Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Imaginary Locomotives

8f.

8f with banker assist tender (probably not very successful, I've used the triplex use and 'tender' as inspiration!)

Super-f with assist tender. No idea how useless that would be :)

post-9147-0-85069700-1516725237_thumb.jpg

Those tenders might work a little better for more than just short banking runs if they were a little taller to accomodate a lot of added ballast weight.

• Like 6

Don't use turntables, use wyes instead.  Plenty of room in our parallel universe.

If it's our parallel universe then you could always have a loop under a hill - the loco would enter the tunnel and then exit running in the opposite direction with no reversing... :jester:

Would have to watch the minimum radii though...

Edited by talisman56

• RMweb Gold

If it's our parallel universe then you could always have a loop under a hill - the loco would enter the tunnel and then exit running in the opposite direction with no reversing... :jester:

Would have to watch the minimum radii though...

Why not? The Northern Line did it. Merseyrail still does.

I was just looking at the Irish 071 class, and keep thinking these would be a good base if BR had gone for a version of the SD40-2 instead of the 56. Put the v16 engine in (max 5 tons heavier, maybe a foot longer) and with the flexicoil bogies as fitted to the 071, you could have a 3000BHP ETH fitted 90MPH loco for 110ton, perfect for replacing the 47s. And to use common parts, the same basic loco but with HTC bogies (would need the frame to be longer than the 071 to use said bogies) and lower gearing for freight use.

Anybody any good in art, make one of these up with one extra engine room door for the longer engine in rail freight red stripe ala the 58s.

• RMweb Gold

I was just looking at the Irish 071 class, and keep thinking these would be a good base if BR had gone for a version of the SD40-2 instead of the 56. Put the v16 engine in (max 5 tons heavier, maybe a foot longer) and with the flexicoil bogies as fitted to the 071, you could have a 3000BHP ETH fitted 90MPH loco for 110ton, perfect for replacing the 47s. And to use common parts, the same basic loco but with HTC bogies (would need the frame to be longer than the 071 to use said bogies) and lower gearing for freight use.

Anybody any good in art, make one of these up with one extra engine room door for the longer engine in rail freight red stripe ala the 58s.

Why would you replace the class 47 with something restricted to 90mph? You would want at least 110.

And put simply, wasn’t the class 59 essentially an SD40-2 revised an rearranged for the BR loading gauge? In which case, we already know what it looks like.

Edited by Regularity
  • Like 1

Well we know what the design they chose looks like. I don't know whether those internals would fit in a hood style body within the British loading gauge, though the Irish one isn't that much bigger, so I suspect they could have built 59s to look more like 071s if they had wished.

• Like 1

...Makes me think about making a 'Big Five' at the grouping - if the GCR had combined with some of what in real life became the LNER and the LMS, and possibly the Metropolitan? Then they could continue their existing style and (since they are fictional) possibly buy exotic locos from the British loco manufacturers.

Did the GCR have a large loading gauge?

A logical alternative partner for the GCR is the GWR - they already had a joint operation.  Stir the LBSCR in, and award them the HR as topping.

Other three groups based on:

MR, LSWR and GSWR;

LNWR, L&Y, SECR and CR;

NER, GNR, GER, NBR.

That's competitively superior in making the groups of more similar size, nobbling every group with unprofitable lines, 'donates' Maunsell to the LNWR based group as they sorely need a competent loco designer..

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A logical alternative partner for the GCR is the GWR - they already had a joint operation.  Stir the LBSCR in, and award them the HR as topping.

Other three groups based on:

MR, LSWR and GSWR;

LNWR, L&Y, SECR and CR;

NER, GNR, GER, NBR.

That's competitively superior in making the groups of more similar size, nobbling every group with unprofitable lines, 'donates' Maunsell to the LNWR based group as they sorely need a competent loco designer..

This would undoubtably have helped the MSWJR at grouping, it got put into GWR who promptly ran it down, they just wanted the others NOT to have it.. Had the MR (who were owed money by the MSWJR) and LSWR been grouped the MSWJR would have been a vital link and porbably improved...

Edited by TheQ

• RMweb Gold

How would the GW/GC/LBSC connect with the Highland: more sensible to put it in with the LNWR group.

The other alteration would be to put the Rhymney into the LNWR group, and something similar such as the Taff Vale with the Midland-based group, providing competition for Welsh coal traffic, and access to/from Cardiff for 3 of the groups.

GNoSR with the East Coast group.

Edited by Regularity

• RMweb Gold

So do we end up with the Central and Western Railway, the Great Midland Railway, The London and Northern Railway and the London, Eastern and Scottish Railway?

8f.

8f with banker assist tender (probably not very successful, I've used the triplex use and 'tender' as inspiration!)

Super-f with assist tender. No idea how useless that would be :)

attachicon.gifHornby_R2462.jpg

Those tenders might work a little better for more than just short banking runs if they were a little taller to accomodate a lot of added ballast weight.

I wouldn't mind having a go at a Super 8!

Edited by Corbs

Looks rather handsome I think, especially compared to a shed or a duff... :)

post-238-0-98600600-1516799420_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The Taff Vale were well on their way to amalgamating a group of Welsh-based companies, notably the Taff, Rhymney & Cardiff Railways. The Barry were dead-set against it, seeing it as a larger competitor. The geography of the Taff valley above Cardiff would have much changed, had the amalgamation gone through.

Ian.

• RMweb Premium

If you didn't mind splitting up any of the pre grouping railways, then with a few short links,  goGC to  leeds NE leeds- harrogate in through the mass of North Eastern railways, then back out through  to the NBR and the Waverley route running rights through to just north of perth and the Highland.

Possible back then but highly uneconomic..

You can plan all sorts of imaginantive routes using this.. http://railmaponline.com/UKIEMap.php

Edited by TheQ

A non-starter as this picture against a Mk.3 coach shows.

Looks rather handsome I think, especially compared to a shed or a duff... :)

Sorry, I cannot agree that it is either handsome or better looking than a duff. It's just a series of wardrobes on wheels. (To be honest I'm not enamoured of Cl.58s either.)

I did wonder about that. Did any lines get transferred at the grouping?

Not as far as I can see. Each existing business was incorporated 'entire' into the group it went to. Jointly owned lines (and property such as the Forth rail bridge) were joint between groups (in proportion to previous ownership shares) if the original owning businesses finished up in different groups. A little rationalisation occured in the 1930s between the LMS and LNE over the operational management of the CLC and M&GN, and between the LPTB and LNE on the old Metropolitan line.

It was only with BR that the duplicated lines were transfered into 'geographically rational' region ownership, typically for swift butchery...