Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Imaginary Locomotives

Bulleid 2-8-2

This is my take on a Bulleid 2-8-2 fast goods engine made from a splice of Dapol Battle of Britain and 9F kits....

Unfortunately the varnish bloomed and made a total mess of the entire paint job, it will be re-transferred and varnished another day but here it is so far.

No, no, no: is perfect. It's just had a major lagging fire put out...

Is that an 8F boiler on an ROD footplate?

Entire ROD frames, wheelsets, engines, footplate carrying 8F boiler and cab. A reasonable parallel to the LNER's process of steadily upgrading their Robinson 2-8-0s as boilers came to end of life. (Detail matters of whether the frame spacing wiuld allow the foundation ring to fit may be glossed ovrr in model form.)

• Like 4

The South Eastern had this 4-2-0 tank:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fa/Great_Exhibition%2C_No_136_Folkstone_by_HF_Talbot%2C_1851.jpg

Based on Crampton's ideas.

Maybe the GWR tried the same thing? :nono:

Keith

Cheers Kieth,

That is a funny looking little locomotive although not quite as bunched up as my contraption is. Fun for a left over bits special though.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Another thing inspired by Mr. Cornish, and based on this drawing:

post-898-0-92713800-1542577075.jpg

Wondering if my railway company would have refurbished their WD 2-8-0s upon purchase? There's only 2 of them in the loco stud so it's not quite the same as BR's vast disposable fleet.

Prettier cab, chimney, top feed cover, tender sides.

post-898-0-10476300-1542577657.jpg

Also looking back at the concept images for the Woolworth kitbuilds for the NWR, and how they turned out (more in my cobblin' thread)

Concept from and inspired by this thread.

post-898-0-71629100-1542577306.jpg

post-898-0-87879500-1542577384.jpg

Completed

post-898-0-82512800-1542577347_thumb.jpg

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Mr Cornish's LNER looking version and your photo of (presumably) the LMS's effort shows that there is a handsome locomotive hiding not far beneath the surface of a WD 2-8-0.  Can't remember where I read this, as it was a long time ago, but apparently Riddles was concerned about the possibility of adverse comment on the appearance of his locos, and was advised to provide them with a silly little chimney, with the idea of comment focussing on that and ignoring the loco's other brutalities.

Personally, I rather liked the WDs, on the basis that that amount of ugliness is it's own sort of beauty, a concept that helps me cope with looking into mirrors...

• Like 1

...Wondering if my railway company would have refurbished their WD 2-8-0s upon purchase? There's only 2 of them in the loco stud so it's not quite the same as BR's vast disposable fleet. Prettier cab, chimney, top feed cover, tender sides.

The most functional aspect is the cab with extra side window and wind deflector. Wouldn't have been expensive, a little surprised that the footplate crews didn't get their unions to pressure BR into this minor upgrade.

I like the WD 2-8-0 for its honesty, a no nonsense cheap machine for the job at hand, and feel it was an inspired choice by Bachmann among their early 'Blue Riband' introductions.

Love the work of V Cornish, as I think I've mentioned.

And I agree with 34. The WD 2-8-0 is pure pragmatism and practicality in locomotive form. It did its job, did it well and did it consistently, which really is all you ask of a locomotive.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist

• RMweb Gold

I agree about the cab, although in the event they may well have just cut more windows in the WD cab, who knows?

I amended the photoshop later to have non-riveted tender sides and instead just have the top valances/fire iron tunnels riveted on. The chimney and top feed covers are fairly minor cosmetic changes in comparison.

• RMweb Gold

Possibly a good one to use would be the Bachmann Percy/NotPercy chassis as the motor is tiny and mounted vertically in the middle of the chassis, so might fit into the tanks well and leave room to fit the boiler cradle mounts.

post-898-0-25530400-1542637480.png

If you look at the below image, you can imagine the motors living inside the water tanks/bunker.

post-898-0-45042700-1542637460.png

• Like 2

Sublime and Ridiculous 

Here is my bashed City of Truro kit, I see it as an inside cylinder forerunner of Dean's 100 class that was developed alongside the Aberdare 2-6-0 although it caries the short cone boiler of No. 98. The eight wheel tender is to give balance to its massive main frames, because Great Bear had one and because it looks good.

Boiler Pressure 200 lbs

Cylinders 18.5" X 26"

Driving Wheels 6' 8.5"

Tractive Effort 18792 lbs

I have yet to fit its coupling rods which will be fitted after painting so that I don't paint it all solid. The coupling rods will be cut from plasticard rather than splicing the rods from the kits.

attachicon.gifDSCF0515.JPG

Sublime

Here is what I made from the bits left over.

No leading dimensions given.

Laugh away !!!

attachicon.gifDSCF0516.JPG

Ridiculous

Gibbo.

Like your take on the Late Dean/Early Churchward 4-6-0.

I started on something similar a while ago, but haven't extended the firebox, so the boiler looks even longer and weedier....

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_10_2018/post-21933-0-03000100-1538652586.jpg

It still hasn't been painted...

• Like 1

More 'maginary machines.

This one a rebuild of a Webb Coal Tank. Larger, tapered boiler with Belpaire firebox, higher pitch. Extended water and coal capacity. Boiler fittings reduced in height.

attachicon.gifCoal Tank Rebuild 1.jpg

Also this (probably final) iteration of the 2-8-0 rebuild into a tank loco.

attachicon.gifNWR-5MT-tank-5.jpg

Very fantastic! I also did plan an LNWR Webb 0-4-4T tank locomotive at some point.

• RMweb Premium

Three solutions there sir:

1 stick a self tapping screw into the hole with plenty of boswhite around it

2 buy a new back boiler

3 fabricate a new back boiler.

My Rayburn was fitted with a large 48K Btu back boiler about 10 years ago. It was 316 grade stainless, and pinholed one morning at the end of the season about three years back. I just drained the system and the house took a bit of a cold turn. With the help of a friend the stainless boiler was lifted out and then a new one was made in 6mm steel plate and powerstation boiler tubes. This has increased the surface area by about 40% making it much more effiecent...

Messy job though, especially as mine is a solid fuelled one!

Andy G

Three solutions there sir:

1 stick a self tapping screw into the hole with plenty of boswhite around it

2 buy a new back boiler

3 fabricate a new back boiler.

My Rayburn was fitted with a large 48K Btu back boiler about 10 years ago. It was 316 grade stainless, and pinholed one morning at the end of the season about three years back. I just drained the system and the house took a bit of a cold turn. With the help of a friend the stainless boiler was lifted out and then a new one was made in 6mm steel plate and powerstation boiler tubes. This has increased the surface area by about 40% making it much more effiecent...

Messy job though, especially as mine is a solid fuelled one!

Andy G

Hi Andy,

The new-ness has worn off so its a new one on order... only £750 !!!

Options 1 and 3 too much like hassle for my liking.

Gibbo.

A bit more OT cooker stuff:

Don't be put off by the Aga or Rayburn distributors condemming them - our 1951 Aga with back boiler (converted to gas 25 years ago) was badmouthed by all in thelate  summer when I looked around for a service after a 3 month shut down.

I found a 'Gas Safe' engineer who came to my rescue with some straight (no 'salesmanship') common sense fettling. Fingers crossed it's been as reliable as ever since.

More On Topic

I found this interesting book a few weeks back.itemising Chapelon's reworking of compounds (I'd always found descriptions of Chapelon's 'internal streamlining' a bit simplistic).

There is a lot more exotica in the book as well for good measure.

dh

Don't be put off by the Aga or Rayburn distributors condemming them - our 1951 Aga with back boiler (converted to gas by us about  25 years ago) was badmouthed by all in the late  summer when I looked around for a service after a 3 month shut down.

I found a 'Gas Safe' engineer who came to my rescue with some straight (no 'salesmanship') common sense fettling. Fingers crossed it's been as reliable as ever since.

More On Topic

I found this interesting book a few weeks back.itemising Chapelon's reworking of compounds (I'd always found descriptions of Chapelon's 'internal streamlining' a bit simplistic).

dh

Don't be put off by the Aga or Rayburn distributors condemming them - our 1951 Aga with back boiler (converted to gas 25 years ago) was badmouthed by all in thelate  summer when I looked around for a service after a 3 month shut down.

More On Topic

dh

Hi DH

My Rayburn was second hand from eBay and has done long enough to be cost effective at only £250.00 to start with. Not so much a surprise as an inconvenience that it is now a demic. However, the entire contents of the central heating flooding out of the ash raking door was a good clue that I ought to buy a new water jacket. Tilled floor no problems just mopping up !

As for boilers I fixed this earlier, when I say earlier the job would have been done sometime around 1997. The fire was knocked out and the job done sitting on planks so that we didn't cook ourselfs on the heat from the brick arch. The engine is very likely 45337 as it has seven flues across the tube bank making it a 28 element super-heater (4X7) and therefore is not 45407 which has a 24 element super-heater (3X8).

post-34584-0-50161100-1543343631_thumb.jpg

Thanks to all for the kind words and advise regarding my problematic heating system !

Gibbo.

• Like 2

I lived in a house with a Rayburn, in West Cornwall, for some years and you can keep it! My late mother was SO happy, and so was I, when a windfall of some sort enabled her to ditch the 1930s back boiler in her house, and get a gas-fired central heating (partial) setup instead. No more filling coal buckets on wet, cold evenings! No more shovelling out stinky ash with occasional embers, from the grate!