Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Imaginary Locomotives

• RMweb Gold

More 'maginary machines.

This one a rebuild of a Webb Coal Tank. Larger, tapered boiler with Belpaire firebox, higher pitch. Extended water and coal capacity. Boiler fittings reduced in height.

post-898-0-28851900-1542327526.jpg

Also this (probably final) iteration of the 2-8-0 rebuild into a tank loco.

post-898-0-89154700-1542328492_thumb.jpg

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 7

More 'maginary machines.

This one a rebuild of a Webb Coal Tank. Larger, tapered boiler with Belpaire firebox, higher pitch. Extended water and coal capacity. Boiler fittings reduced in height.

attachicon.gifCoal Tank Rebuild 1.jpg

Also this (probably final) iteration of the 2-8-0 rebuild into a tank loco.

attachicon.gifNWR-5MT-tank-5.jpg

Sorry Corbs, but you peaked at the Monsterous Q1 version.

By far the best chunky-munky tank engine yet.

Gibbo.

... I also measured my 8F vs my O4, and it seems that the difference in length between 3rd and 4th axles is about 6 inches (2mm ish in 4mm scale).

O4 has an even coupled wheelbase and 8F has uneven, but overall length of coupled wheelbase is very similar...

In case you don't have it, the O4's coupled wheelbase is 5' 8.5" + 5' 5.5" + 5' 11". (I imagine Gorton were proudly demonstating that their plate shop's metrology kit could measure to the half inch...)

• RMweb Gold

Sorry Corbs, but you peaked at the Monsterous Q1 version.

By far the best chunky-munky tank engine yet.

Gibbo.

Well I can't say I'm surprised that you liked the chunkiest version ;)

In case you don't have it, the O4's coupled wheelbase is 5' 8.5" + 5' 5.5" + 5' 11". (I imagine Gorton were proudly demonstating that their plate shop's metrology kit could measure to the half inch...)

Aha! Thanks for the info, so it is uneven after all!

I like the "final iteration" of the 2-8-4T but wonder how it would look with a Stanier rather than traditional Derby cab?

The Stanier cab version is in the post above the last one :)

• Like 1

Sublime and Ridiculous 

Here is my bashed City of Truro kit, I see it as an inside cylinder forerunner of Dean's 100 class that was developed alongside the Aberdare 2-6-0 although it caries the short cone boiler of No. 98. The eight wheel tender is to give balance to its massive main frames, because Great Bear had one and because it looks good.

Boiler Pressure 200 lbs

Cylinders 18.5" X 26"

Driving Wheels 6' 8.5"

Tractive Effort 18792 lbs

I have yet to fit its coupling rods which will be fitted after painting so that I don't paint it all solid. The coupling rods will be cut from plasticard rather than splicing the rods from the kits.

post-34584-0-51480300-1542397809_thumb.jpg

Sublime

Here is what I made from the bits left over.

No leading dimensions given.

Laugh away !!!

post-34584-0-88818800-1542397848_thumb.jpg

Ridiculous

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
  • Like 7

Bullied 2-8-2

This is my take on a Bullied 2-8-2 fast goods engine made from a splice of Dapol Battle of Britain and 9F kits.

The locomotive carries the same boiler as the WC/BoB class locos and also has three cylinders driven by Mr Bullied's derivation of Walschaerts valve gear although later locos of the class will received Caprotti gear not apparent without a pit road. The axle loadings are 11 tons on the each of the trucks and 16.5 tons upon the driving wheels the total weight of the locomotive being 88 tons.  The loco is in semi austerity casing with a front end that has a modified smoke deflecting shroud similar in principle to the ones fitted to various A3's of the LNER. Following a mistake in the drawing offices the wheels were cast using ordinary straight spokes instead of the Bullied Firth Brown wheel type.

The tender is styled as were the tenders of the Q1's and hold 5 tons of coal and 4500 gallons of water.

Leading dimensions are;

• Grate area 38.5 square feet.
  • Evaporative surface 2122 square feet.
  • Superheater area 545 square feat.
  • Boiler pressure 280 lbs.
  • Driving wheels, 5' 3".
  • Cylindes 14.5 " X 24"
  • Tractive effort, 28594 lbs.
  • Adhesion factors, 5.17.
  • Route availability 5

Unfortunately the varnish bloomed and made a total mess of the entire paint job, it will be re-transferred and varnished another day but here it is so far.

post-34584-0-99471400-1542403358_thumb.jpg

post-34584-0-53512200-1542403404_thumb.jpg

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
  • Like 10

The single looks damnably like the classic Hornby train-pack tank.   Feasable, too.

Hi AlfaZ,

It might have looked better as a 2-2-2 but then it would have been a Crewe type which wouldn't go down well at Swindon. Tricky call there.

The fire box and ash pan is a close run hing with the driving axle, I'm not quite sure where the cranks and eccentrics would fit and as such it may be reworked.

I see the similarity also in the shape of the boiler with the Hornby GWR 0-4-0..

Gibbo.

I love it.

Potential name for the small one - Ciotru?

Hi Corbs,

Too Italian, how about go a little more Latin with Parvares for the small one ?

For the 4-6-0 I think Mephistopheles Class because it is Greek as opposed to Latin and it is a beast !

Gibbo.

• RMweb Premium

The name Truro may derive from Cornish tri-veru, meaning three rivers, though this is disputed. However, this could be appropriate for a locomotive with three driving axles - perhaps in full Cornish: Cyta o Tri Veru is my constructed version based on Wikipedia, an online bilingual dictionary, and a bit of Welsh - so I await correction!

• Like 1

It’s not as clever as that, I’m afraid...

CIty Of TRUro

I’ll get my coat...

Hi Corbs,

Parvares is an amalgam of the Latin words,  parvus; small and a truncation of the word residentiae; residence. A city is made up of lots of buildings or residences quite the opposite of a small house on its own.

This is what happens to you if you have not got a television !

Gibbo.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The GWR made a 4-2-4 tank, no.9, in the 1880s. It was standard gauge, but likely they got the idea from some broad guage B&E engines they’d inherited. It had a terrible reputation for falling off the rails, and was rebuilt as a straight 2-2-2 tender engine. The other thing about was it had Stephensons valvegear hanging off the outside. Now you could suppose the problems had been resolved, that it had outside frames, and stayed around long enough to gain a taper boiler, and use the City bits and pieces to make a tank engine? The placing of the driver vis a vis the firebox shouldn’t be such a problem, just getting at the valvegear under the tank.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Corbs,

Parvares is an amalgam of the Latin words,  parvus; small and a truncation of the word residentiae; residence. A city is made up of lots of buildings or residences quite the opposite of a small house on its own.

This is what happens to you if you have not got a television !

Gibbo.

Get a television, get a television!

• RMweb Premium

Sublime and Ridiculous 

Here is what I made from the bits left over.

No leading dimensions given.

Laugh away !!!

attachicon.gifDSCF0516.JPG

Ridiculous

Gibbo.

The South Eastern had this 4-2-0 tank:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fa/Great_Exhibition%2C_No_136_Folkstone_by_HF_Talbot%2C_1851.jpg

Based on Crampton's ideas.

Maybe the GWR tried the same thing? :nono:

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

It's exhibited without its tender. Unusual for a Crampton in being inside-cylindered, with some curious arrangement to transmit the thrust of the inside piston rods to the outside connecting rod.