now been moved to its proper place on the road over bridge.

Also have the bits left over from the std5 to make the proposed std 2-8-0. Just the proposed std 0-6-0 to work out parts for it.

Richard

• Like 6

I remember the book mentioned. I am sure I had a copy at one time but think I might have sold it.  The LMS electric loco(crocodile?) pulling passenger train out of Euston woulfd make an interesting model, and attract attention at exhibitions.

A few years ago I built up one of the Dapol(ex Airfix) railbuses and painted it in blue, and it looked pretty good. I also painted up an old Pacer unit in green with whiskers which was OK.

It would be controversial but how about some BR steam locos in Blue with double arrow sign. Idea would be that steam was not scrapped in 1968. The VOR locos did not look too bad painted that way.

As you've seen, it has been done and I'm building one as we speak

post-8963-0-35311700-1427222547.png

:P

Edited by Sylvian Tennant
  • Like 9

...Also have the bits left over from the std5 to make the proposed std 2-8-0.   Just the proposed std 0-6-0 to work out parts for it...

But why stop there? Take the DoG boiler as a basis, and build Turbomotive 2. Turbine tech had advanced over the 1930s, and it had also been realised that a significantly smaller driving wheel diameter was sensible as it required a smaller gear reduction, and made a  4-8-4 layout practical within the same wheelbase as a big wheel pacific.

• Like 4

And the car is coming around the corner too fast on the crosti caprotti picture. It has now been moved to its proper place on the road over bridge.

Is the car being used as a bus substitute? That's the place reserved on all layouts for the token bus - I think it's Rule 105 subsection XVIa.

BTW I do like the Mikado.

Dave

edit for spelling

Edited by Devo63