Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Imaginary Locomotives

One of the original proposals for grouping saw the GCR being linked in with the GWR. I've always wondered what a 'Director' fitted with a Swindon designed boiler would have looked like and would they have survived the culling of large wheeled 4-4-0's in the late 20's and early 30's? Better yet a Robinson 8D 4-4-2 getting the full Swindon treatment! (Living way down on the other side of the planet I may not need to go into hiding to avoid the wrath of the Great Central enforcers)

Dave R.

It would make sense as the cross country route due to the connection at banbury.

OK, so I'm going a bit off topic, but the speculation above as to what would happen if you crossed a GWR locomotive with something else brought to mind the NSW NN (later C35) class designed by E E Lucy, an ex GWR man who arrived in Sydney to take up a position in a railway system very strongly influenced by LNWR practice:

$_1.JPG

Unfortunately I was unable to find a suitable photo of the real thing that showed the (almost) GWR appearance of the unrebuilt engines.  Try to imagine it without the steam dome and with a six wheel tender instead of a bogie one.

This what you were after Wolseley? NN1315 in mostly original form, believed to be taken at Eveleigh.

post-14921-0-41505300-1483437849_thumb.jpg

Edited by 69843
  • Like 2

This what you were after Wolseley? NN1315 in mostly original form, believed to be taken at Eveleigh.

attachicon.gifNSWGR_Class_C35_Locomotive.jpg

Yes and no.  I was really after something like the original, uncropped version of that photo, as I wanted one that showed the combined lines of the engine and tender.  One thing I did notice when I revisited that photo (which I have seen before) was the small smokebox door, in contrast to the one fitted to 1027 in its official photograph in works grey, as shown on page 48 of David Burke's Man of Steam.  Here are a couple of scans from A Century Plus of Locomotives and Man of Steam to show what I mean.  The second page from A Century Plus of Locomotives also shows how the engines' appearance was drastically altered by their rebuilding in later years.  The new cab may have been an improvement in practical terms, but it did nothing for the appearance of the locomotives.

And I would say that photograph was taken at Eveleigh, rather than was "believed to be taken at Eveleigh."  That building in the background removes any doubt as to where it was taken.

post-30099-0-62361300-1483443235_thumb.jpg

post-30099-0-93033200-1483443261_thumb.jpg

post-30099-0-55966300-1483443280_thumb.jpg

SaveSave

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

A recent article in the Broad Gauge Society magazine "Broadsheet" made me think that, if only Harrison had persisted in the attempt to meet Brunel's specifications, the firm of R&W Hawthorn & Co. might have pre-empted the Beyer-Garratt by quite a few years:

post-19820-0-42131000-1484663574.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I recently stumbled across these GWR 'neverwazzas' on an online auction site...

Brutish looking 2-10-2T

2570_l_zpsxu1jvlps.jpg

28xx-like 2-10-0

2572_l_zpsivss1oay.jpg

A 4-8-0 Cathedral akin to a stretched 'King' rather than the 'Swindon Princess' style 4-6-2

vectis%20cathedral%204-8-0_zpsmctkiy2u.j

A 4-6-2 version of the Cathedral!

vectis%20cathedral%204-6-2_zpspx4ptwvf.j

I don't know what this is but it looks nice

2571_l_zpsshqm4kce.jpg

• Like 13

Brutish looking 2-10-2T

2570_l_zpsxu1jvlps.jpg

28xx-like 2-10-0

2572_l_zpsivss1oay.jpg

A 4-8-0 Cathedral akin to a stretched 'King' rather than the 'Swindon Princess' style 4-6-2

2571_l_zpsshqm4kce.jpg

Wonderful and witty Swindon might have beens.

That last one has no place on this thread, however; it's real!

It's The Crocodile.

This is the rather wonderful Dean one-off No.36 4-6-0.  Dean made some dodgy experimental locos, but this one, conceived as a heavy Goods loco for mineral traffic via the Severn Tunnel seems to have performed well and worked for a number of years.

The design was not repeated, however.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Corbs

If you decide to have a go at building 1 of the 2-10-2s I would be interested to know how you build it so that I could have a try myself.

Aha, one thing at a time my friend ;)

(In typing this I realised I am taking on 3-4 things at the present time, thus proving I can't follow my own advice)

• Like 1

Brutish looking 2-10-2T

2570_l_zpsxu1jvlps.jpg

28xx-like 2-10-0

2572_l_zpsivss1oay.jpg

2571_l_zpsshqm4kce.jpg

Where did you find these please, I've been looking but can't see them

• RMweb Gold

I see that these locos were described by Vivian Cornish in the Model Railway News and the models was produced using those drawings. Are those drawings available anywhere on the web?

I see that these locos were described by Vivian Cornish in the Model Railway News and the models was produced using those drawings. Are those drawings available anywhere on the web?

A quick google finds a mention of some appearing in an RCTS publication if that helps

• RMweb Gold

Shameless double post from the 'Freelance Layouts' thread....

A rather pleasant freelance loco cooked up by an RMWebber many moons ago....
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/454/entry-2313-my-freelance-loco-river-class-2-6-0/
IMG_9187-1.jpg

and another they were working on...
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/454/entry-2849-freelance-scottish-heavy-freight-0-6-4t/

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 2

Shameless double post from the 'Freelance Layouts' thread....

A rather pleasant freelance loco cooked up by an RMWebber many moons ago....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/454/entry-2313-my-freelance-loco-river-class-2-6-0/

IMG_9187-1.jpg

and another they were working on...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/454/entry-2849-freelance-scottish-heavy-freight-0-6-4t/

Shameless repeat approbation.

Believable, yet with a distinct style of its own; on the basis of this model, one could believe in the hitherto unknown CME or Locomotive Superintendent who produced it.