Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Imaginary Locomotives

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Niels said:

Strasburg, Pennsylvania

Museum in Amish land

Just across the road from the Strasburg Railway, a short line whic also runs regular steam trains during much of the year and features on Virtual Railfan cameras

Museum website:

https://rrmuseumpa.org/

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

You left out the water tube boiler and a rigid frame like the Duplexii, with Bulleid's bicycle chain gear driving sleeve valves; all in oil fired cab forward configuration. May as well get all the bad news over in one go.

We're back to steampunk!

• Funny 2

6 minutes ago, RLBH said:

Ah! With an on-board Babbage engine to work out the optimum timings of valve events and optimise the regulator and cutoff settings. Perfect!

An engineer by name of James Little began his training under Bulleid at Inchicore and wanted to use transistor logic to this very end. However this came to nothing as his career segued into telecoms, where there was somewhat more enthusiasm for electronics.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, rodent279 said:

Nicely done, sir....:D

Why, thank you, sir.  I don't always get the appreciation I truly deserve, although that may be just as well...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Funny 4

5 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Interesting drawing of the Challenger, above. The quite vast size of the firebox, is clearly shown; longer than the boiler tubes, in fact. 

Hi Mr Shovel,

The size of crown sheet of the rebuilt Royal Scots of the LMS generated approximately 75% of the total volume of the steam with the tube bank approximately 10%. The proportion of flues to tubes within the tube bank is generally an indicator of the degree of super heat applied to the boiler, prolonged heavy steam use required more super heat compared with stop-start pick up goods and light passenger work. The size of the crown sheet also dictated the volume of the combustion chamber above the brick arch which assisted in the full combustion of the volatiles given off by the fire bed allowing them to be as hot as possible before entering the tube bank. Once the combustion gasses enter the tube bank they are generally extinguished and give up their heat to the super heater elements that dry the steam giving it extra heat energy and reducing the requirement to produce steam and so reducing water consumption.

Gibbo.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold

1 of your 5 a day, Ian...

As well as Peter Lord, one of my ex-bosses at Royal Mail was a Gary Babbage, great great something nephew of Charles.  Decent enough bloke, especially by the dismal standards of RM managers, as was Peter, but the genius had failed to make the DNA cut.  He was generally known as Barry Cabbage...

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

23 hours ago, The Johnster said:

...Gary Babbage... the genius had failed to make the DNA cut.  He was generally known as Barry Cabbage...

The genius had clearly departed prior his arrival, for that name combination. Parents who simply don't think through the consequences...

Infidelity has a lot to answer for. A previous Mrs Babbage's dalliance with the beautiful but dim curate may have done for his intellectual prospects, and the brilliant son born out of wedlock to the tweeny may never have known where the brainpower came from...

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 03/02/2020 at 12:57, rockershovel said:

Where’s that picture taken, showing a Y6B Mallet and the electric loco together? 

On 03/02/2020 at 16:05, Niels said:

Strasburg, Pennsylvania

Museum in Amish land

I think it is actually the Virginia Museum of Transport in Roanoke, where 2156 is currently on loan from St Louis, it's home.

https://goo.gl/maps/yeSx6XuuLVk6Hjqb8

https://goo.gl/maps/fTRX7c4u4VNVFwsE9

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, melmerby said:

I think it is actually the Virginia Museum of Transport in Roanoke, where 2156 is currently on loan from St Louis, it's home.

https://goo.gl/maps/yeSx6XuuLVk6Hjqb8

https://goo.gl/maps/fTRX7c4u4VNVFwsE9

I think You are right.

It was the Pensylvania Electric that misguided me.

I saw one like that twenty years ago in Strasburg and did not imagine that there was more than one preserved.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Niels said:

I think You are right.

I saw one like that twenty years ago in Strasburg and did not imagine that there was more than one preserved.

There are actually 16 preserved, of which Strasburg has two.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Northroader said:

The GG1 has a transformer using PCB oil for cooling, so it’s a real liability in this day and age to work on, dispose, or change to a modern unit

Not any more, they've all been removed, hence the chance of a working one is zero, unless someone has lots of $$$ to procure a new transformer from somewhere.

Here is a thought. What about a transformer from one of the first UK AC electrics which had 4 x 6.25kV windings? Pair the windings in series and paralelled = 12.5kV :D

Pity about the 25Hz.

Probably also got PCBs in them anyway!:dontknow:

Edited by melmerby
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, melmerby said:

Not any more, they've all been removed, hence the chance of a working one is zero, unless someone has lots of $$$ to procure a new transformer from somewhere.

Here is a thought. What about a transformer from one of the first UK AC electrics which had 4 x 6.25kV windings? Pair the windings in series and paralelled = 12.5kV :D

Pity about the 25Hz.

Probably also got PCBs in them anyway!:dontknow:

Why does it HAVE to use PCB oil?  Transformer oil is normally just very high purity mineral oil; I thought PCBs are a contaminant.  We re-filled the ACs (81-85) with transformer oil when I found about 500 gallons of it at work, in sealed barrels, waiting to be disposed of.....  And you can't have any of our "Old Ladies'" transformers, we might need them in future.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Niels said:

I think You are right.

They are the equivalent of the class 50, including two demic ones sat in NY state...

1 hour ago, AlfaZagato said:

Now I want to see what amount of cutting it would take to wedge a GG1 under UK 25k.

Not nearly enough....

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

13 hours ago, melmerby said:

Pity about the 25Hz.

How sensitive are transformers to frequency anyway? No doubt they can be optimised for a certain range, but I'd have thought one designed to convert 50Hz supply would work, though perhaps less efficiently, at 25Hz.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There is usually more metal in a 25Hz transformer.

I used to have a 400Hz "mains" transformer and the core was much less than an equivalent 50Hz one.

I assume it came from a ship or aircraft.

I used it to make an inverter to drive a 5' fluoresent tube from 12v

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, RLBH said:

How sensitive are transformers to frequency anyway? No doubt they can be optimised for a certain range, but I'd have thought one designed to convert 50Hz supply would work, though perhaps less efficiently, at 25Hz.

Using a transformer designed for 25Hz at 50Hz would result in greater eddy current losses in the core, resulting in it running hotter for a given power. That may or may not be a big issue, but some analysis & testing would need to be done first, otherwise there is a risk of insulation breakdown and/or fire.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1